mx3_ryder's '02 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I was thinking long term goals w/ my libby.
It's currently eating oil, not burning it.

I have zero engine mech. knowledge.
what is the best and affordable solution?
rebuild or replacement?

Thanks!

If you can find a good used KJ, buy it...they aren't making them anymore...BUT FIRST:

Get yourself some Marvel Mystery Oil (I know it sounds like "As Seen On TV!") and follow the directions....run it for 4 or 5 tankfuls of gas and see what happens while you shop for KJs...stuff is amazing...have used it for 45+ years...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much is the engine consuming and what is your mileage again? My original engine with 200k consumed about 1 quart in the 1000 miles that I drove it before she blew but never smoked a bit on start up or while driving. I would say if its still performing well and not puking out any smoke, I would continue driving it as is. I would get as many miles as you can before swapping out. Should that time come though I would go for a newer low mileage salvage engine. When taking in account that things are worn and can be close to being out of spec you could start dumping alot of coin into a rebuild if need boring and crank grinding etc. etc. and other unexpected parts needing replacement.

about 146k now. consumption is about yours. need 2 quarts per 3k OIC to keep it at the full mark. Doesn't smoke at all.

Thanks for the feedback. Great stuff again. Where did you find your salvage engine?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find a good used KJ, buy it...they aren't making them anymore...BUT FIRST:

Get yourself some Marvel Mystery Oil (I know it sounds like "As Seen On TV!") and follow the directions....run it for 4 or 5 tankfuls of gas and see what happens while you shop for KJs...stuff is amazing...have used it for 45+ years...

Thanks. I will have that noted down on the list of things to try.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently have around 2500 miles on swap and running strong. Will be replacing rear boomerang soon as well as rebuilding my front drive shaft. Already picked up rebuild kit for both ends. Hopefully I will be selling my old daily tomorrow and can soon pull the trigger on my lift. Shooting for 3 inches of lift with an OME/Blistein combo along with a couple extras. Can't wait to get my Liberty up higher and handling better.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washed and waxed!! :drool:
You must be registered for see images attach

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice pics.

Dave

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Bilstien shocks on order. Got the longer 5100 offroad shocks for the rear. Going to be keeping my taller 02 springs and doing a clevis and top plate in front and adding iso's in rear. Hoping to be right in the area of 20.5" to 21.00" on all 4 corners and should have no problem clearing 245/70/16 grabbers. I will post results when done.

Current measurements
FR: 19.25"
FL: 19.25"
RR: 19.5"
RL: 19.5"

Springs have settled some after engine swap and 5000 miles but still good numbers for stock and has stayed the same for months now. My engine had been removed for sometime so my previous front measurement of 20" was not accurate.

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Bilstien shocks on order. Got the longer 5100 offroad shocks for the rear. Going to be keeping my taller 02 springs and doing a clevis and top plate in front and adding iso's in rear. Hoping to be right in the area of 20.5" to 21.00" on all 4 corners and should have no problem clearing 245/70/16 grabbers. I will post results when done.

Current measurements
FR: 19.25"
FL: 19.25"
RR: 19.5"
RL: 19.5"

Springs have settled some after engine swap and 5000 miles but still good numbers for stock and has stayed the same for months now. My engine had been removed for sometime so my previous front measurement of 20" was not accurate.

Pulled the trigger on some OME 927/948 springs today. Decided to finally scratch the idea of keeping my original springs. I was going back and forth solely cause of cost but know I made the right choice. I will see how it sits with no add ons and go from there. I don't want to upgrade control arms so will be staying in the 2 1/2 - 3 inches. Also want to run 245/75/16 tires for minimal fuel loss and stock gearing. Can't wait... :happy175:

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some goodies arrived!!

I have a little setback on lift install though as I just noticed this morning I've got water leaking in somewhere and drenching the rear driver's side carpet. I want to get this solved asap. I may have to remove rear seat to dry carpet and was thinking of tearing some panels off as well to see if I can pin point where the leak as coming from. I'm thinking possibly the roof rails or rear sunroof drains, maybe. Anyone have any advise for finding leaks. Thought of using a garden hose to help locate leak as I guess i don't have a lot of options. :shrug:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Anyone have any advise for finding leaks. Thought of using a garden hose to help locate leak as I guess i don't have a lot of options. :shrug:
Garden hose works great. Just use a small stream (not spray) and keep to one small section at a time. If you spray down the whole works you probably still won't be sure where the entry point is.

Or, you could move down here. It has rained for eight days in a row with more on the way tomorrow... :emotions34:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well turns out my son had spilled a whole bottle of Gatorade on the floor. I immediately thought it was water cause it'd been raining for 2 days. Phew!!

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumpstops, JBA top plates and Bilstein 5100 rear bushing kit ordered. I have shocks to do on the wife's Envoy first so I can get her winters tires on and then its the Jeeps turn.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumpstops, JBA top plates and Bilstein 5100 rear bushing kit ordered. I have shocks to do on the wife's Envoy first so I can get her winters tires on and then its the Jeeps turn.

I know your KJ felt like new when you put the new engine in it - but wait till you take that first ride with the new springs & shocks. A COMPLETELY different vehicle - you'll want to keep it for life. :party52:

Bob

Latest posts

Members online