Leak from plug on transfer case, 03 KJ Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not much of a car guy, more due to lack of time than interest.

I've had a very slow leak (a few drips a day) for a while now (don't ask) from an unknown source near the mid-center of my KJ. I originally thought it was coolant (it appeared to be either orange or red--I didn't know that ****** fluid is red), so I had the cooling system pressure tested at a national chain of ripoff artists. They said the leak was coming from an aluminum hose that could only be ordered from the dealer for $350.00, and warned that I should have it fixed right away because it could cause permanent damage, yada yada. I took my Jeep home and have regularly checked the coolant level, which has not changed.

Last weekend, tired of wiping the fluid off my garage floor, I crawled underneath and discovered that the drip appeared to be coming from one of the plugs on the transfer case (which I only identified this morning after watching a YouTube video on changing the fluid in the transfer case). I don't recall if it was the fill plug or the drain plug, but I THINK it was the fill plug.

This weekend, thanks to the first snow storm of the year, I engaged the 4-wheel drive for the first time in months and was greeted by a lovely banging sound from the front end. I promptly disengaged the 4-wheel drive and the banging stopped.

I'm now convinced that my transfer case has been leaking, and that it could very well be low on fluid. I'm wondering if the banging could be the result of that low fluid condition. I'm planning to get some ATF+4 today and drain/fill the case. My questions are:

1) could a low fluid level in the transfer case cause banging in 4-wheel drive?

2) do the plugs on transfer cases sometime leak for simple reasons (loose, cracked)?

I know that draining/filling the case this afternoon may well answer these questions, but I'm currently stressing at the idea of donating $$$ to the mechanic (I now use an independent shop) two weeks before Christmas.

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
if its leaking from the top of the two plugs then it is the fill plug. could be loose or something but it shouldnt really leak from there either way. you only fill the fluid up to the bottom of that plug so if its been getting overfilled you could have a problem. the only way it would overfill by itself is leaking seals where the transmission and transfer case mate.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that the drain/fill plugs are leaking. The most likely source of the leak is a bad seal where the driveshafts enter the transfer case (check the rear seal first) or worst case scenario a crack in the case itself.

Low fluid shouldn't cause a "banging noise in 4-wheel drive". It will however cause a whining noise.
Likely you have a second problem, failing driveshaft u-joints or CV joints in the front axles.

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
if you are uncertain where it is coming from it would be best to post a pic to easily point out where it appears to be coming from

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaking fill/drian plugs on t-cases are actually common after a few drain/refills,it does happen and the best way to fix is........................

You must be registered for see images

But like stated make sure it's not coming from the t-case/trans adapter,then the t-case and/or trans output seal needs replacement,just doing both is the best bet and fairly easy to do.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm done relying on my memory. The transfer case clearly isn't leaking from either of the plugs. Could this be a seal issue?

You must be registered for see images attach

As for the clunking, I took a good look at the boot on the CV joint transfer end of the front drive shaft and it's toast.

I'm not afraid to take a shot at doing this repair myself. Looks like I don't have a choice.

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
if you want to try and do the driveshaft i would say go ahead, its especially easy since you have a how-to that gives you the step by step. however, the tcase leak is from the tail housing. the average joe could probably do it with a good set of instructions but you will need snap ring and lock ring pliers, maybe one or two more tools that people might not have. its kind of tedious if you havent gotten into that extent of work before and may be best to let a mechanic do it.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm working on the front drive shaft. I got all six bolts out (which wasn't easy with the Jeep on the ground). Now I'm trying to get the drive shaft out, but it doesn't want to budge. Any suggestions? Do I need to get it up in the air to take pressure off the wheels?

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
shouldnt need it off the ground. once you have both sides loose you will probably need to get a screw driver between the driveshaft flange and tcase flange, then also at the front diff. i believe i used a screw driver as a punch. put the end on a lip and hit it with a hammer to separate.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm working on the front drive shaft. I got all six bolts out (which wasn't easy with the Jeep on the ground). Now I'm trying to get the drive shaft out, but it doesn't want to budge. Any suggestions? Do I need to get it up in the air to take pressure off the wheels?

Youve got to unbolt it both at the tcase AND the front diff. After that, do what dirtykk said..

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youve got to unbolt it both at the tcase AND the front diff. After that, do what dirtykk said..

Good catch, but I meant to say that I had all 12 bolts out. I figured out that it needed to be lifted up on the t-case side first. Once it was above the yoke, it was pretty simple to persuade out on the diff end. Now I need to order the new CV joint for the t-case end. The boot on the diff end still looks good.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it weird that the Jeep seems to ride a little more smoothly now that the front drive shaft is out? Maybe it's because that joint was so close to failing that it was shaking things up.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found my Tcase fill plug was loose just this weekend while it was up on the hoist putting on new tires.
It was screwed out quite a ways. Gonna have to do the teflon tape thing too this week. Thanks for the tip TJKJ

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it weird that the Jeep seems to ride a little more smoothly now that the front drive shaft is out? Maybe it's because that joint was so close to failing that it was shaking things up.

Yes. Mine did the same thing before I removed it to be replaced. And once it's fixed and bolted back into place, it feels like you're driving a new jeep. :)

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I cleaned up my transfer case and then changed the fluid (new ATF+4, of course). I took it for a little test drive, and then snapped this pic. You can clearly see a drip of fresh red fluid leaking out from under the output horn. It's definitely not coming from the output seal. Is there a gasket or some other kind of under there that can be replaced?