KK smoother ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeep1350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want more smoother ride out my KK any ideas how do this let me know thanks?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Higher profile tires (especially if you have 18" or 19" wheels) by replacing wheels/tires.
Check the PSI, and lower them to 28 to 30 psi

There really isn't much else you can do, you can also consider replacing shocks with a bit softer ones.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Higher profile tires (especially if you have 18" or 19" wheels) by replacing wheels/tires.
Check the PSI, and lower them to 28 to 30 psi

There really isn't much else you can do, you can also consider replacing shocks with a bit softer ones.
Lowering tire PSI will lead to outside edge tire wear and can cause blowouts.Softer shocks will cause premature spring damage and sagging.

Basically if you want it to ride like a caddy,get a caddy.It's a Jeep and should ride like a Jeep,you can make it ride firmer and be more stable but trying to make it ride softer can/will increase rollovers and unsafe stability.

jeep1350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheels

my kk has stock 16" wheels tire size 225/75/16 I was thinking about going up to 18" wheels tire size 235/60/18 would get good handeling out that or about same as stock 225/75/16?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
my kk has stock 16" wheels tire size 225/75/16 I was thinking about going up to 18" wheels tire size 235/60/18 would get good handeling out that or about same as stock 225/75/16?

If it's ride quality you're looking for, that won't help. It might even make it worse. I don't know about the handling aspect of it though.:D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
18" will not make it any smoother, there is less rubber to flex.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^Hyed is right. Leave your rim size alone. The bigger the rim, the less sidewall to flex. The only thing you might consider, is going up one tire size. You said you have 225/75/16 stock tires. If you went to a 235/75/16 you would have a little bigger footprint and sidewall.

It sounds like you should have bought a car and not a Jeep if you were so concerned about a smoother ride. As such though, you bought one of the smoother riding Jeeps. Go and drive a TJ and you will see what I mean.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if it is available for the KK, but I believe somebody has put Air Ride on their KJ.

I had this on a Buick, and the ride was incredible.

I say if you can find a way to put Air bags on a KK, go for it!

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The smoothest ride you get us with a taller sidewall on a tire, and full tread. If 15" rims fit, then you can use a huge tire. Going above 16" won't smooth the ride, for as larger as the rim gets, the smaller the sidewall on the tire gets. You can use the MINIMUM air pressure, and the rear tires can usually be 2lbs lower, as the weight is less back there. I also run 225/75/16, that's what it came with from the dealer. It's a jeep for a reason, and smooth ride is not one of them.