Liberty shuts off after hard braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Happened to me twice. I was driving and I. had to press the brake suddenly and hard. All of a sudden the car stalls and the shuts off. I put it back in park and started right away.
You have any idea?
Thanks

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the engine? 3.7 4 cylinder or crd? Also, what year? Could have carbon build up in the throttle body causing the butterfly flap to stick.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is a 2002 3.7 v6
90.000 miles. Did it twice and I found it really weird. I checked the transmission fluid and is perfect.
You think can be the throttle body? Is it easy to clean it? Should I remove it or I can clean it like that? Thanks

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Remove shroud. Also remove battery cables while you do this. Clean the throttle body with some seafoam on cloth or brake cleaner. Make sure to open the throttle to get behind it. Or just take the throttle body off completely. After all is said and done, start it up and don't rev it for a couple minutes. It'll most likely stall out because the computer needs to re learn the desired idle

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. Remove shroud. Also remove battery cables while you do this. Clean the throttle body with some seafoam on cloth or brake cleaner. Make sure to open the throttle to get behind it. Or just take the throttle body off completely. After all is said and done, start it up and don't rev it for a couple minutes. It'll most likely stall out because the computer needs to re learn the desired idle

They make regular throttle body cleaner , much better for using than brake cleaner in this situation.
Like mentioned though I would remove and clean it good front and back.
Wouldn't think this is the problem but more than likely needs done anyways

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make regular throttle body cleaner , much better for using than brake cleaner in this situation.
Like mentioned though I would remove and clean it good front and back.
Wouldn't think this is the problem but more than likely needs done anyways
X2. If you use brake cleaner you might fry a sensor. Same with carb cleaner. Use throttle body cleaner.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2. If you use brake cleaner you might fry a sensor. Same with carb cleaner. Use throttle body cleaner.

Only use brake cleaner if you remove the throttle body

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried really stomping on the brake pedal when you're not moving? Do that and see if it stalls. Could be something with the brake booster.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When is stopped and I press brake hard is fine. As I said it did it twice only so I'll remove the throttle body and clean it. Do I have to re calibrate it pressing the pedal slowly when key is in on position, like I did from Chrysler 300 or just let it run fro couple minutes? Thanks

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No just let it run bud. Should be good. After a couple minutes you should be able to rev it up slowly but make sure it doesn't stall on ya. X2 on the booster^ good suggestion! @eradicator006
Could be a slight vacuum leak there also. Keep us posted

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only use brake cleaner if you remove the throttle body

Never use brake cleaner on anything besides brakes.It will damage plastic parts and sensors very fast.Also will take off any coating applied to throttle bodies.

Use only TB cleaner,regardless if it's on or off the engine.If you have that electronic throttle body you must only use hot water and soap(off the engine).

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never use brake cleaner on anything besides brakes.It will damage plastic parts and sensors very fast.Also will take off any coating applied to throttle bodies.

Use only TB cleaner,regardless if it's on or off the engine.If you have that electronic throttle body you must only use hot water and soap(off the engine).

Brake cleaner will not hurt the kjs throttle body. It does not have a coating on it. I stated use it ONLY if you have it removed. If it was a ford it would be a different story. But you are right it will damage sensors. Other than that, you can in fact use it as a dirty method and it will work. The downside is that you have to remove the throttle body. Mechanics all over from what I see on popular YouTube mechanics use brake cleaner to detect vacuum leaks as well as using break cleaner or propane to rule in a bad fuel pump.

Chlorinated brake cleaner will damage plastic and rubber. Others won't. Just be careful what you use.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake cleaner will not hurt the kjs throttle body. It does not have a coating on it. I stated use it ONLY if you have it removed. If it was a ford it would be a different story. But you are right it will damage sensors. Other than that, you can in fact use it as a dirty method and it will work. The downside is that you have to remove the throttle body. Mechanics all over from what I see on popular YouTube mechanics use brake cleaner to detect vacuum leaks as well as using break cleaner or propane to rule in a bad fuel pump.

Chlorinated brake cleaner will damage plastic and rubber. Others won't. Just be careful what you use.

Youtube mechanics = "backyard hacks"

Sorry but true,brake cleaner is for brakes,throttle body cleaner is for throttle bodies,and carb cleaner is for carbs.

All are different and designed for different materials and types of materials they need to dissolve.If your using anything flammable to detect vacuum leaks your asking for trouble and it is very common for fires and even explosions resulting in very serious harm as the result of using those products in a very unsafe manner.

Been turning wrench's professionally for 20 years,seen what happens when you use the wrong "tool" for the job way to many times.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youtube mechanics = "backyard hacks"

Sorry but true,brake cleaner is for brakes,throttle body cleaner is for throttle bodies,and carb cleaner is for carbs.

All are different and designed for different materials and types of materials they need to dissolve.If your using anything flammable to detect vacuum leaks your asking for trouble and it is very common for fires and even explosions resulting in very serious harm as the result of using those products in a very unsafe manner.

Been turning wrench's professionally for 20 years,seen what happens when you use the wrong "tool" for the job way to many times.

Yeah I don't watch those backyard hack people. Everything has its own application