Knocking, power loss, flashing CEL...f**k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've found that there are people in this world who still believe that once ANY vehicle hits 100k it's either on borrowed time or it's time to trade it in. Supposedly at that point, it is worthless and will die sooner or later. My aunt used to think this way.... until her Durango took her past 100k...and 120k...and 150k.... and 180k... and now it's getting VERY close to 200k and the original A/C even still works to this day!

As durable as engines and transmissions are these days I cannot believe there are people who continue to think this way.

In addition, while we're talking about engines "on borrowed time" I have another story for ya... got ANOTHER aunt with an '01 2.7L Dodge Stratus. You know, the engine that's been "known" to blow up with as little as 50k miles. Hers has 130k on it and guess what? ALL she will tell you is this....

"It's been a good car. My best car ever."

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I find the comment about a KJ engine with more than 100000 miles living on
borrowed time to be rather comical.
Sure, maybe if you rat bag the engine or don't check the fluids on a regular
basis...
Our 2004 as of today has 195961.9 Kilometers/121765.08 miles on the odometer
and the only engine component replaced to date is a water pump.
I see absolutely no reason as to why this 3.7 litre will not make it to 200000
miles with regular scheduled maintenance.
The same as the comments that post 2002 and early 2003 transmissions not being
as reliable!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I wish Phil (Moladoguy) still came around. He's got to have about 130k? on his KJ by now. I know for a fact that Tommmmmmudddddd is past that by now on his original "piece-of-crap" 42RLE!!

uctke283

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just under 139,000 on my '02. The only thing I have done is change belt, fluids regularly, and Spark plugs. The Jeep is still on original radiator, water pump, and actually I am still on original shocks and springs, although those are all getting replaced in the next month.....She Still runs great.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez that's some big numbers for an Olds SB.
You use a diesel block?
Nope,just the OEM 350 Rocket block that came in my '75 Cutlass,added some Indy alloy heads for the build.Funny thing is the engine had 278,000miles on it when I built it,was 100% stock and could burn rubber for 1/4 mile easily,one wheel wonder, still before ripping it apart,all 140hp.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Green?? Why do you have that crap in your KJ?? HOAT only...

X2. Change that ASAP or there's a radiator swap in your future.
You do know that HOAT is based off of Ethylene Glycol,but Ethylene Glycol is very hard to find at most auto parts stores,the "green" stuff they mostly sell now is a Dexacool clone and should not be used in a Jeep.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOAT Coolant is easy to find around here... Napa and their Zerex which is made by Valvoline, and Advance Auto Parts has some now too i noticed the other day. It's in a blue jug that just says what it is and has the Advanced name and logo on it, its kinda pink in color, not sure who manufactures it for them though.

Either way keep the Dex crap out!

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back. Ended up putting a used engine with 43k miles in it. New clutch.

Engine guy said my old one had bad rings, blown head gasket and the crank was scored badly, also the timing chain(s) were ready to give up.

New motor and clutch are great, it's like having a brand new Jeep. Only thing is the pulleys seems to be squealing a bit...have to keep an eye on it. Not sure if it's the tensioner or something else.

Either way...back on the road. Now it's time for some outer tie rods and she'll be good to go!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back. Ended up putting a used engine with 43k miles in it. New clutch.

Engine guy said my old one had bad rings, blown head gasket and the crank was scored badly, also the timing chain(s) were ready to give up.

New motor and clutch are great, it's like having a brand new Jeep. Only thing is the pulleys seems to be squealing a bit...have to keep an eye on it. Not sure if it's the tensioner or something else.

Either way...back on the road. Now it's time for some outer tie rods and she'll be good to go!
Might be a good thing to change the oil more often then you used to,all those things that went wrong could be direct effect of your crazy extended oil drains.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be a good thing to change the oil more often then you used to,all those things that went wrong could be direct effect of your crazy extended oil drains.

I knew you couldn't let this saga end without saying something about that. :)

I plan to decrease my oil change intervals, fear not.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Got an idea here....

Try a 10mm shorter belt. I replaced mine with one from NAPA, the one they listed was 25mm (1")longer than the one I removed. It squealed like the dude that found Ned Beatty cute. I returned it, put on a smaller one and the squeal went away. The belt they sold me was 87.6" long, the replacement DAYCO that fit right is 86.5", PN 5060865, 3.7 w/ac or equivelant 6PK2195.

Last edited: