Knocking, power loss, flashing CEL...f**k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it finally happened...not sure what but it's something bad. Drove the Jeep in to work last night and it was perfectly fine. Started it this morning to go home and it was knocking pretty bad, and the CEL was on.

Started driving it home, noticed a distinct lack of power and the knocking got louder with engine speed. Engine was rough to the point of feeling like I had a flat tire. Got up to 3000 RPMs and the engine seemed to just cut out altogether. CEL started flashing. Parked Jeep.

No previous problems, ran like a top on the way in to work. Oil changed about 1500 miles ago. No leaks, oil level normal, no milkshake issues. No exhaust smoke. Haven't had a chance to scan the codes yet, but in the absence of that data, what does this sound like to you guys?

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
gonna be absolutely random here and say check your spark plugs.. lol, my check engine light flashed at me and it ran like complete crap, pretty much how you're describing it now, and I changed my spark plugs and voila- problem solved. only mine wasn't knocking, so I'm not sure if that's your problem.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea as of right now (just woke up) I am going with the glass half full approach and thinking it's a bad coil pack or plug issue. Still haven't scanned it yet, will get into it tomorrow when I get home from work.

I certainly hope I didn't "budketize" my engine.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
No doubt... you would be the first one since the coining of the phrase itself! Well 'cept for the "Original" :D

good hunting!

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck - hope it's not budketized!!

I recently had an issue where it started running like crap, I would not have described it as knocking though, more like "chugging", along with lack of power, and CEL. I parked it and checked for codes.

Code was P0303 if I recall correctly - Misfire on Cylinder 3. Talked to my mechanic, decided to try swapping coil packs first, so I swapped 1 and 3.

The problem went away, hasn't been back for about 2 weeks.

If you are hearing "knocking" noises though it could be more serious!

Keep us posted!

Dave

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
budketized has a different meaning, i think it was defined as lack of oil and coolant... LOL

Simple things first, get codes, replaced plugs, clean fuel system, basically find out whats really going on.

Knocking or Pinging, if it was misfiring that could cause a hell of a racket when trying to accelerate.

And its not like it happened slowly over time, you said you started it up and it was running like crap right away, but i assume it was running good when you shut it off.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just food for thought
I had a similar issue with my '09 F250 gasser at only 21K
as of now it has been at the dealer for 2 weeks
they have changed
air filter and fuel filter ,come on really I know this was not the problem
then they changed the fuel pump and both cats
I get it back Monday pm so we shall see

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And its not like it happened slowly over time, you said you started it up and it was running like crap right away, but i assume it was running good when you shut it off.

Correct. Came right out of left field. Ran perfect one day, 8 hours later this. That's why I'm really thinking it's got to be some kind of electrical component or sensor...normally when an engine gets "budketized" it's a slow process of deterioration. Who knows.

Gotta get the scanner plugged into it in the morning and go from there. Thanks for the input so far fellas.

Boiler

Reaction score
"drove fine this morning" doesn't necessarily mean much though. I had a taurus that had no knock at all. It ran fine right up to the minute that it siezed up. Oil pump went out and the engine light came on about 1/4 mile from an off ramp. It was dead before I got to it. Had enough speed to coast to the ramp and down it and off the side of the road. Dead as a doornail and needed replacing.

Not saying it couldn't be other things. Just illustrating how sometimes these things suprise you.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"drove fine this morning" doesn't necessarily mean much though. I had a taurus that had no knock at all. It ran fine right up to the minute that it siezed up. Oil pump went out and the engine light came on about 1/4 mile from an off ramp. It was dead before I got to it. Had enough speed to coast to the ramp and down it and off the side of the road. Dead as a doornail and needed replacing.

Not saying it couldn't be other things. Just illustrating how sometimes these things suprise you.

Good point, thanks for the reminder. LOL.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that some kj's have been know to have problems with valve springs breaking. Which in turn could lead to sucking a valve into the cylinder! Runs fine to the store one min. Runs like crap the next. Unexpectedly. Not saying this is the case, just something else to think about.

Last edited:

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the F...got home from work and planned to fire it up and scan the codes. Well, it started just fine and it was -9 degrees farenheit last night. Good sign.

For some reason, the CEL didn't come on! It was still sputtering and a bit rough, the knock seemed much less pronounced, almost inaudible. Destinct backfiring which wasn't there two days ago.

I put the scanner on it anyway and there was nothing stored. It's in my heated garage now, hoping to get it warmed up and try to get that CEL to come back on again. Until then I have no idea where to start!

Geez.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone dump something in your gas tank?
You can have a backfire if there's a vacuum leak. Maybe a gasket let go? Intake or otherwise? Where's tjkj?

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Malicious gas tank additions? Probably not I would think...who knows.

I suppose a gasket leak is a possibility...

Budke...stop it you're scaring the bejesus out of me! J/K I appreciate the input.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Budke.

So I let it warm up in the garage. Started it up, still no CEL. Let it run for a few minutes waiting for the CEL to come on. It never did. Got almost up to normal operating temp. Knocking came back, along with a distinct singular "CLACK" every 3 seconds or so regardless of engine speed. Figuring that's a broken something in the engine block somewhere (those are technical terms). Said to self "Self, that's not good".

Pulled the dipstick and found milkshake. Noticed my coolant reservoir is almost dry. Still no CEL. Swore profusely, parked it, came inside to vent here.

So what are rebuilds going for these days?

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Budke.

So I let it warm up in the garage. Started it up, still no CEL. Let it run for a few minutes waiting for the CEL to come on. It never did. Got almost up to normal operating temp. Knocking came back, along with a distinct singular "CLACK" every 3 seconds or so regardless of engine speed. Figuring that's a broken something in the engine block somewhere (those are technical terms). Said to self "Self, that's not good".

Pulled the dipstick and found milkshake. Noticed my coolant reservoir is almost dry. Still no CEL. Swore profusely, parked it, came inside to vent here.

So what are rebuilds going for these days?

Aaah, that doesn't sound good... sorry to hear!