KJ pet peeves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and Chud, my KJ will downshift out of OD if I step down on it. It's when I'm smoothly accelerating to 65, it drops into OD seemingly too soon. I think it was JeepJeepster who mentioned he likes to manually turn off OD on the on-ramps because of this...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Some of you may be confusing O/D with the lockup torque converter. If OD is off, the lockup clutch locks-up n 3rd gear, at 35MPH, where 45 is normal (and has been with other card I had), and at 35? That's just too low a speed. Now, 4th (O/D) shifts fine for me, and with average pressure on the pedal, the TQC does not lockup till 50MPH for me, that's fine. It's the 3rd gear, then LOCKUP that bothers me...

I think these values are low, because this engine is made for low end torque, with 2-valves per cylinder, and the new cam profile in 2005. Still, I don't like the TQC locking up at 35mph in 3rd gear.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
mines perfect nothing wrong with it , just as I expected it would be. Never even drove one before I bought it either.
After 80 plus vehicles, 14 brand new ones,( Jeep, Ford , GMCs) plus 3 new Harleys the Liberty was the size, shape, power etc that I wanted and after 122000 miles would buy a KJ again ( if they still made them...:))

ranger81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really hate the seats in my 06. Hard, thinly cushioned and water stained. Auto ****** is unrefined. Shifts are sloppy. In the winter time I hate the ABLS. Damn it if I want to spin the tires in the snow then let me. Sure could use more foot room in the front. I'll have to admit I'm a lukewarm Libby owner. Maybe it will grow on me.
Edit- and I forgot to mention the water and cold air leak in the the passenger foot well.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) I do not like the lack of power when you "punch" it so to speak. My explorer had the same power and felt like a rocket compared to my KJ.

2) I do not like the narrow feet quarters down by the pedals. If you don't keep your feet pointed inwards, you end up resting your toes (of your boots or shoes) on the carpet and my Weather Tech floor liners don't go up that high.

3) Where is storage space? The glove box is useless. The center arm rest storage is tiny as hell and there is nowhere to put your glasses or anything that you would normally rest on the dash.

4) Fuel filler, I agree with all!

5) Trying to get things out of the rear without opening the rear gate. I can't reach so well and when I stood onto the bumper it sounded as if it was going to let lose. Wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't have to park where I do.

Other than that, I really love this thing more than I thought I would. I wish I had the roof lights on my Renegade, but it's cool.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Tom,I've beat the living s$%t out of my KJ and it keeps going and has never once left me stranded.Heck it sat in storage for a total of 2 years(two 1 year long deployments,thanks Army) and still going strong though the storage time has started a very small weeping on the outer timing chain covers,no biggie a engine swap is in the future anyway.I took my KJ to it's limit(and past many,many times) with no issues that where not my own dumb fault.Time for upgrading and I'll see how far I can push the unibody before a Exo Cage is required:D.

My manual seat levers are frozen(rusted) in there current place,never move them since I am the only person that drives my KJ,all others will die if they attempt:D.No need for power seats,less to go wrong.

I'm still have all 4 OEM window regulators:D

I have two 10" subs and a 750watt amp so I hear no squeaks or rattles:D,couldn't care less anyways,plastic squeaks and rattles, no way around it.

My '02 Limited seats are comfy,made many 1500 miles trips and I have a severly messed up back and no issues.

Never had a issue in the 7 years of ownership putting gas into my KJ.

Okay there is one very small grip I have but it will soon be taken care of.I hate carpet and a vinyl replacement(1/8" and formed) arrived via UPS to take care of that issue.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and Chud, my KJ will downshift out of OD if I step down on it. It's when I'm smoothly accelerating to 65, it drops into OD seemingly too soon. I think it was JeepJeepster who mentioned he likes to manually turn off OD on the on-ramps because of this...

yup, that was me. The button is pushed before my seat belt goes on. :)

Murray

Reaction score
My pet peeve is that it did not come from factor with a lift and 31's on it . or a SFA. The could have made the front pumpkin out of stronger metal. But i love my Liberty its fun to drive on and off road.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backup lights aren't very bright, and the fact that I can't put on a sunroof air deflector thing with the renegade light bar installed.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I saw a 2003 Renegade (Same colour as yours as well) at a repo lot with the factory light bar and a sunroof air deflector.
I was going to buy it and sell my 2004 Sport, but the original owner made good on his loan!:(
I'll dig around in my links to see if I can find what you are looking for.

Cheers
Ry'

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey KJ zGal, you need the sun roof air deflector. I mean NEED. Remove the light bar and sell it to me. I don't have a sun roof so there won't be a problem for me. laugh.gif

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where do I start
"up side down ball joints" ,long story but the just is that the weight should rest on a ball joint not hang from it
aluminum front diff
odd ball font diff ,no 4.56 and 4.88 gears
CV joints on the drive shafts ,what the heck is wrong with U-joints

now the fact that the after market world looks at the KJ as the bastard step child of Jeep because it replaced the XJ is not really Jeep's fault
how ever it would have helped if they had thought it out first
ok so IFS rides better ,great, why use a weak and odd ball front diff?
use some thing that is strong and can be geared
and then why make the front suspension so a$$ backwards that no one wants to take the time to make a lift for it
then again even if they did make a lift for the backwards suspension it would be pointless as all you can run on the weak front diff is 31's maybe 32's

yeah I am going to keep the one we have
I will put 4.10's on it
along with a LSD up front and a Locker out back ,True Track and Detroit
probably going to put an ARB bumper on and find a reasonable rear bumper or have one made
then wheel it on the easier local trails until I can change the oil through the tail pipe
maybe by then Jeep will have released the 4 door JK CRD

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only pet peeves i got are its under powered, not that much trunk space, the way its kinda clumsy shifting on the highway, and it didnt come with a key for the spare tire wheel lock but i fixed that, and the drivers seat doesnt roll back enough. im only 5'10 and with the seat all the way back my knees still wind up hittin the dash by the steering column.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
the only pet peeves i got are its under powered, not that much trunk space, the way its kinda clumsy shifting on the highway, and it didn't come with a key for the spare tire wheel lock but i fixed that, and the drivers seat doesn't roll back enough. Im only 5'10 and with the seat all the way back my knees still wind up hitting the dash by the steering column.

I'm 6' 5" and and my legs are 37 inches long... But I can sit comfortably behind the drivers seat without touching the dashboard. And my youngest daughter Alex can sit behind me comfortably.
Oh, and she is 12 years old and she is 5' 8.5" inches tall, and is three inches taller than my wife Jen!
Mind you, the four door 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport I was going to buy originally had less leg room for me behind the drivers seat and only enough leg room for a double amputee behind the driver!