Locking Fuel Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mojo_kj

Reaction score

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're just worried about the gas in the tank and not looks, you can just get a locking gas cap for around $15. No mods needed for that.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A locking fuel door or locking cap will do nothing to stop a gas theif.They will just drill a hole in your gas tank,even a OEM skid will not slow them done.Better to have them just go through the gas cap as $85 in gas is cheaper then a $650 gas tank.

Besides you have a anti-siphon device in the hose anyways.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't care about the lock, I've seen similar aftermarket fuel doors at Advance Auto and the like, and they're a lot cheaper.

I bought a locking gas cap for mine, more to keep pranksters OUT of my gas tank than to keep the gas IN. If somebody wants to drill a hole in my tank, there isn't a lot I can do to stop them.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't care about the lock, I've seen similar aftermarket fuel doors at Advance Auto and the like, and they're a lot cheaper.

I bought a locking gas cap for mine, more to keep pranksters OUT of my gas tank than to keep the gas IN. If somebody wants to drill a hole in my tank, there isn't a lot I can do to stop them.

Yes, if they want it that bad they'll get it. Now, keeping sugar out of the tank, that's what they are good for.

I'd get an OEM one tho to keep the old check engine light off. those others are cheap. I have neither though, but I'd get on OEM to be on the safe side.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the dealer and got a Mopar locking gas cap a few years ago. Only $15. or so and that way I was sure It would fit right and not throw a cell. Used it for a while then put it in the garage and put the OEM one back on. To me it was a pia locking/unlocking it. Anyway I got it more to stop stupid kids from putting something in the tank.

As mentioned most if not all vehicles today have an anti-siphon insert in the filler neck and the perps that steal gas today just drill a hole in the tank. Since I have a gas tank skid it would probably splatter all over them bastages.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Has anyone installed something like this?
I really like this one:

27004OA Sparco Fuel Door - Locking (Brushed Aluminum) for 02-06 Jeep Liberty at Andy's Auto Sport

Yes it is a bit pricey, but then so is $85 a tank!
I`m not bent on this brand, I just want it to look as flush as possible with as little modding as possible. If anyone has any thoughts/ideas/experience, that would be greatly appreciated!!!

I've got one of those on one of my Mini's.
Paid more than $200.00 for it when I bought it.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Sure looks spiffy ... Just a side note .. the KJ is very finicky about having a good seal at the cap. I bought a locking cap, best quality they had... ended up with a P0457 code :( about a week later.

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone is drilling holes in your gas tank to steal gas from your vehicle I think you may have bigger things to worry about...