What size lift to comfortably fit 31’s-32’s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outlaw214

Reaction score
Hello every one I just got a 06 kj 120k miles on the body but olny maybe 20k actual driven miles was towed behind rv since bought new in 06. This past weekend I put 2in levers on top of the front struts, and I would like to run 31’s or 32’s comfortably but still have some nice wheel to fender clearance to have the nice lifted look to it… so basically what I’m asking is what size lift is needed, and if anyone could point me in the direction of where to get the lift it would be greatly appreciate. All the lifts I can find on Google are 1.5-2.5 blocks you just mount on top of the struts.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to replace your shocks and springs. An Old Man Emu setup will give 2 to 2 1/2 inches of lift. Some people prefer Bilstein shocks. Offroadwarehouse.com is a good source, and the part numbers are down in my sig. Spacers aren’t good for the front suspension and CV joints. These Jeeps are old now, and there are fewer good options available.

Other suspension mods include JBA upper control arms in front, and IRO (Iron Rock Offroad?) has a set of rear control arms with adapters available for KJ’s. I hope to upgrade my control arms by next summer.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever the block/spacer spacer size, equates to nearly 50% more at the wheel. That's the nature of a basic lever & fulcrum.

I've stopped at about 3" of lift and it fits 30" tires with a little rubbing. Its comprised of the Teraflex 2" budget-boost, RRO UCA's, diesel coils, KK forks, and about 3/4" cradle drop. Over 100,000km on it that way now.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to rocky road outfitters and get their complete kit the rockfather,which will include upper A arms..double up on the rear rubber spring iso's,2 hockey pucks per side in the rear , hammer down the front pinch weld and you'll run 255/75/17 which are 32s all day with no issues ...been running this set up for 4yrs now with no issues and I wheel the crap out of my jeep

SilverbearX

Reaction score
Just go to rocky road outfitters and get their complete kit the rockfather,which will include upper A arms..double up on the rear rubber spring iso's,2 hockey pucks per side in the rear , hammer down the front pinch weld and you'll run 255/75/17 which are 32s all day with no issues ...been running this set up for 4yrs now with no issues and I wheel the crap out of my jeep
Did you have to regear?

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to regear?
I did not..stock gearing with a locker in the rear...I did lose some power but it's a jeep so it was never fast, my trans doesn't shift unnecessary and I've been rockin that size since I bought it over 120k miles later still good..I can still pass in traffic and go up hills without slowing down traffic so I'm good

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not..stock gearing with a locker in the rear...I did lose some power but it's a jeep so it was never fast, my trans doesn't shift unnecessary and I've been rockin that size since I bought it over 120k miles later still good..I can still pass in traffic and go up hills without slowing down traffic so I'm good
What kind of locker did you put in the rear end? Lunchbox? I have a Torq locker for the rear that I will be installing at some point soon. I’d love to hear your thoughts on driving and wheeling with one.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of locker did you put in the rear end? Lunchbox? I have a Torq locker for the rear that I will be installing at some point soon. I’d love to hear your thoughts on driving and wheeling with one.
I got the powertrax no slip...I forget it's there I daily the thing with no issues,offroad it's a beast,I've posted pics of the libby rock crawling etc. There hasn't been a trail yet that I cant keep it with my wrangler buddies......once I go solid front axle I'll he installing the same locker up front, my XJ has the same locker in the rear also

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to regear?
I have 245-75-16´s on mine. I regeared to 4:10's and I'm glad I did. I saw the power come back and the gas mileage was back to normal levels of the KJ. I don't wheel mine b/c my wife uses it mostly but when it was my daily the regear was a lot nicer driving on the road.