KK Gas Tank Skid Plate question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomasX

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what it takes to remove gas tank skid plate on KK?

Is it actually holding the tank in place or is it installed independently over it?

I was searching the web but I couldn't find anything. I have found installation instructions for KJ gas tank skid plate but nothing for KK.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Boblemoche

Reaction score
the factory gas tank skid is just a plate welded on the gas tank holder and come pre assembled so you have to remove the old one to replace it and its a pita because nothig else is holding the tank in place. If you want to install it your self empty your tank before

TomasX

Reaction score
the factory gas tank skid is just a plate welded on the gas tank holder and come pre assembled so you have to remove the old one to replace it and its a pita because nothig else is holding the tank in place. If you want to install it your self empty your tank before

That's what I was worried about. I really wanted to take it down and see if the trail damage it took on my recent trip to southern Utah (Dollhouse Road in Maze, Elephant Hill and Bobby's Hole in Needles) was causing the rattle I am experiencing when taking sharp right turn or breaking. I guess I'll have to take it to the shop :(.

I see you have custom skids, where did you get them, how good are they?

Thanks

Boblemoche

Reaction score
I see you have custom skids, where did you get them, how good are they?

i made them my self with 3/16 steel plates. They are a lot stronger than the paper thin factory stuff. they can actually take a hit without being destroyed :D

http://www.skidplates.com/Products_KJ.asp these are about the same strength than mine but I dont know if the diff, ****** or Tcase fit. The gas tank will not fit

MNKK

Reaction score
Hi, New here, but I have been on L.O.S.T. for some time now.
I don't know if I was confused by your posts, or if I am right, but this paper thin skid plate you speak of is not the "Skid Plate". I got my KK a couple of months ago, and did end up buying the skid plates through the mail.
The paper thin one you speak of, seems to me, that it is just the support that holds our gas tanks on the vehicle. Yes, if you unbolt this, it will drop the tank. But, no, it is not the skid plate. I had to have the carrier removed to have the gas tank skid installed. I was going to post pics of the skid installed, but it appears I do not have any of the Gas tank skid. The pic I do have is just before that one went on. It still has the real thin tank support on it.
You must be registered for see images

TomasX

Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help but I know how gas tank skid plate looks like because I do have one :).

I thought that skid plates came in black only :confused:.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help but I know how gas tank skid plate looks like because I do have one :).

I thought that skid plates came in black only :confused:.
I'm guessing he painted his ;) Hmmm, t-case, trans and engine skids look like they are the same as the '05-'07 KJ? Guess that kinda makes sense if they didn't change the undercarriage to drastically.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing he painted his ;) Hmmm, t-case, trans and engine skids look like they are the same as the '05-'07 KJ? Guess that kinda makes sense if they didn't change the undercarriage to drastically.

Thats b/c all they did was stick a new dash and changed some body panels on a kj to make a kk. :)

ohh, and they changed the suspension some and put the gas tank in the same place as a corolla but hey, its new from the ground up. :D

Our wk doesnt have skid plates and its got that paper thin skin over the gas tank. Its ok for mild things flying up off the road but Ive not thought of it as being a skid plate.

greenjeepster

Reaction score
Thats b/c all they did was stick a new dash and changed some body panels on a kj to make a kk. :)

ohh, and they changed the suspension some and put the gas tank in the same place as a corolla but hey, its new from the ground up. :D

not quite.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
greenjeepsterQuote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeepster

ohh, and they changed the suspension some and put the gas tank in the same place as a corolla but hey, its new from the ground up. (biggrin)

not quite.
Actually he is right,the KK is very similar to the KJ,the basic unibody is the same between the KK and the KJ.

greenjeepster

Reaction score
Actually he is right,the KK is very similar to the KJ,the basic unibody is the same between the KK and the KJ.

your right but it is more than just "some" body panels and a new dash, i didn't want new owners to be misinformed