looking for a lift. any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
These are the wheels and tires i plan on getting. Size 31x10.50 on 15" x 8" 3.75" BS

Pro Comp Xtreme M/T2 Radial Tire on 7069 Series Alloy Wheel Qty 5 for Jeep® Vehicles with 5x4.5 Bolt Pattern - Quadratec

would those fit or not. i figured that it would be easier to show you the size i want and go from there.

Personally no I wouldn't run that size wheel, will have lots of rubbing in the front, wheel / tire combo will present issues when flexing so will have to run more bumpstops etc. THEN also with an alloy wheel highly doubt they will clear the calipers on the front, steel wheels will but not alloy
won't even get into the tires

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those wheels might work, might not. Guys that know more than me (which isn't hard to accomplish) keep preaching that a 16x7 wheel with a 4 inch back space is the ideal size for aluminum wheels. 15" aluminum wheels tend to not clear the calipers up front, but certain 15" steel wheels work well (such as Soft 8's).

Perhaps the most common aluminum wheels used on the kj's are the Moab 16x8's taken off the older TJ Rubicons ('04-'06 I believe).

For bumpstops - up front your only choice are the Teraflex bumpstops for sale on jeepinbyal.com (about $50 to your door). Nobody else makes them. For rears, some guys buy them from Daystar, most bolt in a couple of hockey pucks, which work great and are super cheap.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleive there is another company that also makes bumpstops for the KJ.. but I will refrain from naming them since it's best to stay far away from them

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're talking front bumpstops, Teraflex is the only one I could find. Rear might be another story. But not sure how you could build a bad bump stop - bad fitment I suppose

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're talking front bumpstops, Teraflex is the only one I could find. Rear might be another story. But not sure how you could build a bad bump stop - bad fitment I suppose

I didn't want to mention it becasue the company is garbage themselves so I didn't want to promote them. but if you want to know, I'm pretty sure RRO makes a front bumpstop for the KJ.. at least they used to but they may have stopped making it recently too.

If any company could find a way to screw something up it would be RRO

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
RRO made that piece that you could bolt through the front UCA so that a longer bumpstop wasn't needed . But who wanted to drill through it and possibly weaken it in the process?

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally no I wouldn't run that size wheel, will have lots of rubbing in the front, wheel / tire combo will present issues when flexing so will have to run more bumpstops etc. THEN also with an alloy wheel highly doubt they will clear the calipers on the front, steel wheels will but not alloy
won't even get into the tires
got it. how about i just get these wheels instead 16x8 with 4 inch backspacing. what does the backspacing mean, is there a wheel spacer built in? I would just have to buy tires, any suggestions? i live in an area with rough roads/ dirt and gravel roads/ and snow...

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
got it. how about i just get these wheels instead 16x8 with 4 inch backspacing. what does the backspacing mean, is there a wheel spacer built in? I would just have to buy tires, any suggestions? i live in an area with rough roads/ dirt and gravel roads/ and snow...
16 X 7 with 4 inches of backspacing sits the tire and wheel right out to the edge of the flare but still stuffs good.
Backspacing is the space from the rear lip to the mounting area So if you have a 7 inch wheel with 4 inches of backspacing it means there is 4 inches from the rear lip to where it bolts to the hub , and 3 inches from there to the front lip of the wheel
8 inch wheel with 5 inches of backspacing will work good as well , but you don't need a 8 inch wheel

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16 X 7 with 4 inches of backspacing sits the tire and wheel right out to the edge of the flare but still stuffs good.
Backspacing is the space from the rear lip to the mounting area So if you have a 7 inch wheel with 4 inches of backspacing it means there is 4 inches from the rear lip to where it bolts to the hub , and 3 inches from there to the front lip of the wheel
8 inch wheel with 5 inches of backspacing will work good as well , but you don't need a 8 inch wheel
so a 16x8 might be too big meaning sticking out too far? even with a 4" backspacing

and would a 255 tire be okay or too big

Last edited:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, how are so many people running the 16x8 Moabs with so much success? Or are they rubbing and just dont care?

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those wheels might work, might not. Guys that know more than me (which isn't hard to accomplish) keep preaching that a 16x7 wheel with a 4 inch back space is the ideal size for aluminum wheels. 15" aluminum wheels tend to not clear the calipers up front, but certain 15" steel wheels work well (such as Soft 8's).

Perhaps the most common aluminum wheels used on the kj's are the Moab 16x8's taken off the older TJ Rubicons ('04-'06 I believe).

For bumpstops - up front your only choice are the Teraflex bumpstops for sale on jeepinbyal.com (about $50 to your door). Nobody else makes them. For rears, some guys buy them from Daystar, most bolt in a couple of hockey pucks, which work great and are super cheap.
could i get a link to some rear bumpstops?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, how are so many people running the 16x8 Moabs with so much success? Or are they rubbing and just dont care?

Running a Moab with 5 inches of backspacing and 8 inches wide is the same as running a 7 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing ( as far as how far out they come. You can stuff both up in the wheelwells just the same .
I run Moabs for two reasons like the looks and I like the looks, wish they were 7 inches wide since even with 265-75-16s I think the Moabs are too wide by an inch

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
could i get a link to some rear bumpstops?

Two hockey pucks per side bolted down work perfect on most lifts that normal people do. Me I had to be different and run 2 and a half per side :shrug::happy175: