KJ pet peeves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My biggest KJ pet peeve is that people come in and ask will this lift work and will these tires fit, etc. Then they never post again. It's there a freeking set of stickies. Can we make people read all of those before the join/post.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my Pet Peves....although, I do like my Jeep.

1. Terrible Gas Mileage.
This is funny to me, because I also own a Toyota Rav-4. A month after I bought my Jeep, I read a consumer magazine gas rating review comparison for small SUV class vehicles. It just so happens my Rav-4 had the best gas mileage in the small SUV class, and my Jeep Liberty had the worst gas mileage in it's class. Go figure....I unknowingly bought the best and worst in class for gas mileage. :D I know by Jeep has a larger V-6 engine but we're talking a 10 MPG difference in vehicles that are pretty similar in size and function....and the 10 MPG difference is with the Jeep in 2 wheel drive, while the Rav-4 is in full-time 4WD. It's a Jeep

2. Tough Steering with 4WD engaged.
I've got another post going, trying to figure out if this is normal or not....but it feels like the vehicle is going to jump and crash into the vehicle I'm parking next to, when I'm pulling into a parking space and having to make a sharp turn with 4WD engaged. If this happens you don't need 4WD on at that time.

3. Center console window control only.
This seems like Chrysler is just trying to be cheap and save an extra few pennies by putting all the window control between the driver and passenger on the center console. I'm sure it's cheaper to use a single centrally located window controller than it is to make multiple ones that are located near the Window they control. Everyone who gets in my Jeep and tries to roll their passenger window down, reaches and presses the door lock. So let me get this straight??? They put the door lock control, next to "The Door" it locks.....but they DON'T put the Window control next to the "Window"? That is one of the dumbest things, I have ever seen. Most every vehicle puts the window controls next to the window, so everyone that gets in my vehicle presses the door locks, just due to expecting it to be in that location.

4. Rear Window unlatch on Remote
At 1st, I thought it was pretty cool that when I pressed a button on the remote, that I was able to release the back hatch window.....but now that I've owned the vehicle for awhile, I come to realize......what the heck do I need that feature for??? It's not like the door opens with it automatically, so when I have my hands full, I can load stuff in the back by just pressing a button....I still need to open up the rear door to put stuff in the back of the vehicle. But now, when I'm walking away from the vehicle and go to lock my doors and accidentally hit the window hatch release...I now realize this feature is more of a pain in the rear, than the benefit. Yeah....there's also been a couple times, where my wife forgot to lock the vehicle and we where in the house. So she points the remote out the house window to lock the vehicle and accidentally pushes that window hatch release button. So now it's not like you can press the button again and have it automatically close....but it's time to throw your shoes and coat on so you can go outside and close the window you accidentally opened.

The ONLY thing I found this feature useful for, is when I have my 2 Labs in the back. I can pop the rear hatch window, so they can hang their heads outside. Thanks for thinking about a great feature for my dogs Jeep....but useless for any practical human use.It's only for us tall people, sorry midgets

I am an ass.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Terrible Gas Mileage.
This is funny to me, because I also own a Toyota Rav-4. A month after I bought my Jeep, I read a consumer magazine gas rating review comparison for small SUV class vehicles. It just so happens my Rav-4 had the best gas mileage in the small SUV class, and my Jeep Liberty had the worst gas mileage in it's class. Go figure....I unknowingly bought the best and worst in class for gas mileage. (biggrin) I know by Jeep has a larger V-6 engine but we're talking a 10 MPG difference in vehicles that are pretty similar in size and function....and the 10 MPG difference is with the Jeep in 2 wheel drive, while the Rav-4 is in full-time 4WD. It's a Jeep
A rav4 is a only a corrola,they share the same basic platform and is why it gets better mpg's.Plus the rav4 is a FWD car with rear wheel assist,it is not powering the rear wheels until the ABS sensors detect wheel spin.The rav4 is also not any where close to being in the same class as a KJ and those consumer reports are crap since you ever gives the most money to them is who gets the better review.Heck they think the rav4 is better offroad then a Wrangler Rubicon that comes standard with F/R lockers and 4:1 low t-case,go figure.Not to mention the KJ is about 1000lbs heavier then a rav4.A Jeep is not ment for mpg's,get over it or get rid of it,no use complaining about it.

2. Tough Steering with 4WD engaged.
I've got another post going, trying to figure out if this is normal or not....but it feels like the vehicle is going to jump and crash into the vehicle I'm parking next to, when I'm pulling into a parking space and having to make a sharp turn with 4WD engaged. If this happens you don't need 4WD on at that time.
DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every true 4wd vehicle in part time 4wd has the same problem.

3. Center console window control only.
This seems like Chrysler is just trying to be cheap and save an extra few pennies by putting all the window control between the driver and passenger on the center console. I'm sure it's cheaper to use a single centrally located window controller than it is to make multiple ones that are located near the Window they control. Everyone who gets in my Jeep and tries to roll their passenger window down, reaches and presses the door lock. So let me get this straight??? They put the door lock control, next to "The Door" it locks.....but they DON'T put the Window control next to the "Window"? That is one of the dumbest things, I have ever seen. Most every vehicle puts the window controls next to the window, so everyone that gets in my vehicle presses the door locks, just due to expecting it to be in that location.
It is cheaper to make,it is also cheaper to fix saving you money.Plus the upside is most Jeep's that actually get used will benifit from this design as the switches are less likely to short out when it's raining and you have the windows down.Sounds stupid doesn;t it to drive in the rain with the windows down doesn't it? You don't do much wheeling then to see the benifit and the need to poke your head out to place your tire correctly on a obstical.

4. Rear Window unlatch on Remote
At 1st, I thought it was pretty cool that when I pressed a button on the remote, that I was able to release the back hatch window.....but now that I've owned the vehicle for awhile, I come to realize......what the heck do I need that feature for??? It's not like the door opens with it automatically, so when I have my hands full, I can load stuff in the back by just pressing a button....I still need to open up the rear door to put stuff in the back of the vehicle. But now, when I'm walking away from the vehicle and go to lock my doors and accidentally hit the window hatch release...I now realize this feature is more of a pain in the rear, than the benefit. Yeah....there's also been a couple times, where my wife forgot to lock the vehicle and we where in the house. So she points the remote out the house window to lock the vehicle and accidentally pushes that window hatch release button. So now it's not like you can press the button again and have it automatically close....but it's time to throw your shoes and coat on so you can go outside and close the window you accidentally opened.
You know that is tells you how to change that feature in the owners manual so it takes 2 presses of the button to open the rear glass right?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My biggest KJ pet peeve is that people come in and ask will this lift work and will these tires fit, etc. Then they never post again. It's there a freeking set of stickies. Can we make people read all of those before the join/post.
Or how about the inability to read the owners manual? 50% of the questions can be answered in that little book.I read mine the same day I bought my KJ,sadly most have not one clue what one is or where to find it.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or how about the inability to read the owners manual? 50% of the questions can be answered in that little book.I read mine the same day I bought my KJ,sadly most have not one clue what one is or where to find it.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt. MY KJ's manual was stolen from a black KJ with a sunroof and tow package that I almost bought.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It is cheaper to make,it is also cheaper to fix saving you money.Plus the upside is most Jeep's that actually get used will benifit from this design as the switches are less likely to short out when it's raining and you have the windows down.Sounds stupid doesn;t it to drive in the rain with the windows down doesn't it? You don't do much wheeling then to see the benifit and the need to poke your head out to place your tire correctly on a obstical.

You know that is tells you how to change that feature in the owners manual so it takes 2 presses of the button to open the rear glass right?

That's what I like about the window switches.....

The previous owner must have had trouble with the tailgate, becasue you have to hit it twice on mine.....I'm fine with that.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHUD:As awfull as I find what happened, that must have been in older cars. Here in Europe we have a system that automaticaly lowers the window when it 'feels' that there is something in the way. I suppose you guys get those systems too by now?

Yeah, that was one of the sad points of this story: American car makers were making their Euro exports with the "safe" windows & leaving the dangerous windows for us Yanks. I'm not sure which US vehicles are now equipped with the "smart" auto-down windows, but I know the KJ isn't.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was one of the sad points of this story: American car makers were making their Euro exports with the "safe" windows & leaving the dangerous windows for us Yanks. I'm not sure which US vehicles are now equipped with the "smart" auto-down windows, but I know the KJ isn't.

This is why our window regulators go out so easy. Its a 'safety feature'. Instead of hurting anyone, it will just break a $400 regulator.

Edit: (leaving you using a ducttape tab/wooden wedge window up and down system like I had for upwards of 6 months.)

Last edited:

flintlock

Reaction score
I miss my XJ
SFA true four wheel drive, more cargo space.
All in all I got nothing against the KJ

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A rav4 is a only a corrola,they share the same basic platform and is why it gets better mpg's.Plus the rav4 is a FWD car with rear wheel assist,it is not powering the rear wheels until the ABS sensors detect wheel spin.The rav4 is also not any where close to being in the same class as a KJ and those consumer reports are crap since you ever gives the most money to them is who gets the better review.Heck they think the rav4 is better offroad then a Wrangler Rubicon that comes standard with F/R lockers and 4:1 low t-case,go figure.Not to mention the KJ is about 1000lbs heavier then a rav4.A Jeep is not ment for mpg's,get over it or get rid of it,no use complaining about it.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every true 4wd vehicle in part time 4wd has the same problem.

It's funny to me because the title of this thread is "Pet Peeves". READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD. As in I'M NOT COMPLAINING IDIOT!!!! 16 MPG for a V6 is awful......and people wonder why Chrysler can't sell any cars.:confused:

By the way.....the consumers report was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about the gas mileage....I OWN BOTH VEHICLES SO I GUESS I WOULD KNOW.....I didn't have to read the consumer report to figure that out. IDIOT!!!

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

And the RAV 4 is in the same class as the Jeep Liberty.....it's called the compact SUV class. You act like the Liberty is some huge 4x4 monster.....don't make me laugh. 90% of the buyers of the Liberty are women and elders looking for something that will get them through the snow. My Rav-4 with it's AWD goes through just as much mud and snow as my Liberty. Say what you want about the Rav-4....you're obviously a Jeep fanatic and it's obvious from your comments that the Liberty is great compared to the Rav-4. You couldn't be further from the truth. I own both vehicles.....I like both vehicles. The Rav-4 from top to bottom is a better vehicle than the Liberty. Thus why my Rav-4 while being the same year as my Liberty, and the original cost new of each was about $25K, my Rav-4 is worth $4000 more than my Liberty.....because the Rav-4 is a better vehicle and maintains it's resale value. I also don't have to worry about my Rav-4 getting hit on the side and having it roll over like the Jeep Liberty is prone to doing.

Don't know what I'm talking about??? Read for yourself....
http://www.accidentreconstruction.com/research/suv/jeepliberty112101.asp
http://bridger.us/2005/07/14/the_jeep_liberty_unsafe_and_any_speed/

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's funny to me because the title of this thread is "Pet Peeves". READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD. As in I'M NOT COMPLAINING IDIOT!!!! 16 MPG for a V6 is awful......and people wonder why Chrysler can't sell any cars.:confused:

By the way.....the consumers report is RIGHT about the gas mileage....I OWN BOTH VEHICLES SO I GUESS I WOULD KNOW.....I didn't have to read the consumer report to figure that out. IDIOT!!!

And the RAV 4 is in the same class as the Jeep Liberty.....it's called the compact SUV class. You act like the Liberty is some huge 4x4 monster.....don't make me laugh. My Rav-4 with it's AWD goes through just as much mud and snow as my Liberty. Say what you want about the Rav-4....you're obviously a Jeep fanatic and it's obvious from your comments that the Liberty is great compared to the Rav-4. You couldn't be further from the truth. I own both vehicles.....I like both vehicles. The Rav-4 from top to bottom is a better vehicle than the Liberty. Thus why my Rav-4 while being the same year as my Liberty, and the original cost new of each was about $25K, my Rav-4 is worth $4000 more than my Liberty.....because the Rav-4 is a better vehicle and maintains it's resale value. I also don't have to worry about my Rav-4 getting hit on the side and having it roll over like the Jeep Liberty is prone to doing.

BREATHE!!!! BREATHE!!!! I too agree the KJ and Rav4 are in the same class, but they both appeal to different needs.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny to me because the title of this thread is "Pet Peeves". As in I'M NOT COMPLAINING IDIOT!!!! 16 MPG for a V6 is awful......and people wonder why Chrysler can't sell any cars.:confused:

By the way.....the consumers report is RIGHT about the gas mileage....I OWN BOTH VEHICLES SO I GUESS I WOULD KNOW.....I didn't have to read the consumer report to figure that out. IDIOT!!!

And the RAV 4 is in the same class as the Jeep Liberty.....it's called the compact SUV class. You act like the Liberty is some huge 4x4 monster.....don't make me laugh. My Rav-4 with it's AWD goes through just as much mud and snow as my Liberty. Say what you want about the Rav-4....you're obviously a Jeep fanatic and it's obvious from your comments that the Liberty is great compared to the Rav-4. You couldn't be further from the truth. I own both vehicles.....I like both vehicles. The Rav-4 from top to bottom is a better vehicle than the Liberty. Thus why my Rav-4 while being the same year as my Liberty, and the original cost new of each was about $25K, my Rav-4 is worth $4000 more than my Liberty.....because the Rav-4 is a better vehicle and maintains it's resale value. I also don't have to worry about my Rav-4 getting hit on the side and having it roll over like the Jeep Liberty is prone to doing.

1st off the rav4 is a corolla,a car,yes it is true.2nd a car will get better mpg's then a Jeep,and it just get's lumped into the same class as the KJ which it doesn't belong,the KJ I mean.There are very few vehicles that are really in the same class as the KJ/KK if you go by what they actually are,and a rav4 is not one since it is not a 4wd vehicle,it's a FWD with rear wheel assist.The KJ also is about 1000lbs heavier then the rav4/corolla.I know for a fact a KJ can go through more mud and snow then a rav4/corolla with rear wheel assist only,even when the KJ is totally stock since it have the 4low option,heck I can go through more in my KJ right now and I'm rocking 2wd right at the moment(long story).As far as resale value of course a car with better mpg's at this moment has a better resale value,didn't you see that Geo Metro go for $10,000 on ebay?I'm not a Jeep fanatic by any means,I just get to know and understand the current vehicle I am driving,now I'm a H1 fanatic,not to be confused with those so called H2's/H3's(blarg).

Oh and the KJ is not prone to rollovers,that 1st story was a fluke and was later debunked by car and driver(who rolled it),they could not reproduce the rollover by any means,totally driver error on a 2wd version.If you understand your not driving a car when driving a KJ then you have about as much chance of rolling one over then you would rolling a Viper.Ride in my KJ and you'll be wetting your pants on some of the severe off camber situations I've gotten in and no rollovers and I'm lifted and running no rear swaybar either.

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Jeep fanatic by any means,I just get to know and understand the current vehicle I am driving.

I'm happy for you that you spend so much time getting to know your vehicle. I read parts of my owners manual. Things that I felt I needed to know. Some things were not exactly clear to me in the manual....thus, why I decided to come to this forum and ask a question about something I was not sure of, since the owner manual was not correct with the information in it. I thought, maybe I would talk to some knowledgeable people who would be happy to share some information and help me understand. Thus user forums are usually built around people with common interests who can help and discuss things with each other and share knowledge. On the most part, I found some pretty friendly and helpful people on this forum. Then I additionally had to deal with a couple putzes like yourself, who feel they are more knowledgeable and some how superior to everyone else and additionally feel EVERYONE should dedicate themselves to learning the inside and out of their vehicle before they even drive it or WASTE YOUR PRECIOUS TIME by asking questions.

One thing has become obviously clear to me when I visit this forum. YOU are not here to help people in forum discussions. YOU are here to feed your inferior complex fragile ego and you do that by criticizing people and talking down to them while at the same time making yourself feel superior by gloating with the knowledge you think you have over others that are asking the questions. YOU are a putz who thinks he is a "know it all". I might not know everything about my vehicle....but at least I'm willing to admit that and I'm not afraid to ask questions, so that I can learn. My observations are that you are busy talking out your azz and you really don't know sh*t.

HAVE A NICE DAY. :thumbsup:

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
luxhello.gifluxhello.gif OH smack!!

I was given this Jeep, and I took it thinking "it's free" and it will get me around! Well, let me tell you I am completely impressed with it!!

I am used to full frame 4X4's and I have always had ARB lockers and lifts.

This one is just about stock with my few mods (sig line) and she is great just like she is! While camping in PA mt's we took a wrong turn and found ourselves on a "drivable trail" don't EVER believe that sign! I really wanted to turn around as I didn't think this Jiberty would make it without damage! the trail was only about 1.5 miles but it took us 3 hours, YES it was that tricky. Boulders and tight turns!!! But let me tell you what this JEEP managed it extremely well, just like a JEEP should and we got out with no damage whatsoever. I'm no beginner off the pavement! But I was leary cuz I didn't want to get stuck out there with no cell service and my 2 kids and wife. Did I mention the bears and the rattlesnakes? After that day my thoughts on this Jeep changed and I baby her, even made a hole in my garage for her! I'm out here right now clay bar/ swirlX/polish and waxing her. Boy does she look good, even for a factory crapo paint job!(mud)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy for you that you spend so much time getting to know your vehicle. I read parts of my owners manual. Things that I felt I needed to know. Some things were not exactly clear to me in the manual....thus, why I decided to come to this forum and ask a question about something I was not sure of, since the owner manual was not correct with the information in it. I thought, maybe I would talk to some knowledgeable people who would be happy to share some information and help me understand. Thus user forums are usually built around people with common interests who can help and discuss things with each other and share knowledge. On the most part, I found some pretty friendly and helpful people on this forum. Then I additionally had to deal with a couple putzes like yourself, who feel they are more knowledgeable and some how superior to everyone else and additionally feel EVERYONE should dedicate themselves to learning the inside and out of their vehicle before they even drive it or WASTE YOUR PRECIOUS TIME by asking questions.

One thing has become obviously clear to me when I visit this forum. YOU are not here to help people in forum discussions. YOU are here to feed your inferior complex fragile ego and you do that by criticizing people and talking down to them while at the same time making yourself feel superior by gloating with the knowledge you think you have over others that are asking the questions. YOU are a putz who thinks he is a "know it all". I might not know everything about my vehicle....but at least I'm willing to admit that and I'm not afraid to ask questions, so that I can learn. My observations are that you are busy talking out your azz and you really don't know sh*t.

HAVE A NICE DAY. :thumbsup:
(kneel)

No seriously I've been in the business for 13 years,I work on all makes and models and now most of the pro's and con's of most vehicles on the road in the US.I get paid to know and I don't sugar coat anything,I'm rather blunt and that's why I'm not allowed to deal with customers.I'm a true gearhead,which is very rare now days,and a bit old fashion.Guess it's bad that 75GB of my hard drive is FSM's.

Oh and did I mention the KJ was the last new Jeep to successfully run the Rubicon Trail in stock form? Let's see a rav4 get past the entrance to the trail alone.

Last edited:

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing has become obviously clear to me when I visit this forum. YOU are not here to help people in forum discussions.
:thumbsup:

FALSE. TJ and I have certainly disagreed on things on this forum, but one thing is for sure: he is always willing to help people with their KJ problems.

As far as the KJ and RAV4 being equal, :eek:!!! Have you ever done any real off-roading? If so, you'd know that the KJ is leaps and bounds ahead of the RAV4 in this dept.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
X2 We all know TJKJ :p and in doing so you take him with a grain of salt. This guy is one of, if not thee most knowledgeable guys on this forum and others.

Yes he has rubbed my fur the wrong way a time or two, but I still respect him and what he has to offer as help....in his own unique way. ;)

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, am I the only one who noticed the lack of storage space? Either noone else is bothered by it or my self proclaimed reputation of "thread killer" is dead on. Seems whenever I post up on something, other than geting drunk and driving through grass median, noone acknowlegdes it. cryinghard.gif I bet the Rav 4 has better storage space!!

kylewilley

Reaction score
I haven't read through all these posts so I don't know if I am repeating anyone. If I am, sorry but my pet peeve of the KJ is how the rear seats do not fold flat. It just seems like they should but nooOoOoOoOoOo they have to still at like a 45 degree