My Hypertech came in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my new Hypertech in and got the Jeep programmed up this evening.

It was very easy. I hooked it up to my PC and had to update it (had to run a virtual Windows session - you can't update via Linux), which took about 5 minutes and it was updated and ready to go.

The programming itself took about 10 minutes and the truck has much more torque and power and overall driveability is greatly improved.

I did notice that the thermostat being set to 180F didn't seem to make any different according to my Scangauge 2, and the shift points are not adjustable and tires are not adjustable on my particular Jeep, I had thought I had read other people that said they had changed these things..

Anyone will with a Hypertech? Even without those features I highly, highly recommend this unit.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you have to change the thermostat its self to a 180 as well. I did an 07 once and didn't do the thermostat of course no shift point but I seem to remember setting the tire size. Was able to change the speed ratting and could peg the Speedo though. Not sure how long it took for but did notice small differences.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't change the thermostat
the 3.7s made to run at a higher temp, lowering it to 180 would screw up the mileage etc

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you have to change the thermostat its self to a 180 as well. I did an 07 once and didn't do the thermostat of course no shift point but I seem to remember setting the tire size. Was able to change the speed ratting and could peg the Speedo though. Not sure how long it took for but did notice small differences.

Doh, I must be a dumb%@!. Now that I think about it, the physical thermostat would have to be changed as well.

Don't change the thermostat
the 3.7s made to run at a higher temp, lowering it to 180 would screw up the mileage etc

I didn't really think of that. So there is really no benefit to having it run cooler? It doesn't have any cooling issues now at all so there is no reason I lowered it in the first place, but it hasn't actually been lowered. I'm going to run out this tank of gas and when it's empty I'm going to give the premium gas program a try and I will remove the 180T-stat at that time.

Another question - if any of you KJ guys were in my area, what is stopping me from programming your KJ up for you? This programmer seems to work on multiple vehicles and it doesn't have to be in the car anymore after it is programmed. I have a buddy with a Pacifica and the model I purchased will program his Pacifica as well, you just have to plug it up to the computer and update it to a different vehicle.

If this is possible and anyone in my area is interested hit me up!

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my new Hypertech in and got the Jeep programmed up this evening.

It was very easy. I hooked it up to my PC and had to update it (had to run a virtual Windows session - you can't update via Linux), which took about 5 minutes and it was updated and ready to go.

The programming itself took about 10 minutes and the truck has much more torque and power and overall driveability is greatly improved.

I did notice that the thermostat being set to 180F didn't seem to make any different according to my Scangauge 2, and the shift points are not adjustable and tires are not adjustable on my particular Jeep, I had thought I had read other people that said they had changed these things..

Anyone will with a Hypertech? Even without those features I highly, highly recommend this unit.

Why not set up a dual boot with linux and windows? Thats what i did since i only need windows for silverlight to watch netflix. I have a small partition for window, and another to mess around with other distros (fedora, kubuntu, etc) anf the rest is my main partition running ubuntu

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually you can only program 1 vehicle at at time with a programmer like that.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not set up a dual boot with linux and windows? Thats what i did since i only need windows for silverlight to watch netflix. I have a small partition for window, and another to mess around with other distros (fedora, kubuntu, etc) anf the rest is my main partition running ubuntu

Same purpose. Just more resource heavy. If he doesn't use it, it aint worth the disk space.

PS - you're a computer nerd AND a KJ freak? This is gonna be mad creepy but come be my best friend...! :D

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same purpose. Just more resource heavy. If he doesn't use it, it aint worth the disk space.

PS - you're a computer nerd AND a KJ freak? This is gonna be mad creepy but come be my best friend...! :D

I've actually had a dual boot for several years (different distro's and versions of windows) but most recently ditched the dual boot and ran solely 'nix.

Usually you can only program 1 vehicle at at time with a programmer like that.

So can I program multiple Jeep KJ's?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not the type of vehicle, just 1 specific vehicle at a time. I have a Superchips loaded on my truck and an SCT on the Jeep. I can't program any other vehicles with them until I return them to stock and unload the aftermarket programming. Otherwise you could buy 1 programmer and hook up all your friends; then your friends wouldn't go buy one for themselves.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's locked to your jeep so no, it cannot program another kj. If you return your Kj to stock then you can program another vehicle.

Personally I'm disappointed in my hypertect tuner. May be able to notice a little in the upper end but normal everyday driving is unchanged.

The 180 is the temp at which the electric fan comes on. Has nothing to do with the Tstat. I always thought it would be useful for towing to help keep the ****** cooler. Otherwise the fan kicks on at 218 or so.

Latest posts

Members online