"Need help" 04 Liberty code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you ahead of time for all the info i have gathered from everyone. I have searched this code in the fourms with no luck. I have a 04 Lib. with the code 0441-EVAP PURGE PERFORMANCE. :confused:The shop said it had to do with emisions control system and wants to do what he called a "smoke test" ($135) + parts to find what is leaking or broken. I probably know what your thinking??? Smoke test??? Cause i'm thinking the same thing...:D Any ideas where i can start??? I know the jokes are coming too.rollinglaugh.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you ahead of time for all the info i have gathered from everyone. I have searched this code in the fourms with no luck. I have a 04 Lib. with the code 0441-EVAP PURGE PERFORMANCE. :confused:The shop said it had to do with emisions control system and wants to do what he called a "smoke test" ($135) + parts to find what is leaking or broken. I probably know what your thinking??? Smoke test??? Cause i'm thinking the same thing...:D Any ideas where i can start??? I know the jokes are coming too.rollinglaugh.gif
Yep you need the smoke test,it is the only way to find those pesky EVAP leaks,works great for intake leaks also.

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt...e_leak_detection___evap_smoke_tester_use.html

Feel like a a$$ yet?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
tjkj is right.......but if it were me, before I took it in I would try to check all the lines to see if there was an obvious cracked line that I could find. Course this is a good excuse to get a good cuban cigar and light the sukka up and smoke it. (I would not suggest any wacky weed for this proceedure) ......That would be my smoke test. Then I would probably have to take it to the shop.......but only after I checked it the best I could and tried to find an obvious problem........or just get that smoke machine in the link Troy put up. That looks neat.

Dave

PS.just noticed that smoke machine is way too much $$$ for a one time test.

Last edited:

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!!! I would have thought there would have been a better name for something like this? The last thing i want to do is not say anything, have it done, and be the joke on this site for who knows how long. Get my point?? The only stupid question is a question NOT ASKED. Again thanks for the help. Is there any other problems that might come up if i let this one slide for a week or two?

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj is right.......but if it were me, before I took it in I would try to check all the lines to see if there was an obvious cracked line that I could find. Course this is a good excuse to get a good cuban cigar and light the sukka up and smoke it. (I would not suggest any wacky weed for this proceedure) ......That would be my smoke test. Then I would probably have to take it to the shop.......but only after I checked it the best I could and tried to find an obvious problem........or just get that smoke machine in the link Troy put up. That looks neat.

Dave

PS.just noticed that smoke machine is way too much $$$ for a one time test.

Yeah that's what he said.... $135 for just the test!! Parts and labor extra.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you guy's think paying $100+ for a diagnose charge is to high but you got to look at the prices for those highly specialized diag tools.$1000+ for a smoke machine,$6500+ for a good scanner,and the list goes on and on.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you guy's think paying $100+ for a diagnose charge is to high but you got to look at the prices for those highly specialized diag tools.$1000+ for a smoke machine,$6500+ for a good scanner,and the list goes on and on.

Yea, Troy....we are not raging on you mechanic types, but are just trying to get a feel of reasonable prices for diagnostics/repairs we can't do ourselves. There are some shops out there that rip people off and give the good shops a bad name. We know the equipment the shops have is $$$$....that's why we don't have it.

Dave

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would also suggest checking the gas cap. if the seal is bad, it will turn the check engine light on. had this happen to my other car. turned out the seal was bad, just needed a new gas cap. also, don't let the car run when pumping gas, this also will set the code off. may not be your problem, but its worth a check.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would also suggest checking the gas cap. if the seal is bad, it will turn the check engine light on. had this happen to my other car. turned out the seal was bad, just needed a new gas cap. also, don't let the car run when pumping gas, this also will set the code off. may not be your problem, but its worth a check.

Just kind of an update to this problem..... Recently added a fuel system cleaner to the tank and ran it for about 100 miles or so and.....:confused: the check engine light went away. I didn't think the KJ was able to clear it's own codes?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Just kind of an update to this problem..... Recently added a fuel system cleaner to the tank and ran it for about 100 miles or so and.....:confused: the check engine light went away. I didn't think the KJ was able to clear it's own codes?

Very interesting!
I recently added a fuel system cleaner to the tank and ran it through 3/4 of a tank and the check engine light came on for 6 days. I called Chrysler and the Service rep mentioned that due to the "extensively fogged in weather"
(Yup, that's what he said, along with two of service underwriters at two other Chrysler dealerships said.) alot of people are comming in and their cars are throwing fault codes for no reason. Do the "Remove and refit fuel cap and secure properly" and keep an eye on it. Light went out for five days and just came on again. Gut feeling tells me it's caused buy a bad Lambda sensor.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any OBD will clear a code over time, usually so many positive cycles without a sensor being thrown will clear it. I bet you had bad fuel, very common in the winter.

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get this code every third fill up or so. I believe its just the gas cap. If they had put a cap on there that actually got tight instead of having to listen for a click, it probably wouldnt have this problem. I get an average of 20.5 mpg even while the light is on