BA Cut Down Down CV Axles Popping Noise Under Load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjrwpgmbca

Reaction score
JBA Cut Down Down CV Axles Popping Noise Under Load

I had these axles installed to replace the OEMs and was perplexed at the popping noise under load. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Rig: 2005, Selectrac, Silver

Current Mods:
RRO upper A-arm control arms c/w bumpstop
OME 926 medium front springs
Under-the-Top® strut cap (3" lift)
OME 192 front strut shocks
2 1/2" full height rear springs
OME 132L rear shocks
JBA-LEX4 Link Extension

K&N 57-1540 CAI
Fastman TB
Jet Performance Chip Stage 2
JBA Titanium Ceramic Coated Headers
Gibson SS Exhaust
Optima Battery
E3 Sparkplugs
Scangauge II

Mopar Skidplates
Mopar 2" Hitch

Poweslot Slotted Disc Brakes
Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads

Katzkin Leather Seats
Wheelskins Leather Steering Wheel
Jeep Rubber Floor Mats

TSW Cadwell 17" x 8" Gun Metal 20mm OS 5/114.3
Firestone Destination M/T/E LT245/75R17 119/116Q

AEV Bridger 16x8 Chrome +6mm 5x4.5
Yokohama Geolander AT-S P265/70R16 111S

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How long/ miles have you had them in?
Never heard of BA cut down axles?
Are you sure they were done right?
Also with the RRO set up you have could be blown shocks up front causing part of the problem

mjrwpgmbca

Reaction score
Correction: BA to JBA

Everything is brand new installed by a Chrysler / Jeep Mechanic. The whole suspension setup works like my Toyota Tundra ... very compliant and suited for our Winnipeg ravaged roadways. Everything was installed within the last six months.

The JBA Axles started making the noise the day after it was installed. The noise is pronounced when FT 4x4 is engaged and under moderate to hard acceleration. It does not make any noise when doing tight turns. It was determined that the weight shift is causing the axles to "over extend" and perhaps causing the inner joint to make the noise.

To prevent any damage, we took the axles out and replaced it with the OEM for now until I can get a feedback if this condition is expected with cut down axles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK on the JBA
Did they replace the intermediate shaft as well when they installed them? That could possibly be a problem if the intermediate shaft was worn and not replaced.
Or could be a problem with the cut shafts? Have you contact Marlin ( JBA) about the problem? He is great to deal with.
Did you have noise with the old shafts and the lift or noise now with the CVs after they were put back in?
what do you measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correction: BA to JBA

Everything is brand new installed by a Chrysler / Jeep Mechanic. The whole suspension setup works like my Toyota Tundra ... very compliant and suited for our Winnipeg ravaged roadways. Everything was installed within the last six months.

The JBA Axles started making the noise the day after it was installed. The noise is pronounced when FT 4x4 is engaged and under moderate to hard acceleration. It does not make any noise when doing tight turns. It was determined that the weight shift is causing the axles to "over extend" and perhaps causing the inner joint to make the noise.

To prevent any damage, we took the axles out and replaced it with the OEM for now until I can get a feedback if this condition is expected with cut down axles.
Seen this issue before with over extending CV's,you need to limit the down travel which 100% defeats the whole reason for the cut CV's.

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from reading your post i think we are having the same issues..only difference is I have not had any work done on my 4x4.

mjrwpgmbca

Reaction score
OK on the JBA
Did they replace the intermediate shaft as well when they installed them? That could possibly be a problem if the intermediate shaft was worn and not replaced.
Or could be a problem with the cut shafts? Have you contact Marlin ( JBA) about the problem? He is great to deal with.
Did you have noise with the old shafts and the lift or noise now with the CVs after they were put back in?
what do you measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare?

Intermediate shaft is not worn. However, we plan to replace all OEM axle and shaft components in the summer using "aftermarket parts" from either JBA, RRO, and/or Mopar. It is worthwhile to start shopping in the US again since our $CAD is at par :)

There is a slight driver side axle noise under hard acceleration with the OEM. It's not a popping noise like the JBA, but rather, some slight grinding. Again, no noise when making any turn. I'm sure it has to do with the weight shift. Plan now is to take it easy under acceleration and install some ARB Bumper to increase the weight upfront.

Fender flare to center of wheel measurement (static): TBA

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would contact Marlin at JBA first to see what he says
then number 2 I am with Troy in the fact that it maybe too much down travel
3 are you sure its not the RRO UCA's , there has been problems there and good luck dealing with them on anything
waiting to see how much actual lift you have

mjrwpgmbca

Reaction score
I got a pair of dud JBA Cut Down Axles :( Wheel CL to Under Fender = 21.5" so it angles are now that extreme. Where is the best place to get CV Axles?

Attachments

• MJR_2005_Jeep Liberty_100_1109a.jpg
    MJR_2005_Jeep Liberty_100_1109a.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 20

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I would contact Marlin at JBA first to see what he says
then number 2 I am with Troy in the fact that it maybe too much down travel
3 are you sure its not the RRO UCA's , there has been problems there and good luck dealing with them on anything
waiting to see how much actual lift you have
X2.

I got a pair of dud JBA Cut Down Axles :( Wheel CL to Under Fender = 21.5" so it angles are now that extreme. Where is the best place to get CV Axles?

If they are "bad" contact JBA-he is good to deal with and Jesus doesn't like shitheads.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your only at 21.5" your nowhere close to being maxed,you still got another 2" at least to go up before your getting in the extreme range.

If you want the best and never have to worry about the CV again,also includes a lifetime "you break it they replace it no matter what" warranty,and not look at the price tag give RCV a call and they can make all your CV troubles go bye-bye.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/stor...d=121&osCsid=2ea68396982ccac4f3c86bc6eb8c6f5e

mjrwpgmbca

Reaction score
If your only at 21.5" your nowhere close to being maxed,you still got another 2" at least to go up before your getting in the extreme range.

If you want the best and never have to worry about the CV again,also includes a lifetime "you break it they replace it no matter what" warranty,and not look at the price tag give RCV a call and they can make all your CV troubles go bye-bye.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/stor...d=121&osCsid=2ea68396982ccac4f3c86bc6eb8c6f5e

THANKS! RCV looks like the way to go.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
if your only at 21.5" your nowhere close to being maxed,you still got another 2" at least to go up before your getting in the extreme range.

If you want the best and never have to worry about the cv again,also includes a lifetime "you break it they replace it no matter what" warranty,and not look at the price tag give rcv a call and they can make all your cv troubles go bye-bye.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/stor...d=121&oscsid=2ea68396982ccac4f3c86bc6eb8c6f5e

x2000

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
THANKS! RCV looks like the way to go.

RCV... Sweet stuff!

I just priced it out in U.S. funds.

About $1500.00-$1800.00 per axle with spherical CV joints X2 for the front
diff alone!
Plus an additional $1500.00 for a JBA steel front diff case, $1000.00-$1100.00
for a front air locker, front bearing kit $200.00 ish= $5800.00- $6400.00
for a bomb proof IFS front diff!

Wow, may as well go SFA!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RCV... Sweet stuff!

I just priced it out in U.S. funds.

About $1500.00-$1800.00 per axle with spherical CV joints X2 for the front
diff alone!
Plus an additional $1500.00 for a JBA steel front diff case, $1000.00-$1100.00
for a front air locker, front bearing kit $200.00 ish= $5800.00- $6400.00
for a bomb proof IFS front diff!

Wow, may as well go SFA!
Yeah then a set of RCV's is only $1200 for both sides(for a D44 at least).

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I still don't get why so many people are having problems with their CV joints?
Our KJ has close to 250,000.0 kms/155K+ miles on the factory installed inner and outer CV joints (factory original inner CV's I machined down myself on the metal lathe 25.5 months ago!)
And we beat ******* our KJ off road regularly!

No noises, no grinding, no grumbles, no nothin'!

Latest posts

Members online