KK Rock Sliders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi KK owners,

I have had a set of Rock Lizard Fab rock sliders on my KK since 2012. They have been awesome both off road and in Philly where dings and dents from other vehicles making contact are common.

I have repainted my sliders twice and powder coated them once. While the sections that show are still looking nice, there is significant structural rust on the 1x1” tube that bolts to the pinch weld on the body. This part holds the outer part of the slider up under doors.

I recently visited a respected 4x4 fabrication shop in my area and was told that repairing them will be as much or even more expensive than buying new. I was surprised that buying new was an option, as Rock Lizard is no longer in business and AtTheHelm has discontinued their KK rock sliders. JCR also appears to have made KK sliders at one time but they are now discontinued. A quick google search led me to Rocky Road Outfitters’ KK sliders, which look pretty similar to what I have, with the exception of less bracing between the slider and the “frame rail” on the unibody.

RRO slider link:

RRO slider pic from their website. Note only 2 braces to the frame rail area.
You must be registered for see images attach

My Rock Lizard sliders before powder coating the last time. Note 4 braces to the frame rail area.

I know that RRO-branded upper control arms have fitment issues sometimes and I don't want sliders that don’t fit properly. I also don’t want the mounting to be weak. However, they do have a lifetime warranty. Has anyone had experience with RRO rock sliders who is willing to share what they think? What other fabrication companies out there (if any) make KK sliders?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have personally seen RRO sliders bend very easily before on a KJ
Same spot I had just gone across and when that guy followed my exact tracks his bend easily have way through
I only had a couple of scratches
I would find a really good fab shop to replicate the Rock Lizard ones
but that is just me

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this. I have been leaning in this direction after talking to my wife too. She appreciates the sliders while driving in the city too, and doesn’t want something weak.

The really good fab shop in my area is where I brought it originally, and was told it would be probably $800+ to fix. This seemed high to me initially because the 1x1 square tube is the only real issue. But I know good fabrication is not cheap, and with 2 hours per side plus materials, this price is actually fair. They are also pretty slammed with business building off road rigs, and this would be a small job for them and maybe not the best use of their time. I’d be open to traveling further afield to get this done, but need to do some research into who can do a good job. I am 99% sure these can be repaired and would not have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Once I have them removed from the Jeep I will take some photos and will know for sure if they are done.

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got them off this afternoon and took some photos. The 1x1” tube that bolts to the body seam is trashed but no rust anywhere else. These Rock Lizard sliders are much stronger than RRO’s. Would like repaired if the price is not too much higher. I also would rather support a local shop than order online from a corporation.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Got an angle grinder? Cut the old 1x1 bar welds and remove the old tubing. Grind the surfaces clean to prep for welding. Get some new non-galvanized tubing cut to match the old ones and visit a local welder to put them back on with your pictures to show where they were.

Undercoat the heck out of them before reinstalling!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes would not much time to cut them off then to reweld new bar on would be less than an hours time

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Yes would not much time to cut them off then to reweld new bar on would be less than an hours time

Rough guesstimate would be $50-75 for tubing and $100-200 for a back room welder to put them on. 16” total mig weld. I could do that with my little home welder with a cold beer in one hand. :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad not around any pipeliners
When they were installing gas lines from all the oil wells they drilled around here, I needed a couple of things welded
Mine wasnt hooked up, got one of them I met at the gas station and a six pack for about 20 minutes of burn time
came right to the shop with his truck

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am half entertaining the idea of learning how to weld myself. For $850-ish which is about what I was quoted to fix the sliders, I could pick up a $550 mig welder from Harbor Freight, a welding helmet, gloves, the rest of the PPE I need, and some flux core welding wire…

Edit: Joy has been telling me I need to learn how to weld for over 2 years. She says this would be easy if I had listened back then. LOL

Last edited:

sleazy rider

Reaction score
MIG was the easiest to learn control. I struggled with aluminum and TIG for three weeks and like a switch flipped, it just worked. Oxy/acetylene was fun. Arc was stupid easy with the stuff they had us doing in class.

Many community colleges offer a basic welding class.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
MIG was the easiest to learn control. I struggled with aluminum and TIG for three weeks and like a switch flipped, it just worked. Oxy/acetylene was fun. Arc was stupid easy with the stuff they had us doing in class.

Many community colleges offer a basic welding class.
Found one near me. 300 hours of instruction, 4 days a week, $6000 tuition. Pretty comprehensive. Would be good to learn the skill. Jeep bumpers would be on the docket.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Found one near me. 300 hours of instruction, 4 days a week, $6000 tuition. Pretty comprehensive. Would be good to learn the skill. Jeep bumpers would be on the docket.
And you can do them as one of your class projects. Honestly, take just the intro to MIG, maybe the intermediate MIG class and you’ll be fine as long as you stay in practice.

Of course, using their Miller welding equipment will ruin your desire for any cheap welders. lol

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIG is fairly easy to learn BUT don't be tempted by a cheap no gas machine, a proper gas machine is so much better to use, don't be put off with a bit of age, mine was made in 1983! if you are a cheapskate like me get friendly with a pub (Bar?) Owner and buy pure CO2 cylinders through them, not quite as nice as mixed gas but a fraction of the price, well it is here but we seem to get hammered for everything.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am half entertaining the idea of learning how to weld myself. For $850-ish which is about what I was quoted to fix the sliders, I could pick up a $550 mig welder from Harbor Freight, a welding helmet, gloves, the rest of the PPE I need, and some flux core welding wire…

Edit: Joy has been telling me I need to learn how to weld for over 2 years. She says this would be easy if I had listened back then. LOL

I say go for it for sure!

Look into mig, and arc/stick, even 120v machines can do around 3/16" in a single pass. If you don't know how often you'll use it, you'd be surprised the projects you can get done with 120v (then if you upgrade the mini one can come along the offroad trailer for field repairs, lol).

Anything you end up with, jody at weldingtipsandtricks has excellent information (has youtube videos/website). He's welded for nuclear plants, aerospace, pipe and more. I loved watching weld.com's stuff too, but once bob moffatt (I think that was his name) left it just didn't feel the same for me.

Can't wait for some future pics of those rock sliders all fixed back up!

sleazy rider

Reaction score
MIG is fairly easy to learn BUT don't be tempted by a cheap no gas machine, a proper gas machine is so much better to use, don't be put off with a bit of age, mine was made in 1983! if you are a cheapskate like me get friendly with a pub (Bar?) Owner and buy pure CO2 cylinders through them, not quite as nice as mixed gas but a fraction of the price, well it is here but we seem to get hammered for everything.
My 20# mix bottle full ran me $90 IIRC. Been a while. Fills are cheap.

AFT2008KK

Reaction score
Been lurking and following. If you do rebuild yourself, post some updates. Love to see how the sliders work out. I’d love to get some built here in socal. But other projects come 1st on Old Blue.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been lurking and following. If you do rebuild yourself, post some updates. Love to see how the sliders work out. I’d love to get some built here in socal. But other projects come 1st on Old Blue.
Thanks for following! Right now the project is on hold for lack of funding. :) The sliders are enjoying a vacation on the back deck. The Jeep just feels more vulnerable in city traffic without them!

I will definitely come back here to update what happens next.

Latest posts

Members online