mopar skid plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the front engine ****** and diff skid for my 03.

they are OEM mopar but i have no hardware. the dealership up here says they have no idea what a skid plate is lol and cant find any part numbers or how to install them.

anyone have the part numbers for the hardware or any other ways to install them?

i have heard of drilling out the holes and using a simple nut and bolt set up. do you drill every mounting hole? also since its raining im waiting to crawl under the jeep so does anyone know what size nut and bolt to use if im not going to get the nutserts or what ever they are called if i cant get the part number soon?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a quick search on ChryslerPartsDirect.Com. I didn't see anything about bolts, but I did see apparently there are two brackets for the skid plate, a left and a right. Not sure if you got those with your skid plate, but you might need them. Sorry I don't know what bolts you need offhand. If you go to that link and search for "skid plate bracket" you'll see what I was referring to.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're held on with nutzerts which require you to drill a 5/16" (if I remember correctly) hole in the frame or crossmember and then the bolt is threaded into the nutzerts.

I would think a reputable Jeep dealership parts dept would have a way to get the nutzert kit for you. It requires a special tool to install the nutzert in the frame and that comes with the kit. Not near a computer right now (on my phone currently) or I'd look it up myself.

If you can't get anywhere with the dealership try an outfit like Fastenal. They have unique fasteners like nutzerts by the boatload.

Bob

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another posting going from my other computer. I don't know if you need to drill for your 03. I did NOT have to drill a single thing to install all the factory skid plates on my 05.

Here are the install guides for the (3) skids that I bought (I also got that gas tank skid but am excluding it since you didn't mention it). Each has the parts list (though it might not be specific about the nutzert other than the quantity):

****** skid:
http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82210003.pdf

Front skid:
http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82210769.pdf

Transfer case:
http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82209455.pdf

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have holes already but if nutserts are garbage like everyone is saying then i dont want them.

the dealership up here is a joke. the mechanics arent ase certified and the parts people know nothing besides what they can punch up on the computers. i hate going to that place. you cant drive through their lot just to see what they have without a sales person chasing after you.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my ugly formatting, but hope this helps.

ITEM................ PART #.................. QTY.................. DESCRIPTION
1. ................................................ 1......................NUT, U Type, M10 x 1.50, (NOT SERVICED)
2. ..............52128544AA (Left) ........ 1......................Bracket, Skid Plate
2. .............52128545AA (Right) ........ 1......................Bracket, Skid Plate
3. ...............06101060 ................... 4......................SCREW AND WASHER, Hex Head, M10x1.5x30
4. ..............52128539AC ................. 1......................Skid Plate

Attachments

• skid plate.jpg
    skid plate.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 36

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have never seen that bracket...my 05 didn't need any drilling.

Another source for the nutzerts is ask for a set of them for a running board kit off a JK, that's what my dealer did for me since I messed up the nutzerts. :D

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have to drill any holes or add any brackets to my '04.

And the nutzerts are fine as long as they are installed and torqued correctly. I installed mine in a hurry and didn't take the proper care, so I had to replace them later.:eek:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note
You ordered 3 skids
What about your fuel tank?
It is the weak link on the Jeep
Remember all fuel tanks are made of UHDPE
or plastic and can easily be damaged

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can get a fuel tank skid no problem. i just have some painting to do on my jeep to that my work is going to take care of but the deal i found was on the ****** and diff skid that are discontinued. i already had the front skid so i figured i would pick them up while i could. once the painting is done i will post pics so everyone can see

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am clear
You had/have the "front skid"
which is mounted to the front cross member?
It is on and mounted?
You purchased a trans and diff skid ,which to cover
the diff you would need to mount it to the cross member
where the current "front skid" is mounted
Then the trans skid will not mount properly to an '03
if it is the Mopar junk so drilling and bolting will need
to happen
And after all that you will still need 2 skids
Fuel tank
Transfer case

My '03 came with 3 skids as part of a package
-Fuel tank ,covered the fuel tank