looking for a lift. any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello. i have a 2002 KJ limited and figured its time to lift it. I would like to get 3-4". i have a budget of about $1500 may be able to stretch a bit but i have to save money for the tires. Any suggestions on lift kits and tire sizes

i was looking at the Rockfather II's from rocky road. anyone have experience with these?

Thanks for the input

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
hello. i have a 2002 KJ limited and figured its time to lift it. I would like to get 3-4". i have a budget of about $1500 may be able to stretch a bit but i have to save money for the tires. Any suggestions on lift kits and tire sizes

i was looking at the Rockfather II's from rocky road. anyone have experience with these?

Thanks for the input

Ones to stay away from
RRO( Rockfather lifts)
Rustys
Skyjacker
If you take the time to read on here and LOSTJEEPs you'll find 99% of the folks end up with OME or Ironman thats due to both kits work great and last a long time.
3-4 inches of lift you'll need to add top plate and clevis to either kit along with new jeepinbyal upper control arms. or he also has a kit that has everything but bumpstops
check jeepinbyal for everything to lift a KJ
tire size, 245-75-16

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read read read on here! Avoid rro... Based on experience on here. Check out jeepinbyal. Specifically the Tommudd 3.5 econolift. There is a lift FAQ on here.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for OME or Ironman. If you stay under 3" of lift you can get away without having to upgrade your upper control arms. Going to 4" you'll be able to squeeze slightly larger tires, 32" I believe, but anything bigger than 245/75r16 (about 30.5-31" depending on brand) and you'll need to regear, so keep that in mind too . To stay at $1500, I'd recommend staying at the 3" mark with upgraded control arms and 245/75r16 for tires. With 245's you'll want to regear but will be able to get by just fine. I can't imagine what running larger tires than that would be like on stock gearing.

Last edited:

karljp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another +1 on getting a full kit OME or Ironman. A bit expensive, but you will be glad you did get one.

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for OME or Ironman. If you stay under 3" of lift you can get away without having to upgrade your upper control arms. Going to 4" you'll be able to squeeze slightly larger tires, 32" I believe, but anything bigger than 245/75r16 (about 30.5-31" depending on brand) and you'll need to regear, so keep that in mind too . To stay at $1500, I'd recommend staying at the 3" mark with upgraded control arms and 245/75r16 for tires. With 245's you'll want to regear but will be able to get by just fine. I can't imagine what running larger tires than that would be like on stock gearing.
What iron man lift would fit the KJ?

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to the jeepinbyal.com website and it will tell you what you need to know. It is laid out well and easy to navigate.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What iron man lift would fit the KJ?

There's only one Ironman lift for the kj. Click here ---> Econo Lift Kits for the KJ . The only place I'm aware of to buy Ironman lifts. The only options are regular or heavy duty front springs, but both give the same amount of lift. If you're going to run a winch or aftermarket bumper go with the HD springs. Some recommend going HD even if you're not. I'm running HD OME springs up front and love them, not a harsh ride at all. The consensus on the board seems to be that OME gives you a tad more lift while Ironman gives you a tad better ride. I'm running a combo up front, Ironman in the rear and I love the ride.

They advertise 1.5" of lift for legal purposes (Ironman is Australian) but you'll get more like 2-2.25". Go with OME (Old Man Emu) and you'll get 2.5". If you want more lift, you can throw on a top plate, a couple clevis rings and you can easily get up to about 3.5" out of these kits. Of course if you go 3" or higher you'll need JBA upper control arms, or else your stock arms will come into contact with your springs upon full suspension droop. Tell us what height you want to be at and we'll recommend what to get. But from what you've said so far, check out the Tommudd kit on the link I sent you. That includes everything to get about 3.5", including JBA upper control arms, but does not include bumpstops.

Last edited:

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's only one Ironman lift for the kj. Click here ---> Econo Lift Kits for the KJ . The only place I'm aware of to buy Ironman lifts. The only options are regular or heavy duty front springs, but both give the same amount of lift. If you're going to run a winch or aftermarket bumper go with the HD springs. Some recommend going HD even if you're not. I'm running HD OME springs up front and love them, not a harsh ride at all. The consensus on the board seems to be that OME gives you a tad more lift while Ironman gives you a tad better ride. I'm running a combo up front, Ironman in the rear and I love the ride.

They advertise 1.5" of lift for legal purposes (Ironman is Australian) but you'll get more like 2-2.25". Go with OME (Old Man Emu) and you'll get 2.5". If you want more lift, you can throw on a top plate, a couple clevis rings and you can easily get up to about 3.5" out of these kits. Of course if you go 3" or higher you'll need JBA upper control arms, or else your stock arms will come into contact with your springs upon full suspension droop. Tell us what height you want to be at and we'll recommend what to get. But from what you've said so far, check out the Tommudd kit on the link I sent you. That includes everything to get about 3.5", including JBA upper control arms, but does not include bumpstops.
So i checked out the Tommudd kit and it seems pretty good to me. IS this a trust worthy lift. I mean for that money i want something that will last a while and is good quality. and recommendations on the bump stops? Im sorry for all the questions they might sound stupid but im trying to learn because i want to do this right!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i checked out the Tommudd kit and it seems pretty good to me. IS this a trust worthy lift. I mean for that money i want something that will last a while and is good quality. and recommendations on the bump stops? Im sorry for all the questions they might sound stupid but im trying to learn because i want to do this right!

First I'm going to put this right here for your reading pleasure.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/lift-faq-read-before-asking-questions-47137/

Next. Yes. That is one of the more highly regarded lifts on this forum. For bump stops the only choice I know of for the front is terraflex.

TeraFlex Bump Stop

For the rear typically two hockey pucks per side and long bolt.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I ran that kit for a little over a year and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score

on the tommudd lift it says that the cv axle will need cut down. What does that mean exactly

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the tommudd lift it says that the cv axle will need cut down. What does that mean exactly

You don't need to worry about that even though it says it. If you go above 4" you want to shave the CV's but don't even delve in to any of that right now. You will be just fine with your CV's as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I've noticed no one mention at which height do you need to change the brake lines.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I've noticed no one mention at which height do you need to change the brake lines.

ahhh a good question man. I would like to know that aswell.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

First I am not selling you a lift, I make nothing from these, want you to know so it doesn't seem I am pushing a product
but the Tommudd econo lift came about due to people always asking how can I get a good lift and what all parts do I need . Talked with Marlin ( owner of JeepinByAl ) and we came up with the kit. So a list was put together of parts that worked well together for a full kit, punch a button and buy. I have either ran personally or have installed everything included in the kit . If going that route use the .500 clevis spacer when asked when you order.
Ironman has only been in this country about 3 or so years, but the first set in I tested then installed on a friends KJ and he's still rocking it yet. I ran OME for 100,000 before I swapped it out for another lift, so both are good setups and will last

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Front you don't have to, rear you have to make an extension on the 05 and later to drop it down about 3 inches . OR you can buy aftermarket kits from JBA.

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I am not selling you a lift, I make nothing from these, want you to know so it doesn't seem I am pushing a product
but the Tommudd econo lift came about due to people always asking how can I get a good lift and what all parts do I need . Talked with Marlin ( owner of JeepinByAl ) and we came up with the kit. So a list was put together of parts that worked well together for a full kit, punch a button and buy. I have either ran personally or have installed everything included in the kit . If going that route use the .500 clevis spacer when asked when you order.
Ironman has only been in this country about 3 or so years, but the first set in I tested then installed on a friends KJ and he's still rocking it yet. I ran OME for 100,000 before I swapped it out for another lift, so both are good setups and will last
I want to say thank you for all your help. I will be going with the econo kit. It seems like the best deal for the money. i will get the .500 clevis spacers. Im guessing that a 245 tire would be the max to run on this or could it handle a 265? Thanks again for all the help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to say thank you for all your help. I will be going with the econo kit. It seems like the best deal for the money. i will get the .500 clevis spacers. Im guessing that a 245 tire would be the max to run on this or could it handle a 265? Thanks again for all the help.
Stick with 245-75-16 unless you are ready to regear to at least 4.10s