Lift question 02 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckorch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off hello all. new to the jeep market. Sold my mustang cobra and now working on a new hobby. Going different route this time. So i got some extra cash and been looking at the jeepbyal site at his silver kit to lift my new toy. I picked up a 2002 liberty sport 147k miles. Looks stock. shifts good drives good no issues yet. But anywho.....

this is what i want to start off with.... ARB bumper and at least 2.5 inches of lift This truck will be a simple DD maybe some offroad and will be towing a small RV at times to the local camp site 20 miles up the rd ... 1999 24ft jayco. and i know they tow like crap but at low speeds and level rd it does the job so far.

looking at the silver package at 2172.00 Looks to be everything i need but think it might be more then i need

also looking at tommudds eco kit that gives 3.5 but i worry about the weight of the arb bumper off setting the lift. what can i do to fix this? is 2.5 to much without changing the CV's? anything else needed with this kit?

which kit do you think would be good. i don't want to blow 5grand doing this with the arb at a grand already was hoping to lift for less then the 2grand but if i must then i will. I just feel that the coilovers might be more then a on-road rig needs.

i will be installing myself over a weekend if possible i have installed superchargers drop kits and other regular maintenance but now that i lost my shop this will happen in the driveway i guess.

anyway hope that wasn't to long winded and thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Tommudd has the crd springs in front to help off set the ARB and wench. PM him he can be vary helpful as he has done many KJ lifts.

ckorch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what im looking at can you guys think of anything else i will need to get started on this project. i like to have everything i need before i start a project?

Tommudd's Econo 3.5" Lift Kit KJ
What size clevis spacer do you need?
Clevis Spacer 0.375" (TYP)
What engine do you have?
Diesel engine or 50-100kg Additional Weight on Front En ...
What engine do you have?
Diesel engine or 50-100kg Additional Weight on Front End, HD Front Springs
Edit $1,363.69 $1,363.69
Remove item

ARB Bull Bar 2001-2004
Edit $904.64 $904.64
Remove item

Moog Lower Ball Joints
Edit $57.77 $115.54
Remove item

TeraFlex Bump Stop
Edit $21.99 $43.98
Remove item

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked out the jeepinbyal site.

My god is that guy full of himself. It is one thing to be good, but quite another to tote yourself off to the world.

Anyways, aside from the price tag, that's a nice lift. I have his upper arms in my liberty and they seem quite well built

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what im looking at can you guys think of anything else i will need to get started on this project. i like to have everything i need before i start a project?

What engine do you have?
What engine do you have?
Edit $1,363.69 $1,363.69
Remove item

ARB Bull Bar 2001-2004
Edit $904.64 $904.64
Remove item

Moog Lower Ball Joints
Edit $57.77 $115.54
Remove item

TeraFlex Bump Stop
Edit $21.99 $43.98
Remove item

Don't forget about rear bump stops...most of us have used hockey pucks to make them ourselves.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you're going with the ARB your choice of the diesel engine option will take care of the extra weight of the ARB.

As noted, use two hockey pucks bolted to the spring perch for rear bumpstops.

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The arb weighs 70lbs at most though, so I wouldnt worry too much about that. The winch is where the weight is.

ckorch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever had any experience with this bumper?

SC Rockstar Front Bumper ('02-'04 KJ)

Yeah im looking at a winch and not sure which one to get. im not going to be using it much so i don't want to spend a grand on a winch that is just going to be sitting up there so i will prob hold out on a winch unless i can find one is the 3-500 range.

hockey pucks? like real hockey pucks? where would i even buy something like that? i live in arkansas so hockey isn't really a popular sport here.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
has anyone ever had any experience with this bumper?

SC Rockstar Front Bumper ('02-'04 KJ)

Yeah im looking at a winch and not sure which one to get. im not going to be using it much so i don't want to spend a grand on a winch that is just going to be sitting up there so i will prob hold out on a winch unless i can find one is the 3-500 range.

hockey pucks? like real hockey pucks? where would i even buy something like that? i live in arkansas so hockey isn't really a popular sport here.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:so funny regarding the Rockstar bumper , better do some more reading on it, only about 4 or 5 produced
If you get an ARB make sure the winch fits in only certain ones do
With the 927s it will handle the ARB fine, the winch makes a difference
SO if you are not installing the winch right away DO NOT go for the 790 front springs will ride way too rough
Can order hockey pucks or have someone send a few to you. I always keep at least 8-10 ready to go/pre drilled :waytogo:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked an ARB was like 150lbs and a Matrix was 85lbs. Buy the way my Matrix ships today 2 packages and I believe the weight was 42 lbs each can't believe an.ARB weighs less then a Matrix.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Last time I checked an ARB was like 150lbs and a Matrix was 85lbs. Buy the way my Matrix ships today 2 packages and I believe the weight was 42 lbs each can't believe an.ARB weighs less then a Matrix.

ARB weighs a lot more

ckorch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so i need 4 reg hockey pucks. i guess i bolt them to the bottom of the spring perch?

i kind of noticed i see no one with the rockstar bumper it was just a alternative. not really even cheaper just a different look.

can anyone suggest a non warn winch or a cheaper 3-500 range winch i can add to the arb bumper?

How much are just the HD springs incase i can't find a winch right off seeing as i would have to change out springs when i add the winch down the road.

what is matrix is that a different bumper?

sorry for all the questions just getting into the 4wd thing i like go fast stuff but in my old age im slowing down LOL

thanks again everyone for the help.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no way an arb weighs more than that. I'm not a particularly strong guy, and can lift one with one arm, from the ground to full extent above my head.

Arb bumpers are not strong bumpers. They weren't designed to be. They are built expressly with collision in mind, in such a way that they themselves have crumple zones, and protect your vehicle from getting any further damage.

This is with it directly in mind that, in Australia (where they are built), the most likely thing you will hit is a kangaroo or other large animal, and is a quite common occurence out there.

I'm not saying they're not tough. They are. Matter of fact, they are exactly strong enough to be used to mount a functional winch, and do many traditional (and non-traditional) recoveries.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
okay so i need 4 reg hockey pucks. i guess i bolt them to the bottom of the spring perch?

Yes drill through the lower spring mount in the center and bolt in

i kind of noticed i see no one with the rockstar bumper it was just a alternative. not really even cheaper just a different look.

There were a few sold but thats been 4 years ago , buddy of mine has one , crappy way to mount one as well

can anyone suggest a non warn winch or a cheaper 3-500 range winch i can add to the arb bumper?
No

How much are just the HD springs incase i can't find a winch right off seeing as i would have to change out springs when i add the winch down the road.
165-170 bucks just like any of the OME springs, all the same price

what is matrix is that a different bumper?

Matrix is from JeepinByAl

sorry for all the questions just getting into the 4wd thing i like go fast stuff but in my old age im slowing down LOL

thanks again everyone for the help.

sure anytime

ckorch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i got my list together and about to order. Anyone know what lights will fit in the bumper? i got no factory fogs but want to fill the hole. Any other tips and tricks i should know before i start the install. Any suggestions on what im missing before the order would be awesome

thanks

What engine do you have?
What engine do you have?
Edit $1,363.69 $1,363.69
Remove item

ARB Bull Bar 2001-2004
Edit $904.64 $904.64
Remove item

Moog Lower Ball Joints
Edit $57.77 $115.54
Remove item

TeraFlex Bump Stop
Edit $21.99 $43.98
Remove item

4 rubber hockey pucks

Smittybilt XRC8

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
no way an arb weighs more than that. I'm not a particularly strong guy, and can lift one with one arm, from the ground to full extent above my head.

Arb bumpers are not strong bumpers. They weren't designed to be. They are built expressly with collision in mind, in such a way that they themselves have crumple zones, and protect your vehicle from getting any further damage.

This is with it directly in mind that, in Australia (where they are built), the most likely thing you will hit is a kangaroo or other large animal, and is a quite common occurence out there.

I'm not saying they're not tough. They are. Matter of fact, they are exactly strong enough to be used to mount a functional winch, and do many traditional (and non-traditional) recoveries.

Mines hit 4 Deer, one Toyota Camry and a Chev Pickup so far
Have you actually ever lifted a KJ ARB ? They are heavier than what you think, heavier than one for a XJ

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
okay i got my list together and about to order. Anyone know what lights will fit in the bumper? i got no factory fogs but want to fill the hole. Any other tips and tricks i should know before i start the install. Any suggestions on what im missing before the order would be awesome

thanks

What engine do you have?
What engine do you have?
Edit $1,363.69 $1,363.69
Remove item

ARB Bull Bar 2001-2004
Edit $904.64 $904.64
Remove item

Moog Lower Ball Joints
Edit $57.77 $115.54
Remove item

TeraFlex Bump Stop
Edit $21.99 $43.98
Remove item

4 rubber hockey pucks

Smittybilt XRC8

I have new factory fogs if you have 02-04 if you need some

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure the factory fogs have the mounting bracket built in. Mine are still sitting the bits of the bumper i cut off and havent really looked at em since i stashed them away till needed.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines hit 4 Deer, one Toyota Camry and a Chev Pickup so far
Have you actually ever lifted a KJ ARB ? They are heavier than what you think, heavier than one for a XJ

yes, I have. Ironically, the first ARB I ever owned was a wrecked one from a KJ that I fixed up and sold. they are light.