K&N Drop in Washable Filter and Jet Performance Chip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am meeting with a guy in a couple days to look at buying a used K&N filter and a Jet Performance stage 1 chip. But, before I buy, I want to know, are these parts worth the money? They're a year old and he want's 80 for the pair. I don't really know much about these parts as far as if they're actually worth the money, used or new. Do these two parts work as advertised, or work at all? Are there any cons to them?

I need any relevant and accurate info ASAP, thanks!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am meeting with a guy in a couple days to look at buying a used K&N filter and a Jet Performance stage 1 chip. But, before I buy, I want to know, are these parts worth the money? They're a year old and he want's 80 for the pair. I don't really know much about these parts as far as if they're actually worth the money, used or new. Do these two parts work as advertised, or work at all? Are there any cons to them?

I need any relevant and accurate info ASAP, thanks!

On here you'll find the stage 1 chips dont do a darn thing on these. Also mixed feelings on the K&N filters. For me and most on here it is just a waste of money. You'll not likely see any benefit from any or both of those.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K&N by the numbers flows better. But really not by much. The numbers show a difference but really nothing that will be noticed. I highly suggest you read this article on Flow and Filtration. If nothing else you will understand it a bit more. Maybe you will change your mind. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

The cone filters allow more air in general into the engine but its HOT air. Which probably negates any benefits from the increased flow..

As mentioned before. I have a Rusty's aftermarket adaptor and the K&N (long not short) filter. If someone wants it, and will just pay me the shipping cost to send it. I dont plan to use it again. I made me a cold air induction for my factory box.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant really comment on the stage 1 chip, you may or may not see any improvement. To me, a jeep is all about utter reliability, and being capable to go places alot of other vehicles cant go. Think old MB series. So chipping it isnt the direction I would go, as it likely wont improve offroad capability, and reliability. As for the K&N, in my years as a professional, the washable filters are a washout to me. I know their claims, and what they say doesnt happen, but I can tell you my 16 years of experience. All of the vehicles with washable filters had a nice coating of dust inside the duct work from the filter to throttle body. Like, as in, I can wipe my finger, and it leaves a streak like the top shelf in an old library. Vehicles with paper filters, as long as they are replaced as needed(not totally filthy either, just showing dirt), dont show that. K&N claims increased airflow, which I can bet is true, at the cost of more dirt entering the engine, from the evidence I have seen. This dirt fouls up the IAC and throttlebody sooner, scores cylinder walls, and enhances gunk build up in the intake and engine. Not good for reliability. To add to that, on engines with mass air sensors, the majority of the sensor failures I have seen have been vehicles running washable filters. Next would be vehicles running dirty paper filters too long. That dirt, and with washable filters, oil and dirt, sticks to the element in the sensor, insulating it, and causing it to read inaccurately. K&N claims this is BS, that the sensors are designed to withstand contaminates, which is partially true, but not made to be coated with dirt. I'll let you connect the dots on that. Jeeps lack a maf, but they still dont neet dirt in them. Save your dough, buy a new paper filter, and save the rest of the dough for better upgrades, skids, lift, etc.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
what he said ^
Save your dough, buy a new paper filter, and save the rest of the dough for better upgrades, skids, lift, etc.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i can tell a difference useing the k&n open filter, however i do have a 4" hose coming through the air dam beside the radiator and pointed directly at the filter. i can tell a huge difference from 60 mph and above. it takes very little pedal to maintain speed and to pass.

the chip...i dont know. read it doesnt do much if any. i think tjkj has one. cant remember what he said.