Need help just lost reverse!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

valexium

Reaction score
ok Friends i need help! I am new here i have a 2003 Jeep liberty limited with about 136,000 miles on it. its been driving great until last night i tried to back it up my driveway (slight Incline) and it shuttered really bad and completely lost reverse! when it happened i also got a funny smell in the car not sure if it was burning ****** oil? i used reverse on the very same hill that morning and no problems now nothing. Drive works great just not reverse. i put it in reverse and i think i can hear it shift i checked linkages all fine. please help!

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level? If no reverse what so ever it sound like a bigger issue, I am assuming its an automatic?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With Jeep on Level ground after driving forward 20 min..or so+ Place the Jeep in Neutral, E-brake on, or blocks, and pull the dipstick. Is the ATF+4 fluid at full mark,nice and clean and does it smell burnt at all?
You should have the transmission codes checked with a trans shop that can read them.
Why do I get the feeling the Transmission has never been serviced before?
This should be done every 50k in my mind or sooner.
Jeep dealer does have the fluid exchanger machine, which renews all of the ATF+4 including what is in the torque converter.
As mentioned already, if the fluid is not low, chances are somethings broke or stuck like a solenoid. Get codes read.

Last edited:

valexium

Reaction score
Gone

Well turns out that i fried the reverse clutch. had to do a complete ****** swap. checked the fluid and everything was great so took it out and disassembled it and the clutches inside were gone. got a junkyard ****** with 80,000 miles for $350 and shes running great now!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I am glad you have a working Jeep again.
Thanks for posting the fix, sure sounds like a replacement ****** was in order.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.