MBRP Performance exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I for one would really like to know more about the Jet chips and if they actually have any affect on performance or if it is just a gimmick?

My understanding is they do increase performace-- they're not a gimmick. What I don't know is what (if anything) breaks after you install them. Do they make the coils run hotter, do O2 sensors fail, does gas mileage improve or get worse?

The stage 1 (if I'm correct) allows you to continue to use regular gas. The Stage 2 demands you start using premium. So you should calculate the cost in gas expenditure and decide if you really need it.

I thought it would be sexy to get one of those but in the end, I decided my Jeep's not a race car, and it actually has very good acceleration and power as it is.

Edit: Let's put it this way: I've never been in a situation where I slapped my palm to my forehead and said "Oh, if only I had more power!"

My friend with his 87 Toyota pickup with a four-****** and 31" wheels, on the other hand, cries out in pain everytime he goes up a steep hill or enters a headwind. He's convinced he's got a carbeurator problem, though. So we'll see.

Last edited:

mountainsurfer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Chip. I've been wondering how it performed. I've installed the K&N intake system and Gibson exhaust and have been tickled how well it performs. Fuel mileage increased up to 22 on my last two long trips. Sound is cool but not overbearing. I guess the chip is next.

dirt pig

Reaction score
I installed the K&N CAI and found better response and -2 L/100km.
I then added a Magnaflow cat back full stainless system and got a huge kick in the pants power wise, but found that there was no gain in mileage. I think that I was using the go pedal a bit more often (Fun!!! :party33: ).

I added the stage 2 Jet chip and got another marginal increase in power, but a huge increase in l/100km. How's 14.1L/100km sound? Thats the best figure I've achieved, even before the mods.

Last edited:

semper_rideo

Reaction score
I added the stage 2 Jet chip and got another marginal increase in power, but a huge increase in l/100km. How's 14.1L/100km sound? Thats the best figure I've achieved, even before the mods.

I'm no math expert, but wouldn't you want your L/100km to go down? It reads liters per one hundred kilometers. Or Volume of gasoline per Distance driven. Like Gallons per hundred miles. I would rather use 5 gallons per hundred miles (400miles per tank of gas) than ten gallons per hundred miles(200 miles per tank of gas:pp:). 14.1 L/100km is about .06 mpg or about a football field per gallon.
So do you mean km/L? 14.1 km/L would be roughly 33 miles per gallon though. Are you driving a honda? Maybe something to look into.
Even 14.1 L/km comes out to be 5.8 mpg. Things just don't add up.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Chip. I've been wondering how it performed. I've installed the K&N intake system and Gibson exhaust and have been tickled how well it performs. Fuel mileage increased up to 22 on my last two long trips. Sound is cool but not overbearing. I guess the chip is next.

I get that kind of mileage without spending the big bucks for a Gibson nor do I run a worthless K&N

Amsoil air filter in the stock box with tube to grill
then just a Magna Flow muffler and stock pipe's

Just sayin

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MBRP still made for Liberty

After killing the last Magna on the trail this fishing season called up the shop in Barrie and had an MBRP shipped to my place. Stock pipes had been reused to death and needed replacing after knocking everything off.

10 minute install, really quality stainless catback and mandrel rear - but muffler obviously louder and throatier with some highway drone.

Wanted to buy Canadian this time - Canucks hit me up in our regional forum - the shop in Barrie downstairs from MBRP will ship direct for cheap.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that kind of mileage without spending the big bucks for a Gibson nor do I run a worthless K&N

Amsoil air filter in the stock box with tube to grill
then just a Magna Flow muffler and stock pipe's

Just sayin

I did the same, except I installed the largest dynomax superturbo muffler I could find. The only real difference between the exhaust systems are the muffler, anyways. But you know... the OEM muffler is pretty darn good. I only get just a hint of extra cabin noise when it's still cold out. When warm, that muffler sounds OEM - perfect for me (and everyone else around me).

Latest posts

Members online