Kj sport, renegade or limited?? 2.4 or 3.7??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP... In my humble opinion if yours is going to be your daily driver make dependability your highest priority. You may find one with all the options you'd like, but if it's be beat to death those won't matter when you're trying to get it started and just get to work.

That's just the old man/grandpa coming out in me. :eek:

PS: I like those Rene lightbars ok, but can live without 'em. The flares I don't care for at all.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP... In my humble opinion if yours is going to be your daily driver make dependability your highest priority. You may find one with all the options you'd like, but if it's be beat to death those won't matter when you're trying to get it started and just get to work.

Of course dependability is all that matters, whatever the model/package is.

But I'm still trying to make my mind between Renegade or Limited..:confused:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Of course dependability is all that matters, whatever the model/package is.

But I'm still trying to make my mind between Renegade or Limited..:confused:

Well you can get Rene's with leather and sunroof, hard to find, but you can...if that's what you want. A lot easier to find a Limited with leather and sunroof.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Renegades also have a heavier frame and so they weigh about 300 pounds more than the next heaviest model...which I assume would be the Limited. My '02 has served me well and is gonna hit 120k next month...as for the other years, I can't say anything from experience, so you'll have to listen to the others =P

Really?
because last I checked the KJ was unibody and has no frame
the reni may have a little more weight do to skids?
yours may weigh more due to beefier trans? (45rfe vs 42rle)
but I will tell you out right you are wrong about the heavier frame

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, back on the rim selection my 05 sales booklet says this...
16" Full face steel wheels...Liberty Sport (Standard)
16" Mechanica Aluminum Rims...Liberty Sport (Optional)
16" Cast Aluminum Pinted Mineral Grey Metallic...Liberty Renegade (Standard)
17" Dakar Aluminum Rims...Liberty Limited (Standard)
17" Oasis Chrome Rims...Liberty Limited (Optional)

ZERODSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now depending on color selection you may not get 3 colors in the renegade lineup but they are all available in the sport and limited trim...

Black...Available in All 3 Trims
Patriot Blue...Available in All 3 Trims
Deep Beryl Green (New Color)...Available in All 3 Trims
Flame Red...Available in Sport and Limited....Not in Renegade though...
Atlantic Blue....Available in Sport and Limited....Not in Renegade though...
Dark Khaki (New Color)...Available in All 3 Trims
Light Khaki...Available in All 3 Trims
Bright Silver...Available in All 3 Trims
Stone White...Available in Sport and Limited....Not in Renegade though...
Mud...Available in All 3 Trims
LOL

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but I will tell you out right you are wrong about the heavier frame

I'll try to find the article I read it in...it was literally years ago so maybe I misunderstood it, but I was pretty sure they mentioned something about the Renegades having something different with the body itself weight-wise--i.e. not the ****** or the skids but if I can't find the article then I can't prove it =P

And my Renegade has leather lined seats, not full leather, but it does have a sunroof.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to find the article I read it in...it was literally years ago so maybe I misunderstood it, but I was pretty sure they mentioned something about the Renegades having something different with the body itself weight-wise--i.e. not the ****** or the skids but if I can't find the article then I can't prove it =P

And my Renegade has leather lined seats, not full leather, but it does have a sunroof.
The Renny's have the same unibody as the rest.The added weight is from the addition of the skids(if that option was selected) and those smash rails they come with(or the running boards).

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, the weight thing is w a y off. Options make a huge difference in weight. I wonder what the sun roof adds, and way up high to help the COG as well. An auto probably outweighs a stick. Power seat motors. ABS crap. It all adds up.

I do not doubt that you read/heard that a renegade has a heavier "frame" even though KJ's do not have frames. It was probably a salesman trying to get you to pay more for the renny. I can tell you that many, many renny owners were told they were paying for a whole new level of awesomeness when they were actually getting soaked for shiny fake bolt heads on the fender flares and tupperware on the roof. :D You can find their posts on the KJ sites about what they "know" about the renny. My wife's sister bought an '05 Renny 1 week after I bought my KJ. You wouldn't believe what the sales weasels told her about the renny... including how awesome the Eagle S/T's were off-road... Wow1.gif

The O.P. seems to have a target picked out and should go for it.

Again, the differences are merely cosmetic due to options packages, individual options, and year-to-year features changes.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.P., that's me:)

Thank you all for your replies. They've been very, very helpful indeed. Now, here's my question:

I have found two nice vehicles, one '04 Renny and a 2.4 manual gearbox '05 Liberty. Their prices are exactly the same. Below are their pics.

I'd actually prefer the Renny. I love the way it looks and functions. On the other hand, here in my country we pay much less tax for a 2.4. Liberty. And because of high fuel prices, the 2.4 lt. may be more suitable for me.

One of the members said, the 2.4 lt.engine is like a "midget" for the KJ.

What do you think? Should I definitely avoid the 2.4.? Can that engine generate sufficient power for the vehicle? Do you expect problems while driving, like when going uphill with A/C on etc?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The top one doesn't look like an 05....
With the 2.4, you won't get really good mileage. The engine will work harder than a 3.7 would, so it'd only be good for another mile or two per gallon. I'd take the Renegade. JMO.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok 2.4 and 3.7 mileage will nearly be the same.. But do you think 2.4 engine will not be sufficient in some conditions?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Ok 2.4 and 3.7 mileage will nearly be the same.. But do you think 2.4 engine will not be sufficient in some conditions?

That's subjective. I was relatively surprised with the power from the 2.4L in the KJ when I drove it one day. But I'd most certainly go for the 3.7L.... but I understand what you mean by taxes.

And some countries / even states in the US title cars by build date rather than model year. So that just might be an "'05".

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I would go for the 3.7 litre V6 over the 2.4 litre four ******!
More power and pretty much the same fuel economy.
The Renegade is also a higher spec model than the 2.4 litre
pictured.
The top picture looks like a 2002 thru 2004 with the fog lights
fitted in the bumper as opposed to an '05 with the fog lights
fitted in the grille.