My Jeep is missing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I got home from work at 1am as usual....everything was normal. I slept in thismorning until about 11am. When I got up, I checked my e-mail, and had an e-mail in my account saying that I had opened a claim on my Jeep.

I was confused, because i didn't. Confused, and a little worried that someone hit my Jeep overnight I went outside to check it out. When I went outside to the place in the lot where I parked, it wasn't there. Now I was upset.

I called my insurance company, they stated that a witness had heard a car leave in a hurry and looked outside. Apparently she found my insurance card on the ground, and called to report the possibility of it being stolen...which it was.

So now my Jeep is gone, and I have no car. To make things worse, my girlfriend just bought an '04 Grand Cherokee with low miles on it las tmonday, and the starter went bad yesterday also...now neither of us have cars, and the rental agencies are closed until monday.

I had the police here also, they informed me that two cars were stolen, including mine, and several were broken into...this is the first time this has happened where I live, they the apartment management is pretty shocked about it, it's a really nice area.

So I'm not sure whats gonna happen, i'm pretty sad about it, i've only had it two months, and really liked it.

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That *****!! I saw for the first time a red one (Freedom Edition) just like yours this afternoon at the Lowes parking lot in Sioux City, IA. I noticed because I've never seen the Editions before. Sweet ride. I am pretty sure it had IA license plates.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it *****, I'm having a hard time comprehending that it's actually gone...that someone else could be driving my car right now.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, from my experiences, when they actually recover a stolen vehicle they are usually trashed pretty bad. Hopefully you have full coverage and can get it replaced. It is sometimes best not to get them back. ****** and engine problems usually occur after recovery because of how they were abused while they were missing.

Sorry for your misfortune, good luck in whatever happens in this situation.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my god, it sounds terrible and I am sure you still think your jeep stays where it always is. I would hate life so much if it happened to me, but still hopefully your insurance will not require too long period before it is claimed as %100 loss and replace it with a new vehicle.

Did you lock your jeep? are there any glass around? how can they hot wire and run it so quickly, did you have anti-theft?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have full coverage on it of course. If they dont recover it within 30 days it'll be considered a total loss. The other car was recovered earlier today, but i'm not sure of the damage. If they do recover it, then it has to be looked at by an insurance adjuster to determine damage and such.

I found a piece of plastic where it was parked, which I determined to be from the steering column sourround, broken when they ripped it off to hot wire it. The car that was next to mine that they didn't steal had similar damage, although mine had no broken glass, even though I locked it...since mine doesn't have an alarm, I think they got in with a "slim jim" which I've done myself on past cars that I locked my keys inside of.

It's just a bad situation, and I hope this works out ok. I really liked it, and it'll be hard for me to find another freedom edition in as good as shape as mine was, if they replace it, i just hope I get a fair value for it, as I still owe over $10k on it. :(

2003KJ

Reaction score
OMG dude i'm soooo sorry. It hurts to think an innocent libby is out there getting trashed by a bunch of no good punks.

I hope the best for you and this turns out good. As mentioned above chances are it's been abused. Even if they do recover it, it might not be worth taking back due to the mechanical problems you might have down the road.

Since yours is a 4x4, theres a good possibility the punks are trashing it off road.

I'm not trying to make you feel worse about this, as I know that it's already hard enough. Just trying to make you aware of what you might could expect if they recover it.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a call from the police and they recovered it...that's the good news.

The bad news, it has damage to the steering column(which I expected) and to the windows, which i'm not sure when the damage there happened cause they was no glass here on the ground.

The really bad news, it was involved in car jackings, and I can't even get it back at this point because they are taking prints and processing the vehicle, not to mention repairing the damage.

2003KJ

Reaction score
It might be better for you. Otherwise you're just gonna wonder what the damage looked like.

Plus you say they're repairing it? I'd go see the damage done to it that way you can see if the repairs are to your satisfaction.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
It might be better for you. Otherwise you're just gonna wonder what the damage looked like.

Plus you say they're repairing it? I'd go see the damage done to it that way you can see if the repairs are to your satisfaction.

No they're not repairing it yet, it's being held for processing by the police department because it was involved in a crime, after they release it to me I'll have to get it towed or have the insurance company go to that lot that it's on before I'm able to take it. My insurance company said ealier today that i wouldn't be able to take it until the damaged was appraised. So I still might end up having a rental for at least a week, maybe 2, depending on how long it takes to get repaired....

2003KJ

Reaction score
Man I really hate this for you. Do keep us informed on the progress.

See if you can get pictures of the damage eventually.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure of that, but I say if anyone steels my wheels they better not recover it. I know it is one hell of a ordeal to go through, but you never know what the hell these a$$h*les take my beloved jeep through. Of course it's easy to say when not experience it, but still it ***** to think/guess about what they done that insurance ppl missed. I don't think they will take it through comprehensive inspection.

I thought all jeeps come with sentry key? the one with the chip in it, that's a really cheap upgrade that can save a whole lot in the future. Also I would have loved it if sentry poked spikes out of drivers seat if someone fiddled with column and stick them in the @ss.

I am not sure about the title history, but you might want to check carfax website, if they have FAQ on it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Not sure of that, but I say if anyone steels my wheels they better not recover it. I know it is one hell of a ordeal to go through, but you never know what the hell these a$$h*les take my beloved jeep through. Of course it's easy to say when not experience it, but still it ***** to think/guess about what they done that insurance ppl missed. I don't think they will take it through comprehensive inspection.

I thought all jeeps come with sentry key? the one with the chip in it, that's a really cheap upgrade that can save a whole lot in the future. Also I would have loved it if sentry poked spikes out of drivers seat if someone fiddled with column and stick them in the @ss.

I am not sure about the title history, but you might want to check carfax website, if they have FAQ on it.

DUDE!! I leave for ONE day and this happens! Gosh it ***** when I cannot get on the internet.. So sorry to hear about this! Glad they got it back though. The only thing is you know they were ******* it. IE, flooring it everytime they took off when the engine was cold and such..

Its cool that the person found the insurance card and called it in as stolen though.. You were ahead of the game and didnt even know it. I would give that person a hug.. \:D/

Well, good luck to ya. Hopefully you will get everything sorted out and all will be well.

I just got back from visiting my family after their home decor business caught on fire. It was a total loss.. :-s

Edit: Not all libbys have the sentry key.. Only if your key is gray. I believe youve got to have an alarm system also.. :-s

Sorry about your girls jeep also? Kinda strange the starter went bad on an 04? Just a bad starter I guess? O:)

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine doesn't have the sentry key. A freedom edition is still considered a Sport, they just add all the extras to it, but I still don't have things like the security, power seats, etc...

Yeah my girlfriends only has 22k miles on it, really odd that it had a problem like that, it's all just totally bad timing, because they can't even work on hers until tomorrow, and she works tomorrow, so I gotta drive her to work, now I don't have my Jeep and the rental agencys are closed til Monday...so I have a loaner car from my grandmother until I go and get a rental on Monday. And if her Jeep isn't done by the afternoon Monday, she'll need a rental too, because we're both working that day. I have rental coverage though so I'm not too worried about that. I would like to be with the insurance adjuster because I know exactly what damage it'll have if I look at it...which won't be hard, because it was immaculate o start with. I'll be pushing to have everything I find fixed, and I plan to drive it also before it gets repaired to check suspension and things. I just had the dealer order my new balljoints for the recall the day before too, who knows when i can get that done now, hopefully the same time as the rest of it. I still don't know if I'm goign to keep it or not. I owe less than it;s worth, even trade in on it on NADA is $13.5k, and i owe like $10k on it, so I could still turn aroun and add cash and make a nice down payment on something, I dunno, I even thought about going backwards to a low milage Cherokee, or even another Liberty. I really don't know at this point.