LBJ Failure - Recomendations for Possible Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep details
2004 with 67,2xx miles as of 2/18
Rusty Coil Lift and REVO 265/70 tires (since 41k)

In november I had an alignment done (at ~63k miles) at a local shop (dealers "local" to me are not convenient). I drove the jeep ~4 times before on 1/7 I was able to take the jeep back to the tire place because I started to hear popping from the front driverside suspension. I dont drive the jeep much as my wife and I work at the same place and commute together. The day I brought the car to the local shop I couldnt make the suspension pop or anything, I told them I was concerned about the ball joints and was told they were fine and it was likely I was hitting the turn stop which was making the noise (I didnt believe them, but I'm no expert...). Since that visit I've driven the jeep no more than a dozen times (roughly 60 miles round trip to and from work), and one trip to RI (roughly 800 miles total) just last weekend (drove home from RI in the big snow storm last weekend -- half of the drive was complete white out).
Today my wife took the car to clean out her aunt's apartment as she moved. I got a call from her, she said the LBJ broke and the jeep needed a tow. Apparently she was pulling from a parking spot when the ball joint gave way leaving the jeep strainded in the middle of the road.

We finally got over to the dealership where the jeep was towed (this is ~1 hour from my house), looking under it the folk which the suspension mounts to, which strattles the axle is resting on the inner CV leaving the lower control arm and ball joint less than an inch off the ground. It appears the tire isnt rubbing on the fender, though it must have when being loaded/unloaded from the tow truch as the fender liner is popped off.

Considering the milage of my jeep, the year and the mods what do people think my chances of getting this covered (and maybe even getting stuff like my tow reimbursed) are??

If jeep doesnt cover this I think I've got enough on the local shop where they should cover it as they told me 3 times (once for alignment, once for state inspection, and once when I brought it in about the popping) that everything was ok.

(x-posting this to LOST)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Since this is a very well known problem with the KJ I think your chances are good. Did you get the 7/70 warranty?

Dont go in screaming at your dealer, even though you're pretty ticked off that this happened and nobody listened to you. See what kinda deal they offer to work this out with you. If it's not to your satisfaction, then you begin to get angry with them. If I were you, before you go and talk to them, I would go onto NHTSA's website, and print out some of the numerous complaints that have been filed with them for this same issue. There are complaints pretty much from 02-04 for the same issue. I believe no matter what the year KJ, they're all prone to snapping ball joints, untill Chrysler comes up with a REAL solution. This should be a free fix to you, by the dealer, and they should give you a rental for the time it's layed up.

Another alternative is, do you have anything in writing from the other shop you went to stating that they said your LBJ's were in perfect working order? If you do, thats GREAT! I probably wouldn't have that particular shop do ANY more work on my Jeep after an incident like this. What you could do is (i'd consult a lawyer first), have your Jeep dealer fix it, maybe go ahead and pay for the charges up front, that way you have your Jeep and its back on the road, and it was fixed by a place thats supposed to know Jeeps, and then go after the other shop you went to for reimbursement of the repairs AND the cost of getting it towed to the dealer (hang on to that receipt!).

Those are just a couple of suggestions after reading your post. I hate that it broke on ya, but you and your wife are VERY lucky that thing didn't let go while she was driving down the highway, or at any other considerable speed.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update

Reginal office has denied any claim (based on milage and lack of recall for the '04s).
Dealer will not do anything as the reginal office has made a decision. Called Jeep USA (customer service numbre off their website) and they tell me the reginal office has made a decision and I have to deal with them. Neiter the Jeep USA or dealer will give me the reginal office information (said to be in New York City area), I've asked twice to have then call me without any responce.

Damage includes driverside lower ball joint, fender flair clasps and driverside inner cv boot at a cost of $390+tax.

](*,)

anyone have the reginal office information??

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daimler Chrysler Motors Corporation Customer Center
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004
Phone: 800-992-1997

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need the reginal office based out of New York City area, not the US HQ. I've already tried them and have been told the only person I will get anywhere with is the reginal advisor and he wont call me (told the dealer he doesnt contact people). And the dealer and the US customer service will not give me his contact info.

](*,)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
didnt find a phone number, but I did find an address....
dunno if thats the regional office you want or not..i'll keep digging and see what else I can find...

DAIMLER CHRYSLER CORP.
Chrysler Relations Manager
Northeast Business Centr
108 Route 303
Tappan NY 10983

I got it from this site....

http://www.nh.gov/safety/dmv/lemonlaw/zone.html

edit....upon furthing snooping around, i got nowhere.
i guess the best thing u can do is call like 4-1-1 or something. and if anything file a complaint w/ the nhtsa or some other place.....

i'll keep on looking...(noticed ur post in JU went unnoticed..wtf)

merchjo

Reaction score
I have a friend who works for Jeep. I will ask him for you.

merchjo

Reaction score
here is what he said

"get me the specifics on the jeep.. year,mileage and dealer he went
to... I will forward the info to the regional mgr up here.. I don't know if
the same however... I do know that its not policy to give out the telephone
#s of these people.. They in my experience, will always get back to you..."

Let me know if you want me to send the details

Members online

No members online now.