My Jeep Liberty Build Thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided to start an official thread over on PNWJeep.com. I figured I would share some of that with you guys.

Here are my intentions as of right now:

[*]Remove or disconnect rear sway bar. Done

[*]Install skid plates. Mopar except for the plastic gas tank, thinking Kilby Edit: Mopar skid plates arrived. Still need to get a rear skid. :cool:

[*]Install rock rails.

[*]Install rear hitch. Done

Here are my longer term goals

[*]Re-gear to 4.10 gears.

[*]Detroit TruTrac in front.

[*]Rear locker, ARB or Eaton E-Locker.

[*]32" Tires

[*]Bumper made of metal.

[*]Winch

My goal is to make the Liberty able to tackle most of the trails around my state but still be my DD.

Last edited:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went to actually do something with the Jeep instead of just talking about it. I break out my 43 year old creeper with the intent of examining my rear sway bar for removal or disconnection. I get down on it and this happens.

You must be registered for see images

Oops :eek:

I might need to get a sturdier creeper.

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, yeah. Good thing I wasn't trying to lay on it as the poor thing would have imploded :p

Rear swaybar can be a bit of a pain to get out (at least mine was) but you'll probably never notice that it's gone on highway - off highway you'll see more flex :D

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next on my agenda is a tow hitch. It will primarily be used for a rear recovery point, which is probably more taxing than standard towing.

I saw one at WalMart made by Reese that consists of two boxes that total about $110. Boxes A and B. One containing the hitch and one box containing the mounts. I am a little bit apprehensive about it because it bolts together. Am I just being paranoid?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to remove the rear sway bar today. The bolt is smaller than a Craftsman 3/4" but bigger than a Craftsman 11/16" or Made in China 3/4"
I need some more metric tools.

Got the vibration dampener off.
You must be registered for see images attach

These shocks are less than a year old and already rusting.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next on my agenda is a tow hitch. It will primarily be used for a rear recovery point, which is probably more taxing than standard towing.

I saw one at WalMart made by Reese that consists of two boxes that total about $110. Boxes A and B. One containing the hitch and one box containing the mounts. I am a little bit apprehensive about it because it bolts together. Am I just being paranoid?

Midnight......I would get a one piece hitch. Maybe that's just me. If there is a camper sales place anywhere near you they sell hitches and drawbars and such. Another place is Tractor Supply believe it or not.

I have the OEM one and it is one piece and has 6 graded bolts.......not 4 like some hitches have. First get the gas tank skid. That goes on first, and the hitch bolts right over it. I guess what I am trying to say is if you got the hitch first and then the gas tank skid, then you would need to take the hitch back off to install both the skid and hitch. Since I had the OEM tow package with the factory hitch, I had to take it off to install the skid.

Put a little locktite on the bolt threads when you install them.

Then you can get a drawbar and shackle.

Nice Jeep.

Dave

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my engine and transmission skids on.

I didnt know the engine skid wasn't standard? Was I just a lucky sap to have the engine skid from the factory, or is it more rare to be without the factory armor?

how much did you have to pay for that skid kit btw? :confused:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt know the engine skid wasn't standard? Was I just a lucky sap to have the engine skid from the factory, or is it more rare to be without the factory armor?

how much did you have to pay for that skid kit btw? :confused:

For the Engine, Trans, and TC were a grand total of $172.40 after tax. The dealer gave me a 15% discount. The Kilby skid for the gas tank is going to be $285 when I get it.

Last edited:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I finally removed the rear sway bar, which was a total PITA. I had to remove one tire to get to the bolt so I rotated them too.

After that was all done I installed the transfer case skid.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have an LSD upfront I want a selectable in the rear. However, the only selectable locker for the Chryco 8.25 I can find is the ARB. Unless anyone can find me a South American KJ D44. Fairly spendy considering I want front and rear 4.10 gears too. Is there an alternate?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well last night I noticed I had a head light out so I went to Wal-Mart today and grabbed the headlights and while meandering through I saw a can of dark blue Krylon Fusion spray paint. I got this wild hair and here is what I did.

For some reason the lid matches my Jeep better than the paint actually does. Opinions.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I got the right color but I still need to put on another coat and then if it looks right a clear coat. Opinions now.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Personally I would have left it black to match the trim... just my opinion. :D

Try getting some better shots of it in the daylight, it might look better in natural light.The second color is waaaay better than the first though.