My rear axle seals are leaking..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... or at least that's what the dealer's service writer told me yesterday.

I haven't seen any evidence of leaks... there's no oil I can see on the back side of the wheels or backing plates, and there don't seem to be any issues with the brakes... BUT, I don't want to take a chance with the vehicle my daughter drives.

I have average, give or take, mechanical skills and after being quoted $350 EACH, plus replacing the brake shoes, I decided perhaps I could take a stab at making the repairs my self.

I own a 2002 Liberty Limited, 2wd with the 3.7 motor and I've done a "search" for a "How To" on R and R'ing the seals and shoes. I didn't find anything except a DIY for a repair of a front axle seal.

Is this a job best left to those with greater than average skills... and is there a "How To" on the procedure?

Thanks for any help...

Oh, one more thing... I was also informed the coolant in my Jeep was "goopy", as in too thick and that I needed to have the entire cooling system flushed and refilled... RIGHT NOW!

Now, I've never heard of "goopy" coolant, but hey, things change. This Jeep has only 50,000 miles on it and the coolant was replaced at about 30,000 miles. I kinda feel as if my chain's gettin' yanked, but thought I'd ask rather than allow the system to fail.

Again, thanks for any input...

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the rear seals pull off the rear wheels pull of the brake drums and if you can't tell by then post a picture. ? Did the dealer do this , if so they should have shown you the leaks and how bad it was. If you weren't there at that time a good shop should have offered to do that for you.

Latest posts

Members online