Kj sport, renegade or limited?? 2.4 or 3.7??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm about to buy a Jeep Liberty(2002-2005). But as I do not have sufficient knowledge about specs of these vehicles, it s very hard for me to make a proper decision between Sport, Renegade and Limited.

- What is the difference between these models? Which one should I prefer for mostly on-road and sometimes off-road usage? Which one has Select-Track or Command-Track? Which models have Track-Lock?

- Besides 3.7, there's also a 2.4 option, but I'm not sure about its performance. What do you think?

Thank you for your help:)

jhblackwell

Reaction score
go to wikipedia and search "jeep liberty". good info on "package" options (sport, limited, etc.).

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Get an '02!
45RFE ******, its stronger than the 42RLE that comes in all 04-07's and some '03's. It comes with the stock front suspension skid plate, which is always good. Seats don't stain when you look at the like all the later years of the KJ. Comes with the np231 t-case which some say is a better over all t-case than the np242 which comes in the 04-07's, I believe.
As for the different choices in the rear end, well I'm no help there. lol
I have a sport and I love it. I love the plastic bumper too!! No worrying about scratching paint when bumping shopping carts out of the way! :D

And for the engine, 3.7 all the way.
Having the 2.4 is like making a midget push an f-350 by himself.

Sell him yours Aaron!

03CDKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02's are Prelowered... A little more lift than 03's+
03's have disk brakes in the rear instead of drum brakes in an 02... and a better interior. And have all the goodies the 02's had.... 45RFE... ETC..
04's + they started getting cheap.... They didn't even paint the hood under the insulation in 04's +
05-07's have a different bumper.... Smaller windshield.... Different interior.... mini van transfer case....

So get an 03'

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to the KJ it is all about the options packaging, otherwise they are pretty much all the same. Sunroof & Leather powered seats, overhead EVIC LCD display console for reading MPG and tire pressure are on many Renegade,Limited models. Skid plates etc are nice if you are going to be doing off road.
More importantly, how was the vehicle maintained and how many miles are on the KJ.
I personally am willing to spend more for a clean, well optioned vehicle with very low miles, no accidents, where the dealer,owner, could provide full history of maintenance.
I would never buy one with higher mileage and no history.
Enter in a diesel for better power and fuel mileage known as a CRD, that`s a whole new subject.

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally am willing to spend more for a clean, well optioned vehicle with very low miles, no accidents, where the dealer,owner, could provide full history of maintenance.
I would never buy one with higher mileage and no history.
+1 exactly what I did with my 06. I shopped around for many months looking for a clean and extremely well maintained KJ. I did and I've been quite happy since. The previous owner took so good care of it that you would swear I bought it straight from the factory. Extended warranty is also a big plus.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Get an '02!
Comes with the np231 t-case which some say is a better over all t-case than the np242 which comes in the 04-07's, I believe.
As for the different choices in the rear end, well I'm no help there. :D

And for the engine, 3.7 all the way.
Having the 2.4 is like making a midget push an f-350 by himself.

The 231 is the part time case in most of the KJ's. The 242 is the full time case in all of the kj's and It requires an auto ******. 3.7/6spd KJ's have the 241 part time case, which is stronger than the 231.

My personal advice is to avoid the CRD like the plaque. Most owners perform an extensive list of mods that are considered "required" and it is an orphaned engine in the US with only 12,000 or so sold. Just my opinion.

The D35 rear end is notoriously weak. The KJ 8.25 is a 29-spline rear end and should not be an issue.

Although there was some variation year-to-year, the only difference in the sport, renegade, and limited is appearance items. Early renegades may have a limited slip rear diff standard, but the later ones did not and the factory LSD is propbably almost non-functioning by now, anyway.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02' Pre-Lowered doesn't make a hill of beans difference anymore, the suspension has sagged by now anyway. Parked next to 02' a couple weeks ago and my 03' sits higher than his, asked him if the suspension feels spongy though and he did comment it needs some work. But even if you have one thats perfectly maintained unless the springs and shocks have been replaced recently with the correct parts its not going to be much higher if at all from sagging over the years.

Another note on the 03', they don't all have the 45RFE trans, my 03' is an 42RLE and mine is a Feb 03' manufacture date, so its a 50/50 shot at best finding an 03' with the earlier trans. Is this a concern though?? Not really, considering there is far greater numbers of the 03-07' KJ running the 42RLE and very minimal problems have been reported. I do know guys with the 45RFE that have experienced the blown accumulator plate, not just in the KJ but other Dodge/Chrysler vehicles that used it, so the 45RFE isn't bulletproof either. There is an aftermarket stronger plate that can fix that problem however, and if you service the trans with a fluid and filter change check the tightness of the bolts holding that plate as if they get loose then it usually fails, not an expensive fix but time consuming and labor intensive if it happens.

Taking stock of any problems reported on here, and what options or model years were involved, i'm very happy to have my middle of the road 03'.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. They've been very helpful, and greatly appreciated:)

I don't want to buy the CRD or 2.4 version, so I should better stick to KJ 2003 Limited with Selec-Trac, hope I got it right?

An what do you think about the Trac-Loc LSD? Is it really necessary or should I ignore it? I don't want to get stuck in mud, sand or snow..That is my main concern about LSD, but never experienced it before confused.gif

BTW, the differences between Sport, Renegade and Limited packages are listed below(Trac-loc is optional in all packages I guess):

Standard Features:

Sport:

* 6-speed manual transmission
* Command Trac part time 4-wheel drive system
* 16' luxury-styled steel wheels
* AM/FM stereo with CD player
* Cloth seats
* Air conditioning
* Enhanced accident response system
* Full-length floor console
* Illuminated entry
* Rear 65/35 rear seats
* Power convenience group
* Power rack-and-pinion steering

Renegade:

* 4-speed automatic transmission
* 3.7-liter V6 engine
* Command Trac heavy-duty, part time 4-wheel drive system
* 16' aluminum wheels
* Skid plates
* Roof-mounted light bar

Rocky Mountain (in addition to the Sport's standard equipment only):

* 16' aluminum whels with painted inlets
* Cloth seats with logo
* Power sunroof

Limited adds (in addition to the Sport's standard equipment only):

* Selec Trac full time 4-wheel drive system
* 17' aluminum wheels
* 6-disc CD changer
* Mini overhead console
* Vehicle information center
* Premium fender flares
* Lock-up torque converter
* Premium door trim panels

Impressive Options:

* 2.8-liter common-rail turbo diesel, 4-cylinder engine (Sport and Limited only)
* Anti-lock brakes
* Trac-loc differential axle
* Leather seating surfaces
* 5-speed automatic transmission

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard Features:

Sport:

* 6-speed manual transmission
* Command Trac part time 4-wheel drive system
* 16' luxury-styled steel wheels
* AM/FM stereo with CD player
* Cloth seats
* Air conditioning
* Enhanced accident response system
* Full-length floor console
* Illuminated entry
* Rear 65/35 rear seats
* Power convenience group
* Power rack-and-pinion steering

Renegade:

* 4-speed automatic transmission
* 3.7-liter V6 engine
* Command Trac heavy-duty, part time 4-wheel drive system
* 16' aluminum wheels
* Skid plates
* Roof-mounted light bar

Rocky Mountain (in addition to the Sport's standard equipment only):

* 16' aluminum whels with painted inlets
* Cloth seats with logo
* Power sunroof

Limited adds (in addition to the Sport's standard equipment only):

* Selec Trac full time 4-wheel drive system
* 17' aluminum wheels
* 6-disc CD changer
* Mini overhead console
* Vehicle information center
* Premium fender flares
* Lock-up torque converter
* Premium door trim panels

Impressive Options:

* 2.8-liter common-rail turbo diesel, 4-cylinder engine (Sport and Limited only)
* Anti-lock brakes
* Trac-loc differential axle
* Leather seating surfaces
* 5-speed automatic transmission
Most of that is not always true.

The KJ never got the 6 speed manual till '06,had a 5 speed for '02-'05.17" rims is not standard for a limited(I know I have a Limited,it came with 16" rims) or the mini overhaed consule.And all Renegades did not come with all the skid plates and even a lightbar.ABS did not become standard until '06+,was a option on the '02-'05's.

The few knowns are you can not get a manual trans with the 242 t-case, and the trash loc LSD was a option for any KJ and was never a standard option,no LSD for '06+ KJ's either(they get the evil ESP).Everything eles in the above was a option for any model besides the CRD stuff.'02 and early '03's got the 45RFE auto trans,mid-'03+ got the 42RLE auto trans.If the KJ was built before April 12th 2002 is sits 3/4" higher then the newer ones.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Why is it that every single one of these threads starts out with a bunch of crap, (incorrect info) that ends up corrected in the end?

Sorry, I had to say it.

'03 is a good year. Just make sure all recalls are done. Selec-Trac is a very convenient feature, used mine regularly. I had the 2.8L Diesel, which had as much torque as a V8 engine. Used to break loose in the rain all the time in 2WD. Ignore Trac-Loc. You probably won't find many with that option anyway.

Which transmission you get ultimately does not matter. ALL are reliable units that perform well in the KJ. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get an '03 or '04 Renegade, with a manual gearbox.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
3.7 Limited w/selec-trac and leather seats FTW!:p

Yes... :D

Marlon, may I ask, why Renegade?
And aren't all Renegades supposed to come with automatic gearbox?

Most where auto's....some sere sticks though...
Most of that is not always true.

The KJ never got the 6 speed manual till '06,had a 5 speed for '02-'05.17" rims is not standard for a limited(I know I have a Limited,it came with 16" rims) or the mini overhaed consule.And all Renegades did not come with all the skid plates and even a lightbar.ABS did not become standard until '06+,was a option on the '02-'05's.

02-04, yes, but in 05-07 17" rims were standard on Limiteds unless it was a CRD....:)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what you want is a 4wd with the 3.7 all else is what you prefer
T-case strength matters very little when the front diff is there as a "fuse"
track lock ,AKA trash lock, is not even worth looking for ,they may last 30K miles
leather or cloth ,who cares if the seats are stained get it for less and put on seat covers
the trans will depend on how well it was cared for ,the 45rfe has deeper gearing in reverse but if you mash the gas the 42rle will go unless you are running stock gears and 32's
dont worry about suspension on a used KJ replace it soon after you get it because the stuck stuff ,like the trash lock, is maybe good for 30K

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 42RLE in my April 03 Ltd. I actually prefer the changes in this to the 45RFE. The 45 just feels a bit agricultural and you get that thing which feels like someone ran up your **** when you stop. I would definately look for the Full Time 4x4.
I wish I had skids on the Ltd (the sport has the front one only).

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you've got the body style you like you can make it look like what ever model you want it to. I've got a sport, but I'm a set of fender flares and light bar away from a rene.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should do that and then take it to the dealer and see what they would give me for it. Around here the rene's go for more. I think it's the flares...

Latest posts

Members online