Napa metal piston caliper issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done replacing the right rear caliper and ran into a problem. I upgraded to Napa metal piston calipers just to find out that the brake pads no longer clip in the piston. Anyone else have this problem? I managed to bend the tabs out so the brake pad will stay somewhat centered, so I'm hoping it will hold up for the long term.

Anyone see a problem?

Napa Phenolic piston caliper:
You must be registered for see images

Napa Metal piston caliper:

Here are the clips on the brake pad I am talking about:

Notice the inner diameter difference of the pistons? Just thought I'd let everyone know since I couldn't find anyone having this problem.

If anyone knows what size brake pad would clip in the metal piston, I would appreciate it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did my brakes I just changed the pads and rotors (NAPA pads and rotors).

You could go back and check with NAPA where you got them?

Dave

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my brakes I just changed the pads and rotors (NAPA pads and rotors).

You could go back and check with NAPA where you got them?

Dave

That's what I usually do, although this time the caliper died. I did check with them, everything is correct and they are as baffled as I am. :boxed:

brokendad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not really that smart but I would say that if the brake pads are right then the caliper must be wrong.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not really that smart but I would say that if the brake pads are right then the caliper must be wrong.

Try explaining that to a sales man. The excuse I got was "if your jeep comes with phenolic calipers, you must use them then! Only the ones that have metal piston calipers can use them...." As far as I know, I thought all libertys came with phenolic piston calipers!

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that. If I'm not mistaken though, I believe Napa is the only one that sells the metal piston version now. I looked at advance auto parts and they didn't have any listed...