LED Light Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettyspicer

Reaction score
I am interested in installing an LED Light bar on my 2007 Liberty Sport. However, I don't want it on the roof, but on the bumper between the fog lights. There is 42" from inside edge to inside edge of the fog lights and I have found several lights that will fit inside that area. One of the questions is which is better, curved or straight? The 2nd is how would you attach it to the plastic bumper and would it hold?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What brand/s of off road light bar are you considering?
Other member have drilled holes in bumper skin and mounted round driving lights before.
You may even be able to mount a level light bar, laying on top of bumper, but drill into the the grille for mounts, or fab up brackets that way.
Once you have the light bar, it will easier to get some mounting ideas.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Either will work
Do not fasten to the grill or just through the bumper as it would wiggle like a go go dancer on LSD
There are on either side frame rails that come out far enough to bolt do with washers or spacer between the frame and bumper
You'd have to remove the bumper to do it right but would be good and solid with no dancing going down the road
AT LEAST you are installing it in a good spot ( on the bumper )

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either will work
Do not fasten to the grill or just through the bumper as it would wiggle like a go go dancer on LSD
There are on either side frame rails that come out far enough to bolt do with washers or spacer between the frame and bumper
You'd have to remove the bumper to do it right but would be good and solid with no dancing going down the road
AT LEAST you are installing it in a good spot ( on the bumper )

I am looking to do the same as I got a free LED bar and would like to get it installed as it would be useful when I'm going to my trailer RV which include 10 Miles of gravel backroad. I was hoping I would be able to install them properly without removing bumper but I guess I won't ?

Also was wondering about wiring. I want to do it right first time. Was looking for an independant switch, I don't want it wired with the actual headlights/fogs. I read I need to run it with a relay but do I need to run it through fuse panel as well ?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you don't need a relay and can wire it directly to a switch as long as the electrical requirements of the switch are met.

And you can always use an inline fuse.
*hint: you can get free samples for inline fuse holders.

I have a few lying around for a project I'm working on.

Last edited:

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what about mount points ? As for the wiring, I guess the fuse panel isn't powered when the ignition is off so it will prevent me from draining the battery ;)

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't he need a relay? Mine went out on one of my lightbars and it stopped working
Replaced it and has been fine since
Just get a lightbar wiring harness, they're probably $12-$15 and comes with everything you need to get the job done and you can also cut off the switch that comes with it and put on your own

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything that will draw over 2 amps please use a relay and proper wiring hardness.

Those cheap knockoff LED lightbars you see on fleabay and the like use the reject LED chips and are very inefficient and draw alot of amps for there size with to small of wiring to begin with.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would never run any lights without a relay, watched buddys CJ7 burn to the ground due to direct wiring

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your power wires length is under 8ft I would use 12awg wire, if it's over 8ft I would use 10awg. You'll need a 30a or 40a relay, a 15-20amp fuse with holder, a switch, and about 20ft of 14-16awg wire.

Use the 10 or 12 awg wire to connect direct to your positive battery terminal. As close to the battery as you can splice in the fuse. Connect this positive wire to terminal #30 on the relay.

Using 10 or 12awg wire to connect a good ground and relay terminal #86.

Take 14 to 16awg wire and connect that to a 12v power source, then your switch, and finally into relay terminal #85.

Relay terminal #87 connects to the positive side of your light with 10 or 12awg.

A 50" led light bar uses ~17a. A led light pod uses less than 2a. So depending on your setup you may be able to use thinner wire, weaker relays but I would research it first. Lots of wire gauge, how far you can run it, and how many amps is safe.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bar is 24" long. I put the project on hiatus as I do have some local fishing tournaments to prepare and attend. Project should resume after fishing season (end of October/beginning of November...)