Max tire size with Ironman 4x4 1.5" lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigfootyetti

Reaction score
After much internal struggle, I finally pulled the trigger on the Ironman 4x4 1.5" lift (with HD springs) along with a full front and rear refresh package, well deserved after a rough and rowdy 187k miles. It's also due time for new tires, so here's where my question comes in.

What is the largest tire size I can run on the 1.5" lift without needing to re-gear?

It seems like a crowd favorite is the 245/75r16's (which have been tough to find used) and the 265/70r16's which are plentiful, however I've only seen this on threads with the OME kit which ends up being closer to a 2.5" lift so I'm not sure if that's comparable to the Ironman.

I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death, but I haven't been able to find much on here about the Ironman lift and I would really appreciate any guidance!

Thank you!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With only 1.5 inches of lift you could possibly go with 255-70-16s after pounding over the pinch weld
or 245-70-16 would be no issue

Bigfootyetti

Reaction score
Great, thank you for the quick reply I'll keep an eye out for those sizes! So safe to say the Ironman is a true 1.5" lift then?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It all depends, I tested the first set to be used in the USA, but I also used a top plate, and forget maybe 3/8 inch clevis lift
Then had the ones for a CRD ,
But since they come from Australia , along with OME springs and shocks which are also advertised as 1.5 due to insurance reasons.
But the OME 927 front springs give 2.5 inches as we all know

Bigfootyetti

Reaction score
It all depends, I tested the first set to be used in the USA, but I also used a top plate, and forget maybe 3/8 inch clevis lift
Then had the ones for a CRD ,
But since they come from Australia , along with OME springs and shocks which are also advertised as 1.5 due to insurance reasons.
But the OME 927 front springs give 2.5 inches as we all know.
Got it, I will report back after it's installed. Currently sitting at 18" hub to fender front and 18.5" rear.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got it, I will report back after it's installed. Currently sitting at 18" hub to fender front and 18.5" rear.
Confused me for a while since you posted in the KK section but have a KJ
But you are an inch lower than new stock height at this point

Bigfootyetti

Reaction score
Just got it back from an alignment, sitting at 21.5" front and about 22" rear. Pounded the pinch weld while I was under it, and steering doesn't shake anymore, so that's exciting! Now I just need to figure out where to take the Pile O' Parts.

Attachments

• PXL_20211120_175741130.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211120_175741130.MP.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20211120_175855915.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211120_175855915.MP.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 56

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Save the CVs for trade ins if you can do that where you are , but NAPA takes them on trade
Don't see the rear sway bar in the pile there??
Hopefully you have an old drunk coming around that wants the rest for beer money . Gave away a lot of 8.25s, springs etc to them, they even came back and shared a beer with me LOL

Bigfootyetti

Reaction score
Save the CVs for trade ins if you can do that where you are , but NAPA takes them on trade
Don't see the rear sway bar in the pile there??
Hopefully you have an old drunk coming around that wants the rest for beer money . Gave away a lot of 8.25s, springs etc to them, they even came back and shared a beer with me LOL
I'll check out NAPA and see if they'll take anything. Does the sway bar need to be removed or replaced with a lift? Lots of clunks driving around today, is that normal settling noises after a suspension refresh like this? Also does 245/70r16 sound like it would work with the additional clearance?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You trade the old ones in for new rebuilts when you need new ones
only ones I run since many of the other Zones etc are too short
Yes you'll have some some noises as everything settles in
Did you get it aligned already ?
The rear sway bar can stay on but it doesn't do anything anyways , reason why I have a pile of 16-20 of them LOL

Bigfootyetti

Reaction score
You trade the old ones in for new rebuilts when you need new ones
only ones I run since many of the other Zones etc are too short
Yes you'll have some some noises as everything settles in
Did you get it aligned already ?
The rear sway bar can stay on but it doesn't do anything anyways , reason why I have a pile of 16-20 of them LOL
Good to hear noises are normal from someone who knows what they're doing! Yes on the alignment, straight from the jack stand to the shop and picked it up this morning. The sway bar might be coming off when I install new tires then, I'll add it to the pile! Might be picking up a set tomorrow.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You have 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height, you could go even a bit bigger , but then would loose some mileage and power

hellomattwhite

Reaction score
Yetti looking good, nice work. I'm impatiently awaiting arrival of the same set-up. Did you throw anything extra in there? Top plates or clevis or extra isolators in the rear?

Bigfootyetti

Reaction score
Yetti looking good, nice work. I'm impatiently awaiting arrival of the same set-up. Did you throw anything extra in there? Top plates or clevis or extra isolators in the rear?
Hey thanks Matt,
I did not add anything besides the lift and 245/75r16's with a pounded pinch weld. Rides like it's on rails! I have noticed a small power loss with the larger tires, but nothing serious. Here's a photo with the new tires on.

Attachments

• PXL_20211122_192327463.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211122_192327463.MP.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.