mx3_ryder's '02 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing done and cover back on!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Parts pile is sliming down

Daddy's little helper

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let my progress fool you people, this is not by any means a hard swap.
It can easily be done over a full weekends time no problem with all appropriate bolts, gaskets etc. sourced and in hand of course.
I try to work on the project bare minimum a few hours a week, but should still be on track to having it running by the end of this month.
I've lost time here and there ordering parts from dealer etc., but has allowed me to take my time getting it right the first time.
Plans for up coming weekend are bolting on the exhaust manifolds, installing egr block off, taking engine off stand and bolting on flywheel and removing dowel pins from bell housing.
I will then proceed to clean engine bay before installing engine.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're doing great! Can't wait to see the transplant start to beat!! Thanks for all the pics...this thread should be a "How-To" sticky...

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're doing great! Can't wait to see the transplant start to beat!! Thanks for all the pics...this thread should be a "How-To" sticky...

Thanks Twowings!!
Not sure if I am the first or not to install a 2012 engine in an 02. :shrug:
There is already a sticky in the How To section by TwoBobsKJ, but should be edited to state that all 3.7L engine through 2012 will swap.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be getting up early Sunday to work on the project so I've added installing the engine to the to-do list. Wish me luck!! :big_banana_Dance:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:favorites13: Go for it!

*waiting for the Live Streaming feed* :gr_grin:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine's in!! Liked it so much it's coming back out just so I can put it back in a second time... :emotions34:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally missed the part of fitting my torque converter before mating the engine to ******. The new engine has an insert with smaller bore pressed into the end of the crankshaft to accept newer torque converters. I did read something about removing a pilot bearing, but figured if the engine is from an automatic, it would not have a pilot bearing. Didn't realize that when everyone says pilot bearing, they're referring to the insert. So, next weekend I will be pulling the engine back out to remove the insert. :mad3:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:gr_grin:Hey, if everything else fit, you got it made! Look at it as engine install practice....:gr_grin:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:gr_grin:Hey, if everything else fit, you got it made! Look at it as engine install practice....:gr_grin:

Yes, very blessed that everything else fit considering I've never seen or read about the swap with a 2012 3.7L. :icon_smile:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the engine with everything mounted minus the intake manifold.
Intake will be mounted after engine is installed to make accessing the 2 top bell housing bolts easier.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Twowings!!
Not sure if I am the first or not to install a 2012 engine in an 02. :shrug:
There is already a sticky in the How To section by TwoBobsKJ, but should be edited to state that all 3.7L engine through 2012 will swap.

Done! This is a great write-up by the way :waytogo:

Totally missed the part of fitting my torque converter before mating the engine to ******. The new engine has an insert with smaller bore pressed into the end of the crankshaft to accept newer torque converters. I did read something about removing a pilot bearing, but figured if the engine is from an automatic, it would not have a pilot bearing. Didn't realize that when everyone says pilot bearing, they're referring to the insert. So, next weekend I will be pulling the engine back out to remove the insert. :mad3:

Yea, that little pilot bearing insert is frustrating. Thankfully I didn't have to take my bearing out but knew to look for it thanks to a forum post I read somewhere about the different sized torque converter 'noses.'

Lots of "deja vu" reading through this thread. Even your engine hoist is the same as mine ;) I've told my wife that if this engine goes bad I'll just swap in another one. The project is really very straightforward - after the engine swap I've basically updated the entire drivetrain/powertrain since I put in a new ****** right after I got it (dealer knew it was bad when they sold it to me so put in a new one.) Rev. Mudd and I put in new front and rear diffs too.

Great project!

Bob

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine is finally bolted in this time!! Fit like a glove with the insert removed from the crank. :icon_lol:

Here is a picture of the insert that needs to be removed when bolting up 04 or newer engine to a 45RFE transmission and also the dremel cutter tool that only took 5 minutes to remove it.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inspection plate and starter are bolted up as well. Almost forgot to install the thin spacer that fits between the engine and ****** so don't forget this crucial piece guys or gals considering a swap...Phew!! Had to take driver's side catalytic converter off to squeeze starter in. Also, had to swap over bolt for the starter ground which you want to do and hook up before engine is completely lowered into cradle, located just behind oil filter by engine mount. Swapping over oil pressure sensor from donor is needed and all this is easier done before installing engine. Of course the cam position sensor is different, but you'll find that when installing the donor tone ring cause it won't fit with new sensor as they are longer and plugs are different. This Saturday I will be installing fuel rail and injectors and hooking up all the wiring. I ran a tap through power steering pump holes and cleaned out any debris that may have been in the threads. There are 6 holes in the head for the power steering pump and the ones that weren't being used on the newer models are the holes needed for later years. I will then proceed to re install power steering pump and lines, serpentine belt, ac lines, coolant lines, air box, install battery, fill with fluids and fire her up!!

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another order placed with dealer this afternoon for 1 crankcase breather and 1 crankcase vent. Last pcs. needed for everything to come together Saturday.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i highly recommend avondalewholesaleparts.com instead of your local dealer if it is not time sensitive.
cheapest mopar source I've found so far and free shipping.
ships from AZ.

Members online

No members online now.