Light bar Switch wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the 4 wires coming out of the renny light bar switch would go to? Bought it from a guy over on lost and was wanting to use it to power my Hella's.

I know the one with the fuse is the +12 so out of the other 3 one needs to go to a ground, to the relay for the lights, and then maybe a switched power/power from the brights so they only come on with the brights?? The black tape goes to an LED that you put in the dash to show they are on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pic Via Tony:

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks tony!

So:
-Yellow=High beams(it'll be park lights for me)
-Black=ground
-Orange(not red)=Hella relay
-brown=+ power for relay in switch

Haha, and yeah, Ive got the cover, just wanted to check it out and see what all was in there. Way too complicated for just a switch.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, those two wires that come into the one red wire with the fuse on it.. Those are brown.. Maybe your monitor is playing tricks on you?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That switches wiring looks so hacked up and amature, I wouldn't trust it one bit!
You actually paid for that?

Well, I didnt steal it. Everyone that has a renny has a switch just like that so Im not alone. Everything looks fine to me though. :confused:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well, I didnt steal it. Everyone that has a renny has a switch just like that so Im not alone. Everything looks fine to me though. :confused:

Too much shrink tubing for me!
I'd at least cut off all that extra wiring and start from there...
At least then I'd know where I stand as far as the new wire connections are concerned.
I wouldn't feel comfortable not knowing what is underneath the shrink tubing.
Whether or not the wires were just twisted together or properly soldiered.
Just my opinion!
I'd hate to see a sweet KJ like yours go up in flames due to a cheesy wire connection!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You know if you would of let me buy the switch and cover you would not be having thses problems Jeepster!:D:D:D:D:D:D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know if you would of let me buy the switch and cover you would not be having thses problems Jeepster!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hahaha, I knew you would come and say something like that! :D Ive been waiting for what seems like years to get one though. I got the trim piece that holds the switch over a year ago then realized how much the switch costs. :rolleyes:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory install kit uses the tapa-fuse's and shrink tubing just like that, so i wouldn't call it an amateur hack job.

Your lucky to find one used...

There is a lot more inside there then i thought, looks like a small board mounted relay for sure, and a multitude of components. I thought it was much more simple then that.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much shrink tubing for me!
I'd at least cut off all that extra wiring and start from there...
At least then I'd know where I stand as far as the new wire connections are concerned.
I wouldn't feel comfortable not knowing what is underneath the shrink tubing.
Whether or not the wires were just twisted together or properly soldiered.
Just my opinion!
I'd hate to see a sweet KJ like yours go up in flames due to a cheesy wire connection!

Gotcha. I had planned on cutting all that off since I didnt want a splice right after a splice.

The factory install kit uses the tapa-fuse's and shrink tubing just like that, so i wouldn't call it an amateur hack job.

Your lucky to find one used...

There is a lot more inside there then i thought, looks like a small board mounted relay for sure, and a multitude of components. I thought it was much more simple then that.

Yeah I know, its ridiculous. They have a relay to turn on a relay.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey jeepjeepster, when you get your lightbar switch all in working order, can you tell me where exactly to wire everything????? ive had my lightbar installed for about 2 months but i cant get that stupid nightmare of a switched working. i used the wiring diagram you have and i put the wires where it said to but no luck. as of now i have a positive fused wire coming in from the battery and a wire that goes into a relay. all i need is for that switch to send the power from the battery through the switch and out to the relay wire. why cant chrysler just make a simple switch?!

Inc

Free
Reaction score
I need to pop my switch out and see how it is wired. I want to change my switch out since I am not crazy about the one that came from the factory.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you are getting rid of yours, could I have the pigtail that plugs into it? As of now I'm just going to put female pins into it which isn't the safest but as long as it works.

Inc

Free
Reaction score
I need to see what all changing out the switch entails and then let you know what I have left over.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were right tony. Hooked it up to a battery and everything worked as it should.

This is how Im going to wire mine up kbooneKJ:

-Yellow=Park lights or something that will give the switch power when you turn the lights on. This turns on the light inside the switch.
-Black=ground
-Orange(not red)=Hella relay. This is the wire thats actually switched.
-brown=+ power for relay in switch. Probably get power for this from the park lights and high beam lights

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not that bad. Its just like hooking up any other relay since it has a relay inside of it. Its only 4 wires. +, ground, power for light inside the switch and the wire to turn on the relay for your lights.

Members online

No members online now.