My Jeep is missing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a call yesterday from the body shop, won't have it back until next Friday at the earliest. This really *****, I already have been out of it for 2 weeks and have to wait at least another. ](*,)

2003KJ

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
I got a call yesterday from the body shop, won't have it back until next Friday at the earliest. This really *****, I already have been out of it for 2 weeks and have to wait at least another. ](*,)

Well, they should have it fixed properly then, and it will be worth the wait.

JamesK

Reaction score
Ok - so what is the point of having keys with electronic security chips if some
punk can just crack open the steering column and hot wire the jeep??? (Aeh)

My understanding is that the engine shuts off within 45 seconds if the jeep is
not started with the key - was i lied to about this?

2003KJ

Reaction score
JamesK said:

My understanding is that the engine shuts off within 45 secon

If you have the Sentry Key option on your Jeep. That was generally available on the Limiteds only.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JamesK said:

You were lied to. Its 3 seconds, not 45.. lol

He didnt have the sentry key.. If you have the chip they cannot "hot wire" it..

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't have the sentry key, I believe we talked about that earlier in the thread. Does anyone know if you can upgrade to the sentry key after the fact? My guess is even if you could, it would be to costly to be worth it...i would just rather have that then going with some aftermarket alarm and losing my factory key fob and stuff too...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
JamesK said:

You were lied to. Its 3 seconds, not 45.. lol

He didnt have the sentry key.. If you have the chip they cannot "hot wire" it..

My '06 is 0 seconds. If the sentry key isn't present, it doesn't start at all.

It's so short on my sister's '05, you don't even have enough time to shift into reverse.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
Yeah I don't have the sentry key, I believe we talked about that earlier in the thread. Does anyone know if you can upgrade to the sentry key after the fact? My guess is even if you could, it would be to costly to be worth it...i would just rather have that then going with some aftermarket alarm and losing my factory key fob and stuff too...

Dont know about the newer ones, but I added sentry key to my '02 without hassle. I think the parts were about $100, and I think I paid $30 or $40 for the dealer to reprogram the BCM. Worthwile addition. Check http://www.mydodgeparts.com/ for the kit, see if its available. Should work with your fob w/o issue.

-Blu

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
Dont know about the newer ones, but I added sentry key to my '02 without hassle. I think the parts were about $100, and I think I paid $30 or $40 for the dealer to reprogram the BCM. Worthwile addition. Check http://www.mydodgeparts.com/ for the kit, see if its available. Should work with your fob w/o issue.

-Blu

You don't happen to have a receipt with those part numbers do you? I can't find it on that site...I would much rather do that than put in an aftermarket alarm if I could. Shouldn't be a difference between your '02 and my '03 with that I would think.

Edit: I did find a few kits on there, but not sure which one would be right.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have keyless entry, you want this one. (This is from mydodgeparts.com)

82207139 $144.00 $144.00
EVS II Security System w/Sentry Key and Interior Theft Senso
2002-2004 Liberty For vehicles w/remote keyless entry system, complete kit includespanic feature, interior theft sensor, Sentry Key immobilizer and electronically coded ignition keys, no wiring needed.

Dont plug it in yourself tho, let the dealer do it. You can mount it if you want, but dont plug it in. If you do, your jeep wont start anymore. They need to cut the keys included with this, and reprogram the bcm per the directions that come with it. You can install the shock sensor yourself if you want, I never did mine and have no plans to.

The Sentry key bit enables the alarm in the BCM. When you've armed it, if a door is opened the horn will go off like mad. If the vehicle is started with a non-sentry key, it will cut the engine in ~2seconds. (NOTE, if you have a sentry key on the same ring, it will work, found that out in the dealers parking lot). It also enables a little red blinking light in the dash when armed.

I'm glad I did it, it was fairly inexpensive, works well, and is passive.

Let me know if you have any questions - I scanned the directions to pdf if you want to preview the installation guide. (NOTE This is sentry key only, not the shock sensor)

-Blu

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the help...it sounds like a good idea to me...I'd much rather have that than some sort of aftermarket alarm... "protected by viper, stand back" [-X

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
I appreciate the help...it sounds like a good idea to me...I'd much rather have that than some sort of aftermarket alarm... "protected by viper, stand back" [-X
I love those! \:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
thecause17 said:

Apparently you've never worked on a vehicle with one of those alarms on it.....it's like Russian Roulette....you never know when the damn thing is going to go off.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Marlon_JBT said:
thecause17 said:

Apparently you've never worked on a vehicle with one of those alarms on it.....it's like Russian Roulette....you never know when the damn thing is going to go off.
Hmm... next time I'll use

<sarcasm>I love those! \:D/ </sarcasm>

lol3.gif

2003KJ

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
2003KJ said:
Marlon_JBT said:
thecause17 said:

Hmm... next time I'll use

<sarcasm>I love those! \:D/ </sarcasm>

lol3.gif

hey alot of people like them....myself, i despise them.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Mopar kit is the way to go, at least when you go to sell it you can say it was stolen once then I did this and now they can't and haven't since.

A friend of mine has a stock 02 and hers has been stolen at least 2 times, maybe 3 and she can't sell it because everything shows up on Carfax.

2003KJ

Reaction score
timmer said:
I think the Mopar kit is the way to go, at least when you go to sell it you can say it was stolen once then I did this and now they can't and haven't since.

A friend of mine has a stock 02 and hers has been stolen at least 2 times, maybe 3 and she can't sell it because everything shows up on Carfax.

two, maybe THREE times? And she doesn't have anything yet to keep it from happening?

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
timmer said:

two, maybe THREE times? And she doesn't have anything yet to keep it from happening?

I don't really know all of the particulars and I've only seen her once since Katrina. I will let her know about the Mopar kit when I see her again though.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. its really a good addition. What I like about it is that it's totally passive, you lock your car like you would anyway, and the alarm is active, and the thing wont start without a sentry key, even if they manage to hotwire it, if the sentry keys not around it'll die after a couple seconds.

-Blu

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my Ranger had that key, my only complaint was the cost of getting new keys cut and programmed at the dealer.

The car next to my Jeep the night they were broken into was broken into also. It was a Mitsu Galant. I think it must have had the same sort of key because it was broken into exactly as mine was, and you could see where they tried to hotwire it, but never got the car. The only thing about this type of set-up though, is that the car still got broken into, and had interior damage. Since they couldn't steal it, they just ripped through it trying to find anything they could.