Mopar Cargo Cover Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been planning to build my own cargo cover but this seems to be one of those jobs that never gets done. I had to park downtown yesterday and didn't like the idea of my extra gear being exposed, so maybe it's time to just go ahead and buy one.

I see lots of them listed in "Slate Grey" and saw one of them in "Tan". I'd like it to match the interior of my Jeep, which is listed as "-J3 Khaki". (Assuming I'm reading the build sheet properly. I've attached a copy if anyone wants to have a look and verify that.)

Any idea what color I need?

Attachments

• Build Sheet-Mine.jpg
    Build Sheet-Mine.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got mine used from a different member.
ddin't even know there were different colors. I have the leather seats and my screen unit is black.

The trim at the back is all black and so is the fabric in the cargo area and the back of the rear seat. So I think you would want to match the trim and fabric of the cargo area.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The carpeted part is kind of a battleship grey. The plastic trim is khaki (I guess). I'm picturing slate grey as being dark, which I wouldn't like too much. I'm going OEM Mopar, so you'd think they'd have it color coordinated... :blah:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prof, I think the color you're looking for is often called Tan. In some years/cases it's called Khaki; the slate gray is in fact more of a charcoal so too dark for your needs.

I agree the Tan/Khaki color cover would work best with the side panels being that color.

Bob

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the khaki interior, and ordered the cargo cover listed as 'tan'. They match.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine is tan. Post a pic of your interior if you have a chance. My carpet is distinctly tan though...if your carpet is gray get the gray one (I think most Jeep Green KJs had a gray interior). Slate gray is a medium gray, not really dark. Jeep interior colors are weird.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just get some plywood and a dowel.
I was planning on that. By the time I buy the plywood, dowel, assorted hardware, and carpet to cover it I'd be 3/4 of the way to just buying the daggone "real" one. I also like the idea of having it be retractable.

Prof, I think the color you're looking for is often called Tan. In some years/cases it's called Khaki; the slate gray is in fact more of a charcoal so too dark for your needs.

I agree the Tan/Khaki color cover would work best with the side panels being that color.

Bob
We have the khaki interior, and ordered the cargo cover listed as 'tan'. They match.
Mine is tan. Post a pic of your interior if you have a chance. My carpet is distinctly tan though...if your carpet is gray get the gray one (I think most Jeep Green KJs had a gray interior). Slate gray is a medium gray, not really dark. Jeep interior colors are weird.
Yeah, the one I listed previously is referred to as "Taupe/Tan". I think that looks about right.

The build sheet I listed earlier says I have a khaki interior. It doesn't look like the khaki the CPO's and Officers wore when I was in the navy. Maybe Jeep was just trying to play along with the military vibe with that.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Your carpet should be khaki too.

No, I'm not going to ask if the carpet matches the drapes:happy175::mwah1:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Your carpet should be khaki too.

No, I'm not going to ask if the carpet matches the drapes:happy175::mwah1:
I think you just did, actually. :happy175:

The plastic sides and the carpet are nowhere near the same color. One is the tannish taupe and the other is definitely a light gray. (Or grey, I'm never sure...)

Anyway, I ordered the Tan one. I can always shave the carpet clear off so no one will ever know my little secret. :mwah1:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It'll just grow back darker, that's why KKs have darker carpet I think.:happy175:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I think on the 07s they were just using up whatever was laying around in order to make way for the KKs.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for delay... hard disk issues have been interfering with my picture posting

Attachments

• 20160525_124419_resized.jpg
    20160525_124419_resized.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 16

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Got it yesterday and put it in five minutes ago. It was used but in super-good shape. (And also about half the cost of a brand-new one.) The color is also a perfect match.

Thanks, everybody - the drinks are on me! :happy160:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the cargo shelf much more usable. This way i have my two large tool boxes and my sub and amp underneath and the stroller on top. Impedes my view a little but i have to sacrafice something. I gifted my mopar one to a user. When i had it matched perfect to the grey side moldings.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it yesterday and put it in five minutes ago. It was used but in super-good shape. (And also about half the cost of a brand-new one.) The color is also a perfect match.

Thanks, everybody - the drinks are on me! :happy160:

A gin martini please :waytogo:

When are you posting your upgrade in the How-To section :happy175:

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...When are you posting your upgrade in the How-To section...
It took me longer to get it out of the package than it did to put it in. That includes walking outside and unlocking the tailgate. :gr_grin:

Latest posts

Members online