Me and My '05 Limited, Riding On Air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, can it actually take 2 hours to remove a bushing on a LCA? They tell me that's why they will be late with my Jeep.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess if it's really stuck....you're talking once the LCA is out right? Damn that does not make me want to press bushings out myself.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They finished my Jeep about 3:30pm today and I picked it up a few minutes ago. They didn't pound the pinch weld down behind the front wheels. Total labor time was 12 hours. Their ball-park estimate was 8 hours, including the pinch weld. Very disappointing and way over my budget. Glad to have it done, but I won't be able to enjoy it until after the alignment on Saturday.

I couldn't get a photo of it because it's dark and rainy out now, but it looks a lot taller than I expected for a 3" lift. And oh man, it's pretty hard climbing in with my fat ass and a backpack with an oxygen tank in it. Gonna have to figure in a rock rail that has an extension I can use like a step.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great that you got it back though. You will get used to the lift quickly.

Dave

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The tricky part for me was getting back out. For a couple of days I was in danger of breaking an ankle by misjudging the location of the driveway. :Insane:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it back. You get used to it being up higher. I actually hate when I have to drive my wife's car bc it sits so damn low.:gr_grin:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though I can't drive it much until after the alignment Saturday, I'm hoping the rain will let up so I can figure out the easiest way to get in the Jeep with my oxygen backpack on. It prob'ly seems like a little thing, but 25% lung function isn't much to work with and struggling to get in the Jeep can make me pretty breathless and sap my energy.

I was thinking about one of those retractable steps, but that might get damaged if it got hit by a rock. Maybe a Skink Slider from Rock Lizard Fabrications:

You must be registered for see images

Or something similar made locally. That would prob'ly make getting in the Jeep much easier and protect the side from damage.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a cheapo set of side bars I bought on Amazon. I think they only cost me about $130. I know they would not last long with a direct hit on the trail, but they do make it easier to get in and out. My GF is 4'11" and would never make it without them.

I'd like to replace them someday but will probably wait for a great deal on a part-out somewhere down the line. I'm not wishing bad luck on anyone, but with my Jeep turning 10 years old this year I know there are others which could be nearing the end of the line.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the before measurements:

Front-Left = 18⅜" - Front-Right = 18½"
Rear-Left = 18⅛" -- Rear-Right = 18⅛"

These are the raw lifted measurements (before the alignment):

Front-Left = 22⅝" - Front-Right = 22⅝"
Rear-Left = 21½" -- Rear-Right = 21½"

Just looking at it, it looked taller than that, but it's prob'ly just because I have the stock size tires - and there isn't a single lifted KJ around where I live, even though there seems to be one on every corner.

Here it sits, cold and wet, until I can take it in for the alignment tomorrow.

You must be registered for see images

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It def looks taller than those measurements

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alignment is done. I was surprised that the front end dropped more than an inch from the raw lifted measurements. Here are all the measurements:

Before the Lift
Front-Left = 18⅜" - Front-Right = 18½"
Rear-Left = 18⅛" -- Rear-Right = 18⅛"

Raw Lift
Front-Left = 22⅝" - Front-Right = 22⅝"

Lift After Alignment
Front-Left = 21½" - Front-Right = 21½"

This is not exactly a 3" lift over stock, if stock height was about 19". I suspect stock height was even more than that 10 years ago. But I'm not disappointed, as long as I can fit 245/75R17 tires under there (and later, 245/75R16s on 16x8 rims).

Getting in the driver's seat with my oxygen tank on is a bit easier now - still more difficult than pre-lift, but worth the little bit of strain. I still think a rock slider with a 3 or 4" extension rail would be nice though.

I thought all the talk about drivability and response was exaggerated, but man, there is quite a difference. Very nice; feels much more responsive and corners really smoothly. And no more squeaks from the dried out bushings. Can't wait to get some good meat on my rims.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you mean 245/70/17s? Never really seen a 245/75/17.

I thought the biggest difference post lift was being able to drink coffee in it and not spill it. Finally rode the LR3!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd have to thaw mine out and get all the snow/slush/ice off to get a real accurate measurement, but I think I'm in the 21.5" range. 245/70/17s fit great. Didn't pound the pinchweld at all.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean 245/70/17s? Never really seen a 245/75/17.
Goodyear has both sizes. I'm hoping the 75s fit. I plan to get one for a test fit and then decide. I don't mind having to pound the pinch weld or maybe massage the well liner some (not a lot, but some). I have a powerful heat gun usually used in the flooring industry that will make the job easier.

I thought the biggest difference post lift was being able to drink coffee in it and not spill it. Finally rode the LR3!
I didn't try that yet, but I believe it. Before the alignment, it was pretty squirrely.

PS: What's a LR3?

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Land Rover LR3. This thingy.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online