My brake rotors are warped at 10,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 2006 inspected today and I mentioned to them about the slight shimmy I get when braking, They came back with a $300 quote to replace my warped rotors. I was pissed! I don't even have 11,000 miles on the damned thing and my rotors are bad!

The stealership service manager agreed that they were probably defective but since we were past the twelve month "fix everything" period I was basically screwed. I asked him if this was a problem with Liberty rotors in general and he said no, I asked him will it do it again in 10,000 miles after I get new ones and he gave me a stupid look and shrugged.

Two Questions:

Is anyone else replacing rotors this early?

What aftermarket brand would be a reliable alternative?, (for $300 I could probably get titanium-enriched gourmet uber-tacticool slotted rotors hand-made in the mountains of Germany) I want to stay away from the local parts store Chinese specials.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing at 12k but I just had them re-surfaced. Im at 31k now and they are still doing great.

I believe it was $15 or so to have them re-surfaced and I took them off and put them on myself.

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 2006 inspected today and I mentioned to them about the slight shimmy I get when braking, They came back with a $300 quote to replace my warped rotors. I was pissed! I don't even have 11,000 miles on the damned thing and my rotors are bad!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your vehicle have the remainder of it's 3 year/36,000 mile warranty? If the service manager agreed that they are probably defective than I would tell them to fix it under warranty or you will go to Chrysler directly with a complaint. The least they should do is resurface the rotors if not replace them all together. I work part-time, in detail/vehicle prep, at a 5 Star Dodge Jeep dealership and there is no way we (the service dept) would pull something like that on a customer. Good luck getting them fixed.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your vehicle have the remainder of it's 3 year/36,000 mile warranty? If the service manager agreed that they are probably defective than I would tell them to fix it under warranty or you will go to Chrysler directly with a complaint. The least they should do is resurface the rotors if not replace them all together. I work part-time, in detail/vehicle prep, at a 5 Star Dodge Jeep dealership and there is no way we (the service dept) would pull something like that on a customer. Good luck getting them fixed.
Rotors,pads,drums,shoes,and clutches are only covered for like the first 7500-10,000miles due to being a high wear item.Those parts are not covered under the 3/36,000 BTB warrenty after that time frame unless you buy OEM parts and have them installed at a dealer then you get a 1 year/12,000mile warranty on parts and labor.

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would tend to agree, but the part that stood out to me was that the service manager agreed that the rotors were defective. That brings this to a level above and beyond normal wear and tear issues; It becomes a question of the difference between a faulty product and a fully-functional product that wore out more quickly than normal. And even if they weren't faulty, the least they could do is turn the rotors for free to keep/make a customer happy and not bad mouth their business.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The warranty for wear items is 12 months and 12,000 miles... brakes/clutch, etc.

And wow... my sister's KJ has 49k on it and has the original rotors on all 4 wheels and even original brake pads in the rear. (That I think need to finally be replaced...)

I did have a rear brake issue with my '06 KJ though, the pads wore out at 21k. I thought that was a bit early and the front pads were fine.

Even if the rotors were defective, the dealership isn't going to push Chrysler to warranty the items. Why? They make more $$$ with your cash than warranty money.

Last edited:

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The warranty for wear items is 12 months and 12,000 miles... brakes/clutch, etc.

Even if the rotors were defective, the dealership isn't going to push Chrysler to warranty the items. Why? They make more $$$ with your cash than warranty money.

I'll end my input with this, but all I have to say is the frequent use of the term "stealership" and responses like the others in this thread leads me to believe that I'm pretty luck to work at the dealership I'm at. If this were a vehicle purchased from us and maintained by us I'm 99% positive that they would at the least resurface the rotors for free if not replace them if resurfacing wasn't an option.
If they have become faulty and are covered under warranty in any way...
they should be replaced. I still don't see how they can be covered while not being covered by the warranty...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll end my input with this, but all I have to say is the frequent use of the term "stealership" and responses like the others in this thread leads me to believe that I'm pretty luck to work at the dealership I'm at. If this were a vehicle purchased from us and maintained by us I'm 99% positive that they would at the least resurface the rotors for free if not replace them if resurfacing wasn't an option.
If they have become faulty and are covered under warranty in any way... they should be replaced. I still don't see how they can be covered while not being covered by the warranty...
Are you willing to work for free?

I'm not and I don't know one mechanic that would work for free either(unless for a friend,not at work though).Nobody(mechanic) would touch it unless they got the full labor pay for it.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rotors were the same at 10,000 km, but since then they seem to have improved. I now have 46,000km.

Eurothrasher

Reaction score
Can the Rotors be turned down some ?

Since you have under 15,000 miles on these factory warped rotors, any good brake shop should be able to turn them down a few thousands of an inch to straighten them out.

Then make sure to replace the brake pads as well or you may end up with more problems down the road....

And make sure they do not over tighten the lugs and do so in criss cross pattern when replacing the rims. Done incorrectly will warp a rotors too.

That should be substancially cheaper :)

Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.