Making the rear axle pinion "point lower"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arielflash

Reaction score
Hi,
Seems like my rear diff and rear driveshaft are aligned in a straight line (while having steeper angle at the front where it connects to transfer case)

Having vibrations at highway speeds, I understood I have to make the rear pinion same (opposite) angle as the transfer case...

Anyhow, how am I supposed to do that while using the y link extension by jba ?
Where and how I should use the washers in order to make the pinion point lower ?
Installation instructions at JBAs website doesn't seem to work :\
https://jeepinbyal.com/y-link-extension-fits-2-5-4-lifts.html

thanks...

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Seems like my rear diff and rear driveshaft are aligned in a straight line (while having steeper angle at the front where it connects to transfer case)

Having vibrations at highway speeds, I understood I have to make the rear pinion same (opposite) angle as the transfer case...

Anyhow, how am I supposed to do that while using the y link extension by jba ?
Where and how I should use the washers in order to make the pinion point lower ?
Installation instructions at JBAs website doesn't seem to work :\
https://jeepinbyal.com/y-link-extension-fits-2-5-4-lifts.html

thanks...

Mine just arrived yesterday.. the instructions give an OK idea of what to do, but could be better. You're not missing anything..lol.

Read this thread, specifically Tom's posts on page 2.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/jba-y-link-extension-59406/index2.html

There's a good picture in this thread on LOSTjeeps as well- but don't assume the number of washers someone else uses is what you need.. even if they have the same lift as you.

Disconnect the upper control arm bracket, bolt on the y-link extender, set your diff pinion to where it needs to be... install the number of washers it takes to make up the space between the two brackets, then tighten it down with a dab of loctite.

LOST JEEPS • View topic - Anyone install Al's Y link extension?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Takes a little bit of time to get it right at times ( especially when a customer shows up early and wants to share his thoughts on it LOL)
But I get the rear diff setting where I want it with all 4 wheels on the ground, then see how many washers fit in between the two brackets to give you the angles you want and need

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the tri-link extension also. Zero washers is as low as you can make the pinion. Adding washers raises pinion.

My pinion angles aren't ideal, but ujoints are surviving ok, so not too concerned.

arielflash

Reaction score
Thanks all !

I have removed all washers before but still - pinion is pointing upwards :\
Thats when I thought to myself I must have missed something so asked here...

Only difference is I didn't try to roll the car a bit forward in order to drop pinion before I bolt everything... do you think that pinion angle will be better using that method or is it the same (sounds to me it will be the same as now but might worth a shot)?

I am 3" ~ lifted at the rear and I am starting to think this lift is "not enough" in order to use the y link extension
maybe triangle is "too straight" so it goes too much backwards - not allowing the axle to drop :\
thing is when I didn't have the extension installed - the triangle touched the body and balljoint angle was too much :\

thought about buying jba 4 link but it will cost me a fortune to ship it over here (1000$)
Another alternative i am considering is to use Arkadys 4link solution
https://www.facebook.com/arm34.ru/photos/a.2046117988968621/2056674231246330/?type=3&theater

not adjustable as the jba one - but I believe you can get better angle with it than using extension due to its different design (+ better durability)...
any of you guys has experience with these ?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all !

I have removed all washers before but still - pinion is pointing upwards :\
Thats when I thought to myself I must have missed something so asked here...

Only difference is I didn't try to roll the car a bit forward in order to drop pinion before I bolt everything... do you think that pinion angle will be better using that method or is it the same (sounds to me it will be the same as now but might worth a shot)?

I am 3" ~ lifted at the rear and I am starting to think this lift is "not enough" in order to use the y link extension
maybe triangle is "too straight" so it goes too much backwards - not allowing the axle to drop :\
thing is when I didn't have the extension installed - the triangle touched the body and balljoint angle was too much :\

thought about buying jba 4 link but it will cost me a fortune to ship it over here (1000$)
Another alternative i am considering is to use Arkadys 4link solution
https://www.facebook.com/arm34.ru/photos/a.2046117988968621/2056674231246330/?type=3&theater

not adjustable as the jba one - but I believe you can get better angle with it than using extension due to its different design (+ better durability)...
any of you guys has experience with these ?

That Arkadys option looks viable.. I checked out their facebook page.. OK, so it's basically a Russian copy of what JBA is doing. Probably because of the shipping and availability reasons you mentioned.

Another option is to use the heavy duty UCA replacement for a WJ with an adaptor bracket made for your diff. A guy on LOSTjeeps makes and sells an adaptor, but you could fab your own as well.

IronRock Offroad WJ control arm:

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/wj-adjustable-a-arm-short.html

Here's just one post of many where someone used that arm with homemade bracket on the diff, some good photos that can be used as a how-to in this one:

LOST JEEPS • View topic - Ironrock Rear Upper Control Arm Install on Liberty KJ

It's a little cheaper than the JBA offering.. but not by a ton.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never seen one ( KJ Liberty ) that could not get the pinion angle right using the JBA bracket .
That is with lifts from 2.5 to 4 inches.
Placement of washers are important of course
Hard to see what you are doing or how it should be done without being right there

arielflash

Reaction score
as I understood - less washers means pinion points lower.. right ?

could you please send a photo that shows where you are supposed to add / remove the washers in order make the pinion go up/down ?

Latest posts

Members online