Do NOT trust JEEP (but maybe trust your dealer - maybe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kiwi_outdoors

Reaction score
After being turned away for a service request (diagnosis, actually) by local Jeep Chrysler dealer who said "we don't work on vehicles over 10 years old" I today called Jeep's corporate customer service. The policy of what age at which a vehicle can be declined for service is left up to the dealer.

So if you buy a new Jeep from the salesman, first check on your dealer's maintenance policy before you hand over your wallet.

Jeep also said that they do not warranty new-in-box (OEM) parts over 10 years old.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, that’s awful. I’ve had no problem with the dealer here.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is quite disturbing to hear.
I do most of my own maintenance, & do not use stealerships anyways except for parts, if available.
Just driving to a dealer makes me cringe, they just want to sell new vehicles.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
That’s just stupid… too much business at the dealer these days? How are they going to carry all those loans, for the vehicles people are not buying? :rolleyes:

john e denson

Reaction score
I had the same problem down here in Florida. Well, not quite the same. My mom bought a new spirit and always had it serviced up there. She passed and I inherited the car. I took it up to the same dealer and they told me it was too old to check out or work on. I got my Libby there too. I am going to a different dealer next time.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Thats why i love taking the old Libby’s to the dealership for recalls, it’s a service they can’t turn away! Call me when it’s done lol.

Sevenmilesout

Reaction score
I had the same problem down here in Florida. Well, not quite the same. My mom bought a new spirit and always had it serviced up there. She passed and I inherited the car. I took it up to the same dealer and they told me it was too old to check out or work on. I got my Libby there too. I am going to a different dealer next time.
I don't know where you are in Florida, but this guy....Ray, is good.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Most of the big chain auto parts stores have free code reading. I find Advanced Auto is best for Libertys.

Then you download your PDF factory service manual from here: https://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Now you have all the info you need to DIY or you can give the manual to your shop of choice.

In my opinion dealership service departments are only good for factory recalls...and even then they are not to be trusted.

gpell

Reaction score
Most of the big chain auto parts stores have free code reading. I find Advanced Auto is best for Libertys.

Then you download your PDF factory service manual from here: https://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Now you have all the info you need to DIY or you can give the manual to your shop of choice.

In my opinion dealership service departments are only good for factory recalls...and even then they are not to be trusted.
Thanks for the manual, looks like everything is covered.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have one for the 2008-2012 Liberty?

Aeroscott

Reaction score
I worked for a Jeep dealership for 15 years, they never turned away anything, including stuff they shouldnt have taken in the first place like 20 yr old Range Rovers, and BMW's, it was a flat rate shop and now I work on a fleet, the dealership techs burn out fast, if you can't stay at a certain pace,like 120% they quickly find a way to get rid of you, I worked at 3 dealerships, Nissan, Chevy/GM, and Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge, I now maintain a fleet of 500+ vehicles, I am much happier than when I was a dealership tech.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We turn nothing away too. If something is a rusty pile and falling apart that's one thing, but I generally love working on out of warranty stuff. More money in those vehicle and the people are generally better to deal with. In fairness we have no rust in this area, so seeing something 10 years old is very common with every make and model.

Members online

No members online now.