liberty stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wee lou

Reaction score
my 2.5 crd stalls some times at stop junction or light and then take 15min before you can start it took a look at fuel filter and there was yellow sludge in it so am going to replace will this work ?i hope so when it is running it is fine idle is also fine and the is no check engine light at all .

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yellow sludge is not a good sign. Change out the fuel filter and make sure you prime it well afterwards- you mught be getting some air in there as well.

wee lou

Reaction score
ifthis does not work what would be next on list ,and what is the yellow sludge.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuck, sounds like biologics - algae and/or microbes.

Basically, the most effective method is to drop and clean the tank.

Besides that, only other way is treating the fuel tank with biocide, and having several spare filters on hand - because as the biocide kills that stuff off, there's only one place for it to go - sucked up into your fuel filter.:disgust:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 2.5 CRD you can access the inside of the tank from within the rear cargo bay.
The carpet in the rear cargo bay has strap hooks right at the rear...you can drill out the pop rivets holding these plastic hooks down and then fold up the carpet. There is an access plate on the top of the tank which you can remove...obviously first drain the fuel out before doing this! Then you can remove the fuel-level sensor and clean out the tank by hand.

wee lou

Reaction score
just waiting new filter had to order it should be here in nexet day or 2 let you know how i get on cheers

wee lou

Reaction score
just waiting new filter had to order it should be here in nexet day or 2 let you know how i get on cheers

ok got new filter fitted didnt work would not stay running so had to tow it to garage anyway found out that the fuel filter head [housing] is bad the valve to stop fuel return is not working so need new filter housing can i put 2.8 one on ,as it is also self priming and has in and out for fuel so its the same rite ????:shrug: