Dash handle delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
if you're anything like me, you have knees and you hate this handle. Not all kj's had them, but my 2005 did. I feel like I have to apologize everytime sometimes gets in the passenger seat. So here's the fix.
First, find a donor at the wrecking yard preferably with the same interior color and get your trim piece. I picked up some inserts and screws to mount this lower tab on the new piece from the hardware store, I should have grabbed them from the donor, you'll see when you get there.
I used tape to get the size and shape of the airbag light.
at this point i thought, "oh no ...chevy? "
moved it over to the mounting area for the handle which also avoided the mounting pins and clips. I mostly used a jigsaw because I don't own a dremel.
3 bolts and a screw on the left and the rubber cover is easier to work with.
lift up the dash cover. Red arrow gives a bit if room for a hand to work back there, yellow is where the wire was, and green is where handle mount was and where drilled a hole big enough for the wire (without drilling wire)
all the holes are there for the new trim, but the cover needs some trimming. I added silver screw in the right.
plug in the wire for the light and snap the trim in place. And now your shins come in contact with the glove box (with the seat way up) before your knees hit some ridiculous handle. Plus the added bonus, when you open the glove box you can see what's in it.
anybody want a supper sweet dash handle?

Lemon-T

Reaction score
if you're anything like me, you have knees and you hate this handle. Not all kj's had them, but my 2005 did. I feel like I have to apologize everytime sometimes gets in the passenger seat. So here's the fix.
First, find a donor at the wrecking yard preferably with the same interior color and get your trim piece. I picked up some inserts and screws to mount this lower tab on the new piece from the hardware store, I should have grabbed them from the donor, you'll see when you get there.
I used tape to get the size and shape of the airbag light.
at this point i thought, "oh no ...chevy? "
moved it over to the mounting area for the handle which also avoided the mounting pins and clips. I mostly used a jigsaw because I don't own a dremel.
3 bolts and a screw on the left and the rubber cover is easier to work with.
lift up the dash cover. Red arrow gives a bit if room for a hand to work back there, yellow is where the wire was, and green is where handle mount was and where drilled a hole big enough for the wire (without drilling wire)
all the holes are there for the new trim, but the cover needs some trimming. I added silver screw in the right.
plug in the wire for the light and snap the trim in place. And now your shins come in contact with the glove box (with the seat way up) before your knees hit some ridiculous handle. Plus the added bonus, when you open the glove box you can see what's in it.
anybody want a supper sweet dash handle?
My wife will thank you immensely for this Mod. As do I. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!