Light bar advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the way the Renegade light bar looks. I want one BUT they are kinda pricey. There is 1 on ebay for ~$500 shipped. I don't want to hook it up - just stick it in for looks. While on ebay I saw an off brand for ~$200 that looks VERY similar. I can't find any info on it. What do ya think????

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

________
MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save your money for the actual thing.Those cheap versions you have to wire yourself(no OEM look) and are only held on with double sided tape.The actual OEM Renegade light bar is made for Jeep by Hella,very good lights.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love an OEM lightbar too.. But for $500 i can do a lot of other stuff instead!

For $500 i could put the crossbars on the roof rack, get a roof basket for added cargo space, and put a couple pairs of Hella 500FF's on the roof basket instead. And still have some money left over for plenty of Beer.

Don't get me wrong, the OEM ones look cool as hell, and they are nice and bright, but i can do a lot more for the money.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and that eBay one is crap.. Its thin plastic and goes on with peel and stick foam tape, the lights are cheesy and the reflectors loose there chrome finish after a while in the sun. There was a guy that reviewed one of them on another forum, a NON-Jeep forum i happen to be a member of. He said it was the worst waste of money ever.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
YOU SHOULD WAIT FOR A BADASS LIGHT BAR TO BE RELEASED THAT USES FACTORY HOLES!

Where one would be attained? Who knows!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah lots of holes... Look in the how-to section at the factory installation instructions. There is what 6 bolts? I don't remember now. But you drill all the holes, install nutserts into the holes for the bolts to screw into, and then of course there is the one larger hole for the rubber grommet that the wiring passes through.

I actually found a few junkyard lightbars for the $250-$300 range, but the yards always seem to unbolt them and leave the wiring and that roof grommet in the vehicle. I haven't been able to find a source for such a grommet yet.

You could drill a hole and install a normal rubber grommet and then RTV the heck out of it since it wouldn't be visible after installation, but still it would be nice to have that factory grommet.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A complete OEM lightbar kit includes all the wiring and switches to make it look OEM installed which costs a little more.Plus I don't know where your only finding them for $500,I bought mine from a dealership for $350 and got the reciept somewhere around here,granted that was in 2006 though.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A complete OEM lightbar kit includes all the wiring and switches to make it look OEM installed which costs a little more.Plus I don't know where your only finding them for $500,I bought mine from a dealership for $350 and got the reciept somewhere around here,granted that was in 2006 though.

ebay and its just under $550. That is with all needed for install. It's a dealer selling them. I haven't checked locally yet. I've just started on this project.
________
Ipad Guide

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Slightly off topic/but still on the topic of lightbars.

Have you thought of mounting another type of light bar to the roof of your Liberty so you could mount other types of offroad lamps?
As an example, I found this while checking out ebay, something like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ROOF...ies?hash=item5ad3142949&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Or you could use a Whelen Engineering type (The same equipment Police, fire, Ambulance vehicles use to mount their lighting, only then just a bar which you can mount any lights too.)
Very similar to the example from ebay, but then U.S. made very high quality. I have a link for the fitting bracketry, but I've seemed to have lost the link for the bar system itself!
http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/details_prod.php?head_id=4&cat_id=17&prod_id=80

I am using a Thule roof rack bar system which uses pretty much uses the same fitting brackets as the Whelen system. Only I plan on drilling 3 holes on the drivers side and 3 on the passengers side, installing nutserts and mounting it that way, as I am mounting two 8 inch round lamps and two
6"X9" lamps with a 6"X4" remote operated lamp in the middle.

Just a thought!

Cheers
Ry'

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO they are a complete waste of money
I had the OE fog lights and 4 KC's up front on a light bar
1 KC out back on my trail rack and 4 "rock lights"
removed the light bar
removed the trail rack
all the rock lights got broke
removed the OE fogs
all I have are the head lights
I dont wheel at night ,unless it is on the street in which case you can use none of the lights I removed other than the fogs
oh this was on my TJ

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what SS screw are but the OEM bar is held on by nut rivets (nutsertz, blind rivets, whatever you wanna call them). Basically nuts that go into the metal and are bent behind the metal to stay in place, so bolts can be screwed into them. Thats the easy part, the initial drilling was enough to give me a heart attack!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SS Screws = Stainless Steel Screws....

I see that abbreviation all the time so i knew what he meant.. lol