looking for a good cargo rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Im looking for a good cargo rack for the roof of my kj but don't know where to start. What is a good one to look into and how hard are they to install? Do they mount to my factory roof rails or do they require drilling new holes? Any info would greatly help

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Rola rack and homemade cross bars. There are a bunch if threads here in both. This is an inexpensive solution but there are heartier options out there if you want.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on what you want a light weight one to look the look or one you can actually use
Also some you have to mount so high off the roof you can slide a dead body in between it and the roof itself
or of course Rock Lizard makes one that mounts where the original rails mount and its strong as heck

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need it for function. We compete in archer tournaments all over the country so extra storage space for bow cases, bags, and the rest of our gear is needed. You should have seen me trying to load an 8' Christmas tree inside of it the other day since i don't have crossbars on top. Was a funny sight for sure

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Also some you have to mount so high off the roof you can slide a dead body in between it and the roof itself...
Some of us actually need that feature. :secret:

You can go here: profdlps-2007-liberty-project and see some excellent advice I received when I got mine a few months ago. It was the first "big" thing I did. Starting with Post #14 you can see what I ended up getting.

I'm kidding around with Tom, because if I had one do-over it would be to skip the crossbars I bought and customize my own setup to get it a little lower on the roof. That's probably going to be an early spring project for me. The pictures I have over there make it look higher than it actually is, but after having had it on there for about four months now I think I have figured out a good way to bring it down by about 1.5". If what I'm thinking of doing works out, the bottom of the basket will end up even with the bottom of the rails instead of being about 3/4" above the top of them. (I'm referring to the side rails here.)

I also got the 24" extension, even though I wasn't sure I wanted (or needed) it. It could be removed easily if I ever decide I want a shorter rack. (That's what she said...) I like the extra length (That's what he said...) and intend to keep it, but bought it at the time because I've had experience with items being discontinued and having the add-ons for them become unavailable.

Going to stick a few off-road lights on the thing at some point, too - just because I like 'em. :icon_wink:

ADDED: Beginning with Post #33 you can catch a look at the finished installation. :)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
here is one I had back in 04-06 , mounted low and useable but like all racks like this one not much in the way of being able to load much up there due to strength.
You must be registered for see images attach

Man my KJ was so small in those pictures :laughing1:
I finally got smart and bought this one from RL right after mounting before lights

recent one showing low light placement if you are interested in installing some up on the rack Mines in the front

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online