mx3_ryder's '02 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little history to start this worklog. Purchased my 02 Liberty Limited in December of 2013 @ auction for $1700.00. Jeep needed some tlc, but the body/undercarriage and interior are in great condition. Parts replaced after purchase were front pads and rotors and rear pads, radiator and thermostat and complete exhaust. What seemed to be a rather great deal soon started to take the opposite direction. A couple weeks later the old girl needed a heater core cause it stopped blowing heat. Meanwhile, still telling myself it was a great deal cause most of this is just maintenance I started to develop a misfire on #2 cylinder same week I replaced the heater core. Misfire was intermittent at first only on cold start up, but one afternoon the misfire would not correct it's self. Short story, no compression on #2 and dropped valve seat was the culprit...Uh!! Mind you I only put about 1000 miles or so on it. So, after purchase and roughly $1000.00 in parts and labor I had $2700.00 into a dead horse. Decided I wouldn't stop know... Had both heads rebuilt with better parts by Southeast Cylinder Head and had one head crack on me during torquing sequence which was determined it was a dowel locating problem. Another short story, found another right side core head for cheap and am currently having it reconditioned free of charge by John @ Southeast Cylinder. Was planning on pulling and rebuilding bottom end as well, but changed my mind and I am know going to sell my 2 rebuilt cylinder heads w/cams which will pay for half the cost of my new engine. The money I save rebuilding my current 02 block will pay for the other half. As soon as I sell my set of heads, I will be pulling the trigger on an 08 or newer engine and updating this log. Jeep is still in need of a suspension overhaul as well and have plans for an Ironman or OME setup. Stay tuned!!

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

In the shop looking pretty!! Got all the bell housing bolts and starter out this weekend. Engine is ready to come out...(beer)

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update... Cylinder heads are sold!! Now sourcing an engine and have my eyes on an 09 3.7 with 57,000 miles from LKQ.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished getting the block out this weekend. :happy175:
Time to start tearing it down to get the reluctor ring out for the swap.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New engine is on its way home from Cousineau Auto out of Wisconisn out of a 2012 Liberty with a very cool 10,000 miles. Time to pull the crank and retrieve my reluctor ring for the donor I guess and get some practice.

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a clean looking '02, should give you many miles of service once you drop the new engine in.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a clean looking '02, should give you many miles of service once you drop the new engine in.

Thanks and yes it is very clean for an 02 w/194,000 miles on the clock.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good.

Dave

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine is scheduled to arrive this afternoon and I'm a little excited I must say. Tore down the original block this past weekend and got the crank and reluctor ring out. Once the new engine is on the stand, it should go fairly easy swapping everything over.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Engine has arrived!! Looks great, more pics to come.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you get some pics and/or video of the installation. :D

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! I'll get you guys some full frontal this weekend. Didn't want to entirely unwrap as I still have to transport from my work to the shop. I don't have a camera guy and mostly work alone so I can only provide pics of the swap, but I'll try not to disappoint.

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Liberty and new engine finally meet this weekend. Pulled the flex plate, intake and exhaust mani's off. Forgot to grab the balancer puller, so I couldn't get any further. Took the egr gasket with me to work for a template to fab up a block off plate. Engine is so clean though, block still shiny black, no color under valve cover surely indicates 10,000 miles.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be married - no girlie calendars in your garage. :icon_lol:

Can't wait to see how this turns out. :favorites13:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys!!
Yes married, but I've got some girls in the garage.