My CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mule4x4

Reaction score
I have an '05 CRD ..and have a check engine light that no one has been able to figure out. The code I have says it's for #1 Cylinder Glow Plug Circuit ...but all the tests indicate that there is nothing wrong with any of the glow plugs. The engine seems to start just fine even in very cold weather. The dealership I had it to first wanted to replace the injector ...but then said that they were hesitant because they were afraid they would strip the threads ..or something like that..told me to drive it as it is. I then took it to a well know (in this area) diesel shop, and they think it's a faulty code ...also told me to just drive it the way it is. I just don't like having the check engine light on all the time. has anyone else had a problem like this? I'm beginning to think that i just haven't found anyone that knows anything about this engine. if it was the glow plug circuit, wouldn't I be having starting issues? At lease i would think that one cylinder would knock and smoke ...just don't know what to do next.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an '05 CRD ..and have a check engine light that no one has been able to figure out. The code I have says it's for #1 Cylinder Glow Plug Circuit ...but all the tests indicate that there is nothing wrong with any of the glow plugs. The engine seems to start just fine even in very cold weather. The dealership I had it to first wanted to replace the injector ...but then said that they were hesitant because they were afraid they would strip the threads ..or something like that..told me to drive it as it is. I then took it to a well know (in this area) diesel shop, and they think it's a faulty code ...also told me to just drive it the way it is. I just don't like having the check engine light on all the time. has anyone else had a problem like this? I'm beginning to think that i just haven't found anyone that knows anything about this engine. if it was the glow plug circuit, wouldn't I be having starting issues? At lease i would think that one cylinder would knock and smoke ...just don't know what to do next.

Have you checked over on LOSTJEEPs , great CRD section where most everyone hangs out that has one of them. I'm sure they can help

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Tom's right about LOST JEEPS and most everything else.

I f your glowplugs are ceramic 7volt they should be replaced before they come apart and cost you some valves or the whole engine. ID Parts sells metal 7volt glow plugs. The dealership route goes with metal 5volt glow plugs which requires a reprogram of the computer or different controller, can't exactly remember.

Sounds like your dealer isn't interested, qualified, or capable of doing CRD work. Best you don't let that specific dealer work on it. Really most jeep dealers haven't proven any competency working on the CRD. There are a few guys, like "Geordi", who travel around doing timing belt changes and everything else the little bomb needs if you're not mechanically inclined. If you are mechanically inclined it will be a challenge involving expensive special tools and several expensive mods to keep you and your CRD happy.

Latest posts

Members online