Looking for a little lift with the least amount of troubles .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edd Harbin

Reaction score
I am looking for a less than 3 inch lift for my 05 Liberty 4x4 . I want just a basic lift for some stream crossings and climbing some rocky trails . I would like toget one that requires the least amount of modification and the least amount of on roads loss of handling . Leveling would also be nice ... What is out there and what is required and possible cost ?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You could go one of 2 ways:

1. Spacer lift- Most economical. Inserts spacers into coils, not the best if your coils are worn.

2. Spring lift- replace coils with longer ones. Best way to go, but more expensive....

Both of these you would do new shocks/struts.....:)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME front 927 coils,OME rear 948 coils,Rancho 17505 front struts,Rancho 17004 rear shocks,TerraFlex extended front bumpstops,some homemade rear bumpstops(hockey pucks work),and to make it easier to get back into alignment the JBA UCA's for the front.Don't forget to make a rear brake line extension,takes 2mins to make and cost about $1 to do,the front brake lines are long enough.

That is the best without killing the wallet to bad.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Better to do it right. It would be perfect if you already needed to redo shock and coils....

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am planning a lift this summer.. Could someone give me a link to a decent lift..Not sure if I really want Ranchos, I have them on my Ford and they seem a little too stiff for me.My libby is 02 and I want a little height for basically the same thing as OP, We don't really go off road HARD, just some ORV only trails which are rocky. I have kiddos and I want the ride to be less than harsh for them. I don't want to spend more than 500.00 if thats possible! For the parts, I can handle the installation myself.

Thanks for any help

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I too am planning a lift this summer.. Could someone give me a link to a decent lift..Not sure if I really want Ranchos, I have them on my Ford and they seem a little too stiff for me.My libby is 02 and I want a little height for basically the same thing as OP, We don't really go off road HARD, just some ORV only trails which are rocky. I have kiddos and I want the ride to be less than harsh for them. I don't want to spend more than 500.00 if thats possible! For the parts, I can handle the installation myself.

Thanks for any help

If the budget is $500, spacers are about it...unless you can get something used....

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run OME med coils with Rancho struts and OME shocks
the ride is far from harsh
It is my wifes DD and we have a 2 year old ,she has been ridding in it from the day she came home
best of all it has always been running MTR's for the entire time we have been driving with the baby and so far she is fine
I have noticed that she has a thing for Jeeps already

also shopping around could get you set up with the lift for right around $500 or so

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
83000 miles ( so its driven daily ) on my OME Heavy Duty lift with Ranchos, you have to remember that the KJ is very heavy so the ride is great with the Ranchos

If you have over 30,000 miles on any year KJ you're kidding yourself if you think a spacer is the right way to go. It will work for a short time, but the suspension is pretty much shot by then and needs replaced anyways.
Don't cheap out on suspension, that's just stupid since you will not have a good ride, will not handle well and you will hate driving it!

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this lift? I realize it needs a set of shocks to go with the front, but it seems like a good price to me. I am also looking to lifting mine a bit and new tires to go under.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=60&partID=7001#

Plus , there is an offer for another 15% off which brings the price of that 2" lift to $382.00

Any info on this kit?

I've never heard of it, so I can't comment on quality, but that aside looks like a good kit...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Any thoughts on this lift? I realize it needs a set of shocks to go with the front, but it seems like a good price to me. I am also looking to lifting mine a bit and new tires to go under.

Plus , there is an offer for another 15% off which brings the price of that 2" lift to $382.00

Any info on this kit?

Wow, that's cheaper than my Al's A arms!
You will still need front struts. But at that price, go for it!
You can be the Guinea pig and let everybody else know what that lift kit is like!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Any info on this kit?

while I dont know this kit and have no need to call and ask the things that would be needed to know to pass any judgement would be
spring rate?
proper shocks? both length and mounting
why the "strut relocation thingy"?
what is all that other garbage in the picture?

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME front 927 coils,OME rear 948 coils,Rancho 17505 front struts,Rancho 17004 rear shocks,TerraFlex extended front bumpstops,some homemade rear bumpstops(hockey pucks work),and to make it easier to get back into alignment the JBA UCA's for the front.Don't forget to make a rear brake line extension,takes 2mins to make and cost about $1 to do,the front brake lines are long enough.

That is the best without killing the wallet to bad.

I am thinking of going this way since I am almost at 40,000 miles and I have noticed the shocks are getting worn. You recommend the heavy duty springs, would you still recommend them even when most of the time the vehicle is not carrying extra weight?
The OME spring specs. in the other Sticky has a note not to fit medium or heavy for a light load vehicle.
I have the Mopar bull bar, but no winches etc. I can get a kit here in Mexico which includes medium springs front and rear, but light struts up front (NS130) and med/heavy on the rear (NS132). Does that sound like a sensible combination?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of going this way since I am almost at 40,000 miles and I have noticed the shocks are getting worn. You recommend the heavy duty springs, would you still recommend them even when most of the time the vehicle is not carrying extra weight?
The OME spring specs. in the other Sticky has a note not to fit medium or heavy for a light load vehicle.
I have the Mopar bull bar, but no winches etc. I can get a kit here in Mexico which includes medium springs front and rear, but light struts up front (NS130) and med/heavy on the rear (NS132). Does that sound like a sensible combination?

the struts are the same no heavy or light
the springs are where it is at
I have the Med. duty springs and clear 245/75's on the OE wheels
for the most part guys want to run the heavy springs to gain lift
but I dont see the point it will not ride as good and still only clear the same size tire

Blaz0

Reaction score
What rate would a stock spring be considered? I want to do my homework before I install something I am going to dislike. Really love the way it rides now, but would love to get a bit more clearance. I guess what I am asking is there much difference between being lifted and stock, just as far as ride quality goes?

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What rate would a stock spring be considered? I want to do my homework before I install something I am going to dislike. Really love the way it rides now, but would love to get a bit more clearance. I guess what I am asking is there much difference between being lifted and stock, just as far as ride quality goes?

I think that is answered in the "OME Spring Specs." sticky.
The OME light load spring is 350lb, whereas the stock is 310lbs.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the struts are the same no heavy or light
the springs are where it is at
I have the Med. duty springs and clear 245/75's on the OE wheels
for the most part guys want to run the heavy springs to gain lift
but I dont see the point it will not ride as good and still only clear the same size tire

But presumably the NS131 is more heavily damped than the NS130?

Blaz0

Reaction score
So with the heavy springs on it does it ride like a lumber wagon? Just looking at the numbers, it's still hard to gauge.

While I'm at it, I still need skidplates. I don't plan on doing any rock climbing, just if they get in my way. :p I think with a lift, that the skidplates aren't as necessary, but i could be wrong on that.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
So with the heavy springs on it does it ride like a lumber wagon? Just looking at the numbers, it's still hard to gauge.

While I'm at it, I still need skid plates. I don't plan on doing any rock climbing, just if they get in my way. :p I think with a lift, that the skid plates aren't as necessary, but i could be wrong on that.

Skid plates=Cheap protection of your vehicle!
Why risk damage to your under carriage?
Skid plates are well worth the investment!

Cheers
Ry'

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine does not ride like a lumber wagon, nice and smooth out on the highway, can go over railraod tracks at 50 where before had to slow to 20. Rides well, handles great with the OME Heavy Dutys, I do have the ARB bumper but drove it to Orlando from Ohio when first lifted without the bumper and rode like a Caddy. Over 80,000 miles on the lift and still rides good. Can not be compared to the soft, mushy original springs and shocks, way better

SKID PLATES ARE NEEDED I have had to straddle ladders, rocks and all kinds of junk on the roads, with skids you do not worry as much , peace of mind!