Limited slip or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneOK

Reaction score
Hey, I bought a 2006 sport about 2 months ago with 127,000 miles on it. The jeep has been great and so has this forum.

I am trying to change the rear diff oil but I don't know if it is limited slip or not. I have the build sheet but that didn't really help. There was no sticker on the driver side of the axle, this was on the passenger side of the axle: (I took it off because there was rust and quite a bit of pitting behind it.)

You must be registered for see images attach

The top line of text is tplsc1666t115418, the second line is p68005373AA

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that before my label deteriorated it said Trac-lok or LSD on it. Mine does say on my build sheet that it does have Trac-lok. You can chock the fronts and jack up the back end and spin one rear wheel by hand. If they both rotate in the same direction, then LSD. If they rotate opposite then open.

BTW if you add friction modifier and don't need it, it won't hurt anything.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you will not do any harm by adding friction modifier but seeing as you will have removed the cover on the diff and cleaned it all out you could take a picture of the inside of the diff and post it up here to confirm if you have Trac Loc or not.

My 2002 Export 2.5 CRD Sport has a label on the axle, RHS, stating "410 Trac Loc"

LaneOK

Reaction score
Ok, based on everything I've seen I do not believe I have trac loc. I is not listed on the build sheet or the axle sticker and the tires rotate in opposite directions when its lifted up. Thanks for your help.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original documentation, or what options were available when new doesn't mean squat, as many of us here who have changed/altered/upgraded/modified/replaced things on their Jeeps can attest to. An actual hands on (and eyes) inspection is the only way of knowing for sure what you have.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Post 2, turn the wheels off the ground to tell for sure.
Service on the rear diff required is frequent and needed, every 12k miles if I remember correctly.
Get the gunk out by spraying with Brake Kleen.
53290[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Use dino gear lube it sticks better than synthetics and should protect gears better.
I run Lucas 85-140 & LS modifier in my Trash Lok. (good for trailer towing /heavy duty work outs):gr_grin:
Other wise 75W-90 Gear Lubricant is what the manual recommends.:whip:

Attachments

• JeepMaintence4.jpg
    JeepMaintence4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Members online