Maybe its a dumb question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Survivorman

Reaction score
Okay,

Well I used the search tool to try and find the thread that already answers this but I could not locate one... (maybe its because its 2am) But, I have found some sweet deals on stock wrangler rims the 5x5 from models 07+ on craigslist. I know we have 5x4.5 on the libs. But for some reason I never thought of an adapter ? Is it a bad idea ? I do not like the chrome rims I currently have on the liberty, but for about $200 I can get a set of 5 stainless in 17in of the 5x5. Are there any risks associated with using an adapter ? reasons why this is not worth doing ? I do not do any serious off roading just driving through the dunes occasionally and the snow storm here and there; my libby is a day to day mostly.

So any suggestions for me ? Is this a bad idea ? Suggestions on which adapters to buy ? brands/links ?

Thanks Everyone !!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some people run them with no issues, others do, saw a picture of a TJ yesterday that lost a right rear wheel due to a spacer malfunction.
For me I'd never run them, see no use when there are plenty of available wheels already.
For that or not much more you can buy a set of Rubicons that actually fit

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a set of adapter spacers, the good custom fit hub centric kind, not the cheapo universal type. For a street car and a mild off-roader, I can't see snapping 1.5" of good grade billet aluminum. Maybe that ^ malfunction was from using a cheap China adapter (yeah their "billet" aluminum can be sub standard), and/or from having no loctite on the nuts. But yeah, add up the cost of the adapters and the wheels you found, and see if it's still a good deal.

Last edited:

Survivorman

Reaction score

Are you referring to the models 07' and older ? They have the 5x4.5 right ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Are you referring to the models 07' and older ? They have the 5x4.5 right ?

Yes saw a good set ( no marks) the other day go for 325 or 350

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the TJ mentioned earlier. You run the risk of the studs busting off. Doesn't meant it will happen but there is the risk.

You must be registered for see images

CRAB STEAMER

Reaction score
You might have better luck swapping yours in an even trade. Good adapters cost money. Best to put it in rims. Is there a good auto auction in your area?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put adapters on a 2004 renegade and they are safe, but you must torque all the lug nuts that go from the adapter to the hub and the lugs that are connecting your tire to the adapter and you will be safe and make sure to but the hub centric ones because they center the wheel to where it should be.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only safe to a point, many many accounts of folks properly installing them and then something happens and the wheel/adapter comes off
Doesn't matter who makes them
Good luck with yours

Latest posts

Members online