Kj sport, renegade or limited?? 2.4 or 3.7??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17" was part of a option package,was not standard on any limited.I've worked on many '05+ Limited KJ's without the 17" rims,none were CRD's either.

I have in my hands a 06 Jeep Liberty Brochure and 16" rims are standard on the Sport and Renegade models. 17" rims are standard on Limited.

The 17" cast-aluminum rim is standard, the 17" chrome-clad rim is optional. Standard tire size on the Limited is P235/65R17

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Really? All 05+ Limited non CRD's that I've seen have 17's. Boiler has an 05 Brochure, I have an 06 and 07. 17's were standard I believe.

EDIT: Rage beat me too it...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true. My, at the time, 98k libby was parked next to an '05 renny and still sat higher than it. And that's with some heavy off-roading on my springs too.

So, HA!
'02s FTW
FACTORY SKID PLATE!! ONLY YEAR!!!

Less QQ more PewPew!!!

lol3.gif

But mine runs and drives... drive.gif

Sorry had to say it!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? All 05+ Limited non CRD's that I've seen have 17's. Boiler has an 05 Brochure, I have an 06 and 07. 17's were standard I believe.

EDIT: Rage beat me too it...
You can delete the 17" rims if you order it.Like I said the 17" rims are just part of a package.There was a member on LOST that had a '07 Limited and it had 16" rims,bought it that way,didn't have to order it either.Basically just like the Renny light bar was not standard on a Renny either,it could be had either with or without,more so in '05+ KJ's though.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You can delete the 17" rims if you order it.Like I said the 17" rims are just part of a package.There was a member on LOST that had a '07 Limited and it had 16" rims,bought it that way,didn't have to order it either.Basically just like the Renny light bar was not standard on a Renny either,it could be had either with or without,more so in '05+ KJ's though.
The Lightbar was still standard on '05+ Renegades. There was a Lightbar DELETE option though.

Basically an option to NOT have it. Well at least that's the way it worked with my sister's '05. Not sure about '06s.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Most of that is not always true.

The KJ never got the 6 speed manual till '06,had a 5 speed for '02-'05.17" rims is not standard for a limited(I know I have a Limited,it came with 16" rims) or the mini overhaed consule.And all Renegades did not come with all the skid plates and even a lightbar.ABS did not become standard until '06+,was a option on the '02-'05's.

The few knowns are you can not get a manual trans with the 242 t-case, and the trash loc LSD was a option for any KJ and was never a standard option,no LSD for '06+ KJ's either(they get the evil ESP).Everything eles in the above was a option for any model besides the CRD stuff.'02 and early '03's got the 45RFE auto trans,mid-'03+ got the 42RLE auto trans.If the KJ was built before April 12th 2002 is sits 3/4" higher then the newer ones.

They '05 most definitely got the NSG370 6-speed and not the 5-speed.

The list posted is for standard features on whatever trim level. Options abounded and many combo's are out there. I'll bet that only a small percentage of KJ's were stick and most had the auto option. Dealer had to go about 300 miles to get the 3.7/6spd combo that I wanted on my Sport. Most Renegades that I saw new were fairly tarted up by the dealers when they ordered them in.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a 02-04 renny without a light bar. Thats what makes the renny a renny IMHO.. An 05+ renny kj without that light bar is useless..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I have never seen a 02-04 renny without a light bar. Thats what makes the renny a renny IMHO.. An 05+ renny kj without that light bar is useless..

You won't see an '02-'04 Renegade one without the Lightbar. If you do, they must like roof leaks.

While I agree that an '05 Renny KJ without the lightbar is useless, it looks good in its own way I think.

You must be registered for see images

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I think the lightbar looks real good (I may be a bit partial here) but it looks pretty good without it. I really liked the look of the front end of the Rennies and Rocky Mt. Ed. (I think that was the one w/ the rennie front end), light bar or not. That being said I paid a considerable amount extra to have a Renegade, I could have got a similar Limited with more options for less. Used Renegades are pretty scrace around these parts.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Rennie light bars look stupid.

There, ThunderbirdJunkie said it (band)

OP wants a Sport
Patriot blue
2002, so they have an e-brake that WORKS
45RFE
8.25 rearend
NP231
Patriot blue
Some rattly POS Aussie locker
Some trail rash dings and dents
Patriot blue
a driver's window that rattles from 100,000 miles of smoker's window
Patriot blue
Some faded fender flares
Patriot blue
cloth seats
a *******' front driveshaft
Patriot blue
And a snorkel.

These are the options that matter.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score

To be honest, I don't like the lightbar on the Rene. It may be because I'm 59 years old. I do like the bumper mounted lights on my '05 Rene however.
Bruce

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm about to buy a Jeep Liberty(2002-2005). But as I do not have sufficient knowledge about specs of these vehicles, it s very hard for me to make a proper decision between Sport, Renegade and Limited.

- What is the difference between these models? Which one should I prefer for mostly on-road and sometimes off-road usage? Which one has Select-Track or Command-Track? Which models have Track-Lock?

- Besides 3.7, there's also a 2.4 option, but I'm not sure about its performance. What do you think?

Thank you for your help:)

Do we have you totally confused yet?(Aeh)(rotflmao)
Bruce

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here the rene's go for more.

Man, you got that right! I looked at '06 Rene at the dealer here in St Chuck before I bought my Sport. It was missing most of the Rene stuff except the flares. It had 27K on the clock and the stock tires were SHOT! It wasn't very clean overall. They were asking $17,900 for it. :eek::rolleyes: My Sport was priced starting at $16,9 and with only 9K on it.

I tried to deal on an '05 Rene on the used lot of the Toyoter dealer out here. They wouldn't budge. It was LOADED! I really kind of wish I wouldn't have been so hard headed on that deal. It had 36K on it, but was CLEAN! needencouragement.g:

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon, may I ask, why Renegade?
And aren't all Renegades supposed to come with automatic gearbox?
Most where auto's....some sere sticks though...

Like mine: '02 5-speed Renegade =D

The Renegades also have a heavier frame and so they weigh about 300 pounds more than the next heaviest model...which I assume would be the Limited. My '02 has served me well and is gonna hit 120k next month...as for the other years, I can't say anything from experience, so you'll have to listen to the others =P

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Your windows must suck. My KJ's windows are completely silent, even after 105k miles of smoker's window......

Yup, guess ThunderbirdJunkie's windows suck.

This makes him depressed.

Oooh, what will cure this depression? A nice drive in a functional Jeep is sure to get the blood flowing:D