Lift or Not to Lift (RRO Combo)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for input on the following points:
1) lift on a KJ that sees regular speeds of 80-85mph
2) mileage/gallon concerns (with a 245/75 tire) compared to stock of ~17mpg
3) lifts and heavy mileage (35,6xx miles to date in first year of ownership)

ONLY lift in consideration is the RRO combo because I don’t need/want a full 2.5", its price and users testimonial (all positive from what I've read).

My current situation has me looking for a house in a heavy lake effect snow area and would like to put on 245/75 tires (Revos) as a result. With my KJ being a '04 a lift would be required. Current commute to work is 60 miles (one way), looking to cut that in half within 6 months though.

Any input is eagerly desired to help me figure this out.....

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you aren't looking to lift too much, so I would think that the lift would be fine for your speeds. Mileage will decrease some with the bigger tires, just how much depends on the vehicle. I put on some tires that aren't as big as the ones you are looking at (basically just the optional factory size) and the mileage dropped about three quarters of a mpg just based on the tires. Yours are bigger, so you might drop a little more. Then again maybe not, user experiences with mileage tend to vary wildly. Can't answer the last question with any certainty, as I am saving for my lift, but a lift will increase the wear on some components, so they could wear out sooner. However, if the lift is good, then I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on things. Esp. since you aren't lifting very much. Have you considered the OME lift, also available at RRO? From what I hear, it might be a little better than the one you are looking at. It doesn't lift very much either, at least it isn't a 2.5" lift at any rate, if I recall correctly. I have not heard too much positive about RRO outfitters, but if you are comfortable, then that is all that matters. I believe that there is some discussion in other areas on the boards about trimming with bigger tires. I don't beleive that your size is mentioned, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look at any rate. Good luck and welcome \:D/

Yesteryear Sports

Reaction score
Trying to save gas after lift and larger tires

I just put on a 2.5" lift with 245/75/16 AT tires. I have done the following to save gas so far:

K&N cold air intake system, hood louvers, flowmaster 50 muffler, synthetic oil and E3 plugs. I hear headers and / or changing gear ratio will help improve gas mileage. Most of all, I drive this slow to conserve fuel.

The gear ratio job was estimated at $1000 - $1,200
I just spent a lot on the lift and tires. So funds are limited right now.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, way to raise an old thread from the dead. last post 7 years ago lol.
re-gearing would probably be an improvement, not really required until you get up to 265's though..

You just want suggestions for mods in general? What do you use the Jeep for? Skid plates, rockers, lights, tow hooks, bumper, winch....SFA swap, engine swap. Possibilities are pretty much endless

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he was asking for tips on saving gas after lift/tires. My suggestion is buy a new vehicle.

Yea you're right he did say gas...I read it fast. All of my suggestions will increase your weight and decrease gas mileage. I agree if you're concerned about mpg, a jeep may not be the best choice for you. Maybe try drafting behind a really big truck everywhere you go!?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just put on a 2.5" lift with 245/75/16 AT tires. I have done the following to save gas so far:

K&N cold air intake system, hood louvers, flowmaster 50 muffler, synthetic oil and E3 plugs. I hear headers and / or changing gear ratio will help improve gas mileage. Most of all, I drive this slow to conserve fuel.

The gear ratio job was estimated at $1000 - $1,200
I just spent a lot on the lift and tires. So funds are limited right now.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Better mileage ??
Get rid of the K&N filter first
then get some good copper core plugs and throw the E3s away
both cause issues
Headers won't do much at all unless you send off the computer as well
Gearing helps to keep the engine in its best rpm on the highway
I drive 70 plus on the higway and get 20.5-21 all day long. Also when taking off I get up to speed as soon as I can.
or lower it, stock height tires and still the above

hope you didn't buy the RRO lift reason for locking into this thread

Last edited:

Chuck C

Reaction score
Appreciate the info everyone. I am getting 20 - 21 mpg which is damn good for a Jeep. So, no complaints here. This is a daily driver. So, I can't use it the way I would like but still hit trails and use it to tow a small boat when I go fishing. I would never get rid of my Jeep. The best vehicle I have ever owned. Have too much damn fun with it.

Has anyone bedlined their fender flares, bumpers, lower doors and / or grilles? I am going to do this soon and wanted to know what kind to use. I was thinking of going with the Raptor bedliner.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the DupliColor bedliner on the roof of my Libby - very satisfied with it. Enough left over in the 1 gallon can to do the flares, lower panels, etc if I wanted to. Good stuff - they use Kevlar particles instead of rubber so very durable. Plus it's water based so easy to clean up.

Bob

Last edited:

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the DupliColor bedliner on the roof of my Libby - very satisfied with it. Enough left over in the 1 gallon can to do the flares, lower panels, etc if I wanted to. Good stuff - they use Kevlar particles instead of rubber so very durable. Plus it's water based so easy to clean up.

Bob

I used the same one only it was the spray can and it appears to very very easy to just peel off. Im going to go over it with the roll on and see if that helps. If not a friend told me about some spray called bull dog or something like that. It preps plastics to receive paint or other coatings.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bedlined their fender flares, bumpers, lower doors and / or grilles? I am going to do this soon and wanted to know what kind to use. I was thinking of going with the Raptor bedliner.
I've had my flares,beltline,and roof bedlines for 10 years now,almost zero fade with this stuff...............

U.S. Chemical & Plastics

You must be registered for see images attach

From a few months old way back in '02 after fixing $5500 in hail damage.

Best pic I could find of the roof.

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of scratches on my roof from hauling stuff over the years... Bike, kayaks, construction materials... I want to paint the roof but I'm worried if it peels and water gets trapped u der the bed liner and it creates ROT! And I agree NJallDay, that IS a bad ass roof rack. I like the louvers too. Are they functional?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a bad ass roof rack man. Is that custom?
Rock Lizard Gecko Basket Rack,actually the prototype.

I have a lot of scratches on my roof from hauling stuff over the years... Bike, kayaks, construction materials... I want to paint the roof but I'm worried if it peels and water gets trapped u der the bed liner and it creates ROT! And I agree NJallDay, that IS a bad ass roof rack. I like the louvers too. Are they functional?
The stuff I use does not peel unless you just totally failed at the prep.Others products have issues even when preped correctly(anything sold by duplicolor,hurculiner,and others).

Oh and yes the vents are functional.

Last edited:

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I dig the latex glove to prevent debris from entering the throttle body while working n the car... Clever.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey tj. How much did that uschem stuff cost you per gallon? And is the mix only a spray mix o can it be applied with a roller?